LegacyGT.com

New car, unknown tune but super lean when I use a stage 2 tune help

I bought a 2005 legacy gt. I knew going into it that it had a grimspeed cai, an up pipe and a down pipe, and I thought that’s all it had. Being that it’s an auction car, I had no idea if someone had an ap on it and took it off before auction. I put a v3 ap on it and tried the stage 1 and stage 2 tune. Both tunes ran like crap and we’re wicked lean, Like 20+.... I unmarried the ap for what it was before. Which FYI pulls really hard.

Do those mods usually make it run stupid lean on a stage 2 Ots tune? Is there anyway to figure out what tune it has on it? I’ll be going through the car today to check for other mods ie injectors, boost controller, fuel pump etc. anything I should specifically be on the look for?

The issue with it being lean most likely due to the cold air intake. It might also be VF52 swapped so if you can check for that too those two would be the culprit. Either way I would invest in a pro tune as soon as possible and stay out of boost especially. The OTS tunes are only safe with the stock air box and turbo. They actually are slightly rich to be safer I believe.

Also 20+ on the AFR with throttle or off? Around that range is safe for no throttle just cruising. WOT should be as close to the lowest the stock sensor will read which is 11

It ran poor because the ots tune is not created to be used with an aftermarket cai; it is to ne used only with the oem air intake.

You should get it tuned as soon as possible or at least have a tuner see the current rom and whether it has been tuned for the current mods on the car. I wouldn't trust that the previous owner did this, especially if the car was bought at an auction.

I wouldn't do any more aggressive driving without contacting a tuner. Without doing so you may ve creating a more common thread these days like "help, no boost or power with strange noises" and need to put another 5-8k in it for another motor and turbo.

As these cars increase with age and mileage while becoming cheaper, we've seen more and more of these threads.

Can you get a stock airbox pretty readily? If so give that a try.

You can't datalog the *existing* ROM with the AP without marrying it and in turn having to choose a map. And as you say it pulls hard without the AP, so it's possible it was tuned through Open Source. So really you have no idea if it's running crazy lean with the original ROM or not....so I'd get the equipment to log that ROM, or just throw in a OEM airbox and see how the OTS Stages do.

There are two recommended tuners for these cars. your going to want to send one of them a data log.

http://www.tuningalliance.com

or Dave here at Cryo

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cryotune-performance-november-promo-discount-10-15-off-calibrations-e-266385.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 years later...
Well, that's a subject I've been looking for. Some people buy cars without knowing what they actually need to know about cars. And usually, it's just basic information, but it can make a great change. I faced some problems when I bought my first car... I didn't know much about it, I just paid someone to check if everything was in good condition, and got a Golf 6 with 8k, but after half a year, the car's engine broke down and I had to pay 2,5k for a new one. And month by month, a lot of other problems appeared and I got to the conclusion that I should've been more informed before buying it. So make sure to be informed, learn about how to compare prices, or car costs per mile, or anything like this. It will be very helpful. Edited by bismarc123