LegacyGT.com

lowering springs recommendations/suggestions please

teducci

The reviews I have read of the STI pinks is that it's more than slightly aggressive. Aka it can be harsh.

Can you fit STI pinks on Konis? Do you just need the JDM / Spec.B tophat for them to work?

The springs are interchangeable between bilsteins and kyb based struts. The top hats are dependent on the strut you choose.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I ended up buying the JDM spec-b bilsteins that were for sale on here but still interested in sti pink set up do you guys think that switching from stock usdm gt stuts and springs to the jdm spec b setup will change the height at all ?

• 1 month later...
Wow I just went through all 81 pages. I've even inquired with some vendors.

07 Legacy Wagon GT

Goal: Near OEM ride height (+/- 0.5" of ride height forgiveness) while retaining a stiffer overall suspension setup.

From what I've read:

1. Go with H&R Sport springs with KyBs

2. Go with H&R Sport springs with Konis

If choosing 1 or 2, use a 3/8 or taller lift spacer for the rear. Using 1 or 2 leaves the option for using aftermarket anti-roll bars as well.

3. If baller status, go with Feal Coilovers with full suspension height available.

4. Go with Rallitek springs w/KYBs

If going 3 or 4, lift spacer not required, but aftermarket anti-roll bars are NOT recommended with the Rallitek springs.

All setups should allow for 18 x 8 wheels without fender rolling.

It took me A LOT of sorting just to find proper ride height photos.

Can someone elaborate on the statement about "anti-roll bars are NOT recommended with Rallitek springs"? (is anti-roll the same as (anti)sway bar)

I have 2005 LGT Wagon with koni yellows/stock springs, saggy butt spacerse, Whiteline sway bars Front/rear, kartboy endlinks. I want Eibach/Epic springs, but can't find them anywhere. The choices for wagons these days are H&R, Tein H-Tech, and Rallitek.

From reading, it seems that H&R get the most recommendations with Koni's.

The application is daily driver (stage 2 power), 17" wheels, in upstate NY. So snowy, not the greatest roads. I do want tighter handling than Koni/stock springs, but don't want too low or stiff.

Rallitek expanded on this somewhere (probably at Subaruoutback.org). It's basically what you would expect.

The cars have huge amounts of understeer from factory. This is good. The average drive knows how to handle understeer, just brake.

By stiffening the rear you are potentially making the car handle more neutral to oversteer. This is really bad for the average driver. Braking when the rear comes loose is how you turn a drift into a spin.

Rallitek's recommendation is on the extreme conservative side to keep the car's handling as close to OEM as possible.

Anti-roll and Anti-sway are the same. The point of putting on those bars is to make the car handle more neutral and help with body roll.

will lowering springs for a spec b fit on my 05 wagon. From what I've read springs should swap right over. just want to confirm it. I know id have to get different tophats when i replace the struts but I'm just swapping springs for now.

yes the springs will fit, however if the springs are specifically designed for bilsteins and you use GT/KYB style shocks/tophats you could end up lowering the front of your car a lot more than you had planned.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

yes the springs will fit, however if the springs are specifically designed for bilsteins and you use GT/KYB style shocks/tophats you could end up lowering the front of your car a lot more than you had planned.

why just the front?

spec.B front top hats have the side effect of lifting the car slightly. Its why most spec.B's look like the front is riding slightly high.

ahh makes sense. i can't find anything that says they are "spec b specific" on rally sports site they say they are confirmed for 05-09 lgt limited 05-06 gt (non limited) and spec b 06-09

*edit* they came off an 06 sedan (non spec b)

Edited by b_holm

i have no experience with the s-techs but most have said they are quite low on the legacy.

from what I've read the drop is 1.5 inches.not sure if ill like that much of a drop but I'm getting a killer deal so i figured why not

• 2 weeks later...

What model Rallitek springs have people been running on 2005 LGTs? This application is 2005 LGT Wagon currently with Konis, stock springs, saggy butt spacers, Whiteline swaybars Fr/Rr, Kartboy Endlinks.

How do they compare to H&Rs and to impossible to find Epic/Eibach?

Has anyone used Energy Suspension Coil Spring Isolators with something like H&R springs to reduce the drop? I was chatting with someone on FB who put on some swifts with the following isolators:

Front 9.6120 5/8" thick, rear 2601 .65" thick

If I was a millionaire, I'd reintroduce Eibachs for LGT. Of course there is no money but there is such a gap right now for good springs without the drop.

These "might" be your best options

http://www.rallitek.com/lowering-springs/6502-king-front-lowering-performance-springs-legacy-2004-2014.html

http://www.rallitek.com/lowering-springs/6489-king-rear-lowering-performance-springs-legacy-sedan-2000-2009.html

Only lowers 1 inch in front and 1.2 inches in the back.

The swifts are pretty similar (and cheaper) and lower 1.2 front and 1 inch rear

http://www.rallitek.com/lowering-springs/9397-swift-sport-lowering-springs-legacy-gt-wagon-2005-2009.html

Looks like there isn't a Ralitek branded spring unless you are looking to raise your vehicle 1 inch.

• 2 months later...

Alright guys, pretty new to the forum and this seemes like the best one for my question. I've finally made it through all the posts and have an idea of what I'm looking for. I just need some reinforcement and/or guidance.

I own a 2008 Legacy 2.5i 5MT sedan. Around 95,000 miles. DD but also like to rip twisties and do more spirited driving at times. Will be driving in MN and SD year round.

She needs new struts so I wanted to upgrade struts and springs all at once. Looking at Bilstein HDs but am trying to figure out which springs to get. I wouldn't mind being lower than stock but also want some upgraded performance. Fixing butt sag isn't a priority but I wouldn't mind evening it out.

From what I've gathered for springs I should be looking at pinks or swifts to match the Bilstein HDs. My only questions are these:

1) does anyone have a 2.5i with one of these set ups and if so tell me about your experience. how do you like it? How's the ride quality. Did you have issues with sag? Etc.

2) which of these options seem like the better choice for replacing struts and springs?

Any help is appreciated. Will be needing to do the replacement within the next month or so. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
I'd recommend the kyb gr2's and swift Springs. Had them on my last wagon and they were FANTASTIC. Not to harsh and got rid of the softness mostly associated with the stock Springs.

But with the KYB Excel-G's and Swift Springs on a sedan do you need the "Saggy Butt" spacers? I know you did on your wagon....

What have people's experience been in snow country on lowered cars? I live in upstate NY so definitely get some snow. And have dedicated snow tires.

I would be driving normal roads, plowed, but have had some tough commutes on a few occasions with deeper snow. I won't be seeking out deep snow for snow rallies.

This would be a 2005 Legacy GT wagon on 17" wheels with Konis / Epic springs. Right now I have stock springs on konis.

Thanks

Edited by ashwinearl

I was able to drive through snow over my license plate on konis/epics with 17's and continental snow tires. Absolute beast mode, had to scoop the snow out from the radiator area when I in the drive way.

I fear my GTI will never even come close to handling that.

What have people's experience been in snow country on lowered cars? I live in upstate NY so definitely get some snow. And have dedicated snow tires.

I would be driving normal roads, plowed, but have had some tough commutes on a few occasions with deeper snow. I won't be seeking out deep snow for snow rallies.

This would be a 2005 Legacy GT wagon on 17" wheels with Konis / Epic springs. Right now I have stock springs on konis.

Thanks

You'll be more than fine if you use winter tires. Don't worry about it.

My accord is much lower, doesn't have AWD or even an LSD, and has zero problems in deep snow with winter tires (General Altimax Arctics) fitted. I regularly would push it through headlight-level snowdrifts. I used to have a front lip on it too. After a foot of snowfall, I more or less plowed the SUNY IT campus down to a depth of 3 inches wherever I went.

After a ~10 inch storm:

http://i.imgur.com/BVm1ZMY.jpg

It drove out of this:

http://i.imgur.com/4aI8YRx.jpg

Summer Mode:

http://i.imgur.com/f5qrIyk.jpg?2

Last winter we didn't really get any snow in the Albany, NY area, so I didn't really get to play with the legacy much (although it was glorious when I did).

Edited by Phate

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone used Energy Suspension Coil Spring Isolators with something like H&R springs to reduce the drop? I was chatting with someone on FB who put on some swifts with the following isolators:

Front 9.6120 5/8" thick, rear 2601 .65" thick

If I was a millionaire, I'd reintroduce Eibachs for LGT. Of course there is no money but there is such a gap right now for good springs without the drop.

I couldn't agree more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

I live in Syracuse area and ride on stock struts H&R springs with no issues in the winter. Previous car was a 02 WRX on s-techs and still no issues with snow tires. Never thought twice about going out int he snow, but the under engine tray took a thrasing. Could have used a aluminum skid plate.

I'm so confused. I have an 08 spec b with serious saggy ass. Seems like the only fix for that is spacers. Even with new lowering coils? I would like to add a rear sway, so I would use 2 spacers. I also want to update the coilovers all the at around. I found some BC racing BR coilovers that say they are good for the spec b and fully adjustable. I only want the front to look like the back. So a 1" drop, and a little stiffer suspension. I want the car to stick to the road. I know tires are important there. But with bad suspension, the best tires don't matter. The tein street basis are way less expensive, but I can't find lowering info on either of them, or stiffness on the BC racing. And how does the spec b top hat affect aftermarket? They say top hat is included, so I should be good to go? Sorry for the rookie questions. The more I read, the more I get confused. Being new to turbo motors is taking up more brain space than I have at the moment.

Thanks for any help. Really appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk