LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Replaced my tranny mount with the Perrin one and Turn in Concepts pink crossmember bushings and on the way home shifting towards fifth, the shifter went waaaaay to much to the right. I didn’t touch anything in regards to the shifter linkage or anything in that area. I feel a rubbing or click type tension then it goes past fifth and sixth alignment axis. Why this all of a sudden? Shifter never went that far to the right, is that even possible?

Tomorrow, (weather permitting) I might swasp my steering joint for solid STI and will have a look in the shifter linkage area to see if I missed anything or torqued something wrong. I’m stumped. Any advice or help would be appreciated. It doesn’t hinder my driving, I can manage to shift 5th and 6th if I don’t push it too far to the right and no NVH or anything out of the ordinary. It’s just agravating when I don’t know the why and the how. Will take a gander at vacation pics to see if my brain can visualize a missed sequence or step, IDK. Has this happened to anyone here? Shifter stop??

08 spec.B

Sent my Rev C Bilsteins to Poway, Cali for a rebuild and repair. Just received an email that they're moving facilities and won't be up and running for awhile. They thankfully recommended Power Shocks in Sonoma to have the struts serviced and spec'd to the wagon pinks.
:yeahthat:

What should I check for? Sorry for stupid question. I can go in reverse no problem.

Did the handle ball pop out of the socket, or move up somehow? There shouldn't be that much of movement to be abnormal when it is fully seated in the socket.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Drove it on a 900 mile road trip, no new noises and oil looked normal changed afterwards. Still sorta want to pull it out and split the block and look at stuff. Two friends have told me I have a mental illness.

You need more friends :lol:

Sent my Rev C Bilsteins to Poway, Cali for a rebuild and repair. Just received an email that they're moving facilities and won't be up and running for awhile. They thankfully recommended Power Shocks in Sonoma to have the struts serviced and spec'd to the wagon pinks.

I used to work across the street from that facility.

Drove it on a 900 mile road trip, no new noises and oil looked normal changed afterwards. Still sorta want to pull it out and split the block and look at stuff. Two friends have told me I have a mental illness.

I'm tending to agree with your friends.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It's a sickness, I get it...

Now I have a squeaky bushing on one of my rear trailing arms. Can't just replace it, have to look at aluminum rear trailing arms and bushings...

I'm just scrolling through enjoying all of the progress and crazy ideas. Updates on my own boat anchor coming soon. I'm about to lose my frequent flyer miles on oil consumption since my car has been in pieces since October :) Edited by jaylew
I can’t spell

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

Spent a few hours dissecting my '05 passenger seat to remove the occupant sensor rig (octopus) to transplant into the '11 STi seat I have to take its place.

The crazy system for '05. Each strain sensor on the corner weighs in at approx 2.5lbs...

It's nasty to transplant because it's actually designed to be the connectors between the rails and the seat cushion.

IMG_8430.thumb.jpg.77e3eb984585e0cf46e92d6274c68060.jpg

The 2011 STi system, super simple and light weight...

Would love to keep this one, but haven't figured out how to yet.

IMG_8437.thumb.jpg.0ff66df51bae2e6ad29d9f41454717dd.jpg

I'm debating trying to see if I can swap the SRS over as well or if it's enough to just get the occupant system working so I can have the dash airbags.

I'm looking at using worm clamps to simulate someone in the seat at all times.

Maybe some day in the future (not finals week), I'll see if I can simulate the voltage needed from the strain "sensors" and remove 10lbs from under the seat.

Did the handle ball pop out of the socket, or move up somehow? There shouldn't be that much of movement to be abnormal when it is fully seated in the socket.

No, it all feels normal. Nothing out of place but as I keep reading forums and as Marvickgt mentioned, it might have to do with reverse cable. It seems in place but could’ve loosened adjustment inadvertently. Will investigate further. Thx

Edited by luckybullitt

First time pulling a turbo and it honestly was easier than pulling a jammer off a plane. Packing it up and shipping to JMP this morning to receive his custom rebuild/inconel upgrade.

Now, time to jump into the FSM and find other things to replace while the car is down for Mx.

signal-2021-05-10-223428.thumb.jpg.d5fe2bbdba3ea105cced0c4f2ad1efb0.jpg

:yeahthat:

yer friends aren't true friends, they should be encouraging you. They should hold your beer while you do a full send. split the block.

:hide:

I'm debating trying to see if I can swap the SRS over as well or if it's enough to just get the occupant system working so I can have the dash airbags.

I'm looking at using worm clamps to simulate someone in the seat at all times.

I have an idea involving an op-amp inverter circuit to make the single pressure sensor from modern subarus work with the '05 occupant detection module. Like most of my projects I will get to it when I have the spare time. Which is TBD :spin:

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

I have an idea involving an op-amp inverter circuit to make the single pressure sensor from modern subarus work with the '05 occupant detection module. Like most of my projects I will get to it when I have the spare time. Which is TBD :spin:

Since it involves safety, I'd be happy to make the SRS system think the seat is occupied at all times as a minimum. False positive in this particular case is better than false negative, imho.

I would love to get it to work with a 08-11 occupant detection module so I can ditch the 10lbs+ and use the side airbag in the seats. But I don't have the time at the moment. Not to mention it seems to be silly hard to figure out how the airbag stuff works because they really don't want you messing with it.

I got the passenger STi seat wrapped up and installed. I followed in previous footsteps to use a 70mm (2 3/4") hose clamp to put enough stress on each strain sensor to think someone is sitting in the seat so the dash airbag works. The 3.3 ohm resistor for the car side of the connection to the SRS air bag.

IMG_8445.thumb.jpg.d9360d3ed0da2a3a2c78821772a60188.jpg

After a bit of Tetris, I managed to get all of the '05 detection lead weights strapped to the underside and nicely cleaned up.

IMG_8447.thumb.jpg.804be051a98e0005da794c6992696755.jpg

IMG_8448.thumb.jpg.ffdd49adb7254c9f7bcbaa8e60d891d4.jpg

Airbag light is out, only side effect at the moment is that I have to keep the seat belt on the passenger side buckled with or without someone in the seat because it thinks someone is there.

Also got a bonus, I didn't know these were heated STi seats when I bought them; only figured that out tracing plugs to sources, seat heaters plugged in and work. :lol:

Since it involves safety, I'd be happy to make the SRS system think the seat is occupied at all times as a minimum. False positive in this particular case is better than false negative, imho.

In the similar vein, I would like my SRS in each seat to work.

Current options I think

a) Replace the '11 STi SRS with the '05 LGT SRS (assuming they fit physically, they would work)

b) Depin / solder the '05 connectors to the '11 SRS (just not sure which wires and whether or not the '11 SRS is compatible with the '05 system.

c) Use the '11 occupant sensor w/ '11 SRS (just need to see if it can be done with the '05 system.