LegacyGT.com

Symptoms of bad injector?

So my car started missfiring after a few hours of running errands. The car was warm and then say for maybe ten minutes. I restarted the car and it immediately had a very obvious misfire. I read the code as a cylinder 3 misfire.

After getting the car home i tested the spark plug by swapping between 1 and 3 and the same for the coils. Then ran a compression test and everything looked okay, but the misfire stayed with cylinder three.

This morning after the car had sat overnight I noticed the car runs much better cold. I only drove it around the block a few times. But i noticed that as is warms up there is almost no power from a dead stop, but it gains power as the rpms rise.

After pulling back into the garage i started to tackle the fuel injectors and notice right away that cylinder three has a crack on the top of the injector. I intent to fix this. My question is, do these symptoms sound like they would come from the bad injector or does this sound like a bigger problem. Also what would people recommend as a brand or source to buy a quality replacement

I included two pictures. one of the cracked injector and the second of cylinder 1s injector without the crack.

1.thumb.png.5760cd560dd68ad7f6fe9db54317a8ac.png

20180213_123526.thumb.jpg.f38c33f79f35055d6d0c86bed81c878e.jpg

The grey circle on top (that's the crack you're referring to, right?) is a dustcap. Looks like maybe whoever installed it thought they could push on it. Crack in dustcap + time = ruined injector.

I would never recommend replacing the injector without first swapping, but it sounds like you have a very strong candidate here.

Sometimes reman injectors come without a dustcap, so make sure your replacement comes with one.

swap injectors between cylinders and see if the misfire follows the injector. if not its another issue. When I cleaned my injectors the problem came back but in a different cylinder. I switched the cylinders the injectors were in and the miss followed the injector, so after checking we determined it was the electrical connector on one of the injectors. Unfortunately cleaning them did not solve my issue, but I was going with bigger injectors anyway so it wasnt a huge deal.

Sorry if I was unclear. Replacing the dustcap is not going to solve your problem. An intact dustcap might have prevented this problem from happening, depending on what the problem is, but if the injector is now bad, you will need to address that.

Archived