LegacyGT.com

Transmission Problem? Axel Shot?

Hey I am new to the whole car scene and my first ¨project¨ car was a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT 5MT. I havent had many problems yet I have done a few things like wheels, a catless invidia down pipe and an acessport. It was really fun that is until a buddy of mine was driving my car and we think it may of been the tranny that went but I think that it could of been the axel that mounts into the tranny (sorry still trying to learn terms) because when I put the car in any gear it still drove but very slow just with a metallic grinding sound when we pushed it so a spot later so it could get towed even rolling it still made the noise just not as loud. I recall the guy I bought it off of saying it may need a new axel. Just wanted to put this out there to hear what you guys had to say. Thanks! :)

Welcome to the forum, http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/ there's the service manual for you.

You'll want to find a shop that knows these cars, I would guess in your state, that should be easy to do.

How many miles on the car ?

What has been done to it, has the timing belt kit been changed ?

Everything you'll need to know is on here somewhere.

You can side under the car and grab the CV axle with your hand and see if it has movement. It shouldn't.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just to verify, the grinding sound happens both when going straight and when turning? All 4 tires around the same tread depth? When my center differential went, it sounded like a playing card in bicycle spokes when I was turning into parking spots and stuff at lower speeds. You mention a grinding sound which I didn't really have, but still wanted to throw this out there anyway.

Also probably not a rock/pebble stuck between the rotor and dust shield if it's been going on for awhile, but you never know.. (Edit: Forgot you said it's going slower too, so forget this idea. That probably rules out the center diff too.)

Edited by apexi

Welcome to the forum, http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/ there's the service manual for you.

You'll want to find a shop that knows these cars, I would guess in your state, that should be easy to do.

How many miles on the car ?

What has been done to it, has the timing belt kit been changed ?

Everything you'll need to know is on here somewhere.

You can side under the car and grab the CV axle with your hand and see if it has movement. It shouldn't.

Just to respond to it timing belt and head gaskets are already done and it has 109,000 miles other than that a stage 1 tune and a downpipe