LegacyGT.com

2006 OBXT - VF52 upgrade?

Hey everybody.

I am getting close to getting my car sorted out in stock form but I am amassing a pile of 'go fast' parts, with the intention of getting pro-tuned at a reputable shop in Nashville, TN.

So far, I've gotten (or plan to get):

Have the Cobb GESi downpipe (pricey, dang)

Cobb pitch stop

V3 Access port

3 port boost controller

(plan to get) a Nameless cat back

kartboy short throw shifter and bushings

**Not sure I need an up pipe, because I believe the 2006 is already catless

Now, for the turbo part. Based on a really great thread i read here on this site, the VF52 seems like the best option for a stock short block.

IAG states that this turbo needs an upgraded fuel system with 650cc injectors.

Would it be a good time for a Radium plumbing kit:

http://www.radiumauto.com/Subaru-EJ-Fuel-Rail-Plumbing-kit-P1767.aspx

And would I also need a top feed conversion for a larger set of options for injectors:

http://www.radiumauto.com/Fuel-Rails-Top-Feed-Conversion-Subaru-EJ-P1177.aspx

Can anyone recommend a good set of injectors for this turbo?

And is any of this necessary? I want the most bang for my buck for this car. I plan on keeping it for many years to come.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Mr. Electric Wizard

2006 has a cat in the up pipe.

07-09's don't

My car has been fine on stock fueling, the vf52 has over 154,000 miles on it. Dynoed at 21psi back in Aug 2011.

IMO all that money is not worth the extra 30 or so HP.

Put that money towards the GS tmic and a better clutch.

DSCN7058.thumb.JPG.0465e86cce637af2704c588325012de7.JPG

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yes, vf52 is what you want.

Call Mike at http://www.AZPinstalls.com and see what he can give you for a price, Tell Mike I sent you.

Or email my Tuner at tuningalliance@gmail.com he's named Mike too, He's the one you'll want to have tune your car, tell him your plans, may be he can get everything you need in a package deal. Also tell him I sent you.

He really is that one of the two best Tuners for these cars.

BTW, these cars came with a vf40. You will need to trim the opening in the trubo heat shield for the vf52, its easy with tin snips.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Call Mike at http://www.AZPinstalls.com and see what he can give you for a price, Tell Mike I sent you.

Or email my Tuner at tuningalliance@gmail.com he's named Mike too, He's the one you'll want to have tune your car, tell him your plans, may be he can get everything you need in a package deal. Also tell him I sent you.

BTW, these cars came with a vf40. You will need to trim the opening in the trubo heat shield for the vf52, its easy with tin snips.

Max Capacity,

You say you're running stock pump and injectors with vf52 @ 21psi? That's awesome, I didn't realize it was possible to increase pressure so much with stock injectors. I was considering vf52 but decided not to because I was worried about costs getting carried away with fuel pump and injectors, and all the things I would break and have to replace along the way. I've also had my eyes on that GS intercooler.

Have you ever tried and been happy with an E-tune from either of the two tuners you mentioned above? I am interested in if e-tunes are generally almost-as-good as a dyno tunes. Next summer or so once I get things really buttoned up the way I want them to be I think I'll probably get an actual dyno tune but I have been considering an e-tune to get me by. There are no tuners right that I've been able to find right around me.

Thanks

My wrenching time is nill these days, but there's a reputable tuner in Nashville and the mechanic at the shop is pretty great too. If things don't work out with them then I'll check out Mike at TA. Thanks for the recommendation.

JmP6889928 is a trusted member on here. He even hasa sticky up top in this Forum.

Jon will take care of you, he is our "go to guy" for turbos.

You guys know anything about JMP turbos?

JMP is simply the best you can get.

I have his modified VF-52, it's awesome; 45k miles and zero shaft play.

I started with stock injectors and an upgraded fuel pump, but went to 740s (still side feed) for a little head room. If I could go back again, I would convert to top feed w/ tgv deletes in one shot, just for the range of injectors in top feed. But I'm really happy with where I'm at and am unlikely at this point to seek more HP, just playing with suspension, interior, and the like.

Omg do not pay $1400 for a stock VF52 from IAG that’s way too much money :) I’d get ahold of JMP and have him build you one. They are better than stock and less money. Currently running his 11 blade VF52 in my daily and his custom 16G in my track car. Extremely happy with both. You can run your stock fueling (why all the Radium stuff?) just fine with these power levels. An aftermarket pump and 740 sidefeeds (ran this in my track car for many years), will allow your tuner to maximize power with this turbo but it can certainly run stock fueling fine they will just have to taper off boost a bit earlier to keep it safe. This is what I’m doing in my daily driver, (VF52, stock fueling). Have the cash and foresee a further upgrade path down the line? Swap in a fuel pump, top feed fuel rails, (OEM or IAG), 1050cc topfeeds, and your good to go when the VF52 starts to feel too slow for you and you want to swap out for more power. Edited by shralp

JMP is simply the best you can get.

I have his modified VF-52, it's awesome; 45k miles and zero shaft play.

I started with stock injectors and an upgraded fuel pump, but went to 740s (still side feed) for a little head room. If I could go back again, I would convert to top feed w/ tgv deletes in one shot, just for the range of injectors in top feed. But I'm really happy with where I'm at and am unlikely at this point to seek more HP, just playing with suspension, interior, and the like.

Which fuel pump did you go with? And TGV deletes are going to probably go away with this new clean engine push that's going on now. I know catless DP's have pretty much gone away in the last couple of months.

Omg do not pay $1400 for a stock VF52 from IAG that’s way too much money :) I’d get ahold of JMP and have him build you one. They are better than stock and less money. Currently running his 11 blade VF52 in my daily and his custom 16G in my track car. Extremely happy with both. You can run your stock fueling (why all the Radium stuff?) just fine with these power levels. An aftermarket pump and 740 sidefeeds (ran this in my track car for many years), will allow your tuner to maximize power with this turbo but it can certainly run stock fueling fine they will just have to taper off boost a bit earlier to keep it safe. This is what I’m doing in my daily driver, (VF52, stock fueling). Have the cash and foresee a further upgrade path down the line? Swap in a fuel pump, top feed fuel rails, (OEM or IAG), 1050cc topfeeds, and your good to go when the VF52 starts to feel too slow for you and you want to swap out for more power.

Exactly the type of reply I am looking for! Thanks so much!

I agree the IAG turbo is like whaaaaat??? how much???

What aftermarket pump and injectors can you recommend?

**edit***

The Radium stuff because I have no idea what I'm doing :D

I’m running a DW65c but there are other options these days that may be better. Others may chime in. Ran DW740 sidefeeds for a few years before moving to top feed fuel rails (OEM) and Cobb 1050’s when I swapped in the JMP 16G

I just got my Accessport in the mail.

Just installed the Stage 1 tune with High Waste Gate.

Is this okay? The engine is bone stock. Should I change it to normal or low instead?

Also, I put the boost gauge up on the AP and it's showing psi, but it's in decimal and a number between 1 and 20 or so.

What would .19 on the boost gauge indicate?

Edited by Mr. Electric Wizard