LegacyGT.com

Bi-LED Projector Hi/Low Trouble

I built a pair of headlights with Morimoto M LED 2.0 projectors for my 08 Legacy, and I'm having an issue of that they are on high beams only. If I disconnect the high beam connection going into the driver, it'll switch to low. I've already tried disabling the DRLs, but that doesn't change it because normally the high beams will still come on low power with the low beams, which is where I think they are getting a signal from.

Does anybody know where the low power for the high beams comes from, and/or has a wiring diagram that shows it?

Well the lower voltage on the high beam wire is the drl. So you haven't disabled the drl.

On my retrofit I took a different approach and didn't disable the drl. But just disabling them would be simpler.

Well the lower voltage on the high beam wire is the drl. So you haven't disabled the drl.

On my retrofit I took a different approach and didn't disable the drl. But just disabling them would be simpler.

I disconnected the red wire and then tried pulling the white plug to the DRL unit, same results.

I also disabled my DRL by unplugging the white connector at the module. My switchback running/turn receive power and signal from OEM park/turn. Quad projectors wired together so low beam only or high beam/low beam together with high beam onc5ff152a0c398ca9063af8816791b53e.jpg9598a2a7dc56e7883e51b0bcafaefdb0.jpg

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

I also disabled my DRL by unplugging the white connector at the module. My switchback running/turn receive power and signal from OEM park/turn. Quad projectors wired together so low beam only or high beam/low beam together with high beam onc5ff152a0c398ca9063af8816791b53e.jpg9598a2a7dc56e7883e51b0bcafaefdb0.jpg

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

05-07 use the low beam for drl. 08-09 use the high beam for drl. So it's not the same in that senses. Which might be why the OPs isn't working. I haven't disabled mine so no advice there.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I used a relay harness from Morimoto that triggers off the high beam connector, and powers the bi-led driver from battery, and it works... sort of... High/low beams are working properly, high has both factory and projector high on.

DRL is the weird part, now it's triggering the low beam on the bi-led projector, and the factory high beams are off for DRL, even though they are still hooked up. I'm thinking of just tapping into the high beam switch on the steering column.

Can't get you a direct link right now but, take a look at my build thread. There's a link to hidplanet. I think I explained on there what I did as for wiring. There's a relatively simple solution with a relay.

Put simply, you'll use a relay to only allow power to the high beam of the led projector when the low beam is on. So when the headlights are off no power (the low voltage DRL power go in to the high beam) can flow to the projector. When the headlights are on (low beam have power) allow power to flow to the high beam of the projector. Since when he headlights are on the drl low voltage is off you won't have any issues.

This is how I wired mine. Works great.

Though if you just want to go the disabling drl route. Sounds like you are still getting low voltage power at the headlights, which is drl. Maybe confirm you have no voltage at all on the headlight plug with headlights off.

Edited by nevets27

Can't get you a direct link right now but, take a look at my build thread. There's a link to hidplanet. I think I explained on there what I did as for wiring. There's a relatively simple solution with a relay.

Put simply, you'll use a relay to only allow power to the high beam of the led projector when the low beam is on. So when the headlights are off no power (the low voltage DRL power go in to the high beam) can flow to the projector. When the headlights are on (low beam have power) allow power to flow to the high beam of the projector. Since when he headlights are on the drl low voltage is off you won't have any issues.

This is how I wired mine. Works great.

Though if you just want to go the disabling drl route. Sounds like you are still getting low voltage power at the headlights, which is drl. Maybe confirm you have no voltage at all on the headlight plug with headlights off.

Alright, had to reread several times (******* dyslexia). So you have a relay in between the high beam signal, that is normally open until the low beam switch is active? It sounds like it might help, but my concern is that there is still the DRL power is coming in through the high side when the lows are on. Previously when I hooked everything up (without the current relay setup) the projector highs would be on while the switch was on low beam. With the current relay setup, the LED is on but not triggering solenoid (I'm not hearing chattering). I just noticed last night that one of the projectors is out. So now I'm worried that the DRL signal could be frying the LED driver via relay switching on/off fast, and powering enough to turn on the LED but not the solenoid, while having the low beam switch active. I think that's just my paranoid brain though.

I have to do some tests this weekend, I'll have to try this and/or a few other ideas. Maybe the zener diode mentioned in the hidplanet thread, or the other idea of triggering off another source. I'll post what I find for science and future reference to others.

As for you confirmation question, yes you have that correct.

Zener diode I don't think will work. It was an idea that came up but in practice I couldn't see it working. But who knows.

Not quite sure what you have going on electrically. All seems a bit odd to me.

It should simply be:

lights off = drl on = low voltage to high beam.

Lights on = drl off = no voltage to high beam. And obviously voltage to the low beams.

High beams on = voltage to low beam and high beam.

As for you confirmation question, yes you have that correct.

Zener diode I don't think will work. It was an idea that came up but in practice I couldn't see it working. But who knows.

Not quite sure what you have going on electrically. All seems a bit odd to me.

It should simply be:

lights off = drl on = low voltage to high beam.

Lights on = drl off = no voltage to high beam. And obviously voltage to the low beams.

High beams on = voltage to low beam and high beam.

So I'm an idiot. I hooked up my original headlights out of curiosity, and low beams come on along with the high beam DRL....... *head desk and repeat*

I really don't get to see the DRLs normally, because it requires car running and e-brake off, and my parking space on an incline, it didn't click that it might be the case. You can imagine the giant sigh I let out, having the old headlight facing me while sitting in my car...