LegacyGT.com

First Mods?

Hello all! I have just bought a 05 LGT completely stock with a factory 5 speed short throw. I know next to nothing about cars but would really like to learn and get into the scene. Any suggestions on the first modifications I should try? My friends tell me to install a Catless Uppipe, but I don't know if I trust those honda guys:lol:. Where do I buy quality parts and what should I get started with. Suggestions?

What are you goals? How many miles?

I would suggest:

- remove the banjo filter

- FULL fluid change

- Review all rubber bits and replace

- Catless uppipe (a safety measure no performance)

Welcome to the Forum, be careful about saying things about us Honda guy's, see my avatar.

Cobb AP stage 1 tune is your first goal...after you make sure the engine runs well and doesn't use to much oil.

May be send a oil sample off to Blackstone Labs.

How many miles on it ?

Have the tranny and diff fluids been change every 30,000 miles ? Motul Gear 300 is the best stuff for the 5mt and rear diff.

Warning, most new guys come on here with a story..."gee, I just bought this car and driving it home the turbo blew". There was a time when that was once a week.

Read the sticky's at the tops of the Forums, you'll find info there.

Do not buy a CAI for the car. The stock one is good until 350whp.

Look through the DIY Forums, you'll need them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Welcome!

To amplify Max Capacity's advice - and he is VERY experienced - regarding the Cobb AP stage 1, and considering that you said you are not very knowledgeable:

Cobb is a company that sells performance parts and modifies software in the engine computer for higher performance. The AP is Cobb's AccessPort device, which connects to the data port in your car. It can write new software to your computer, which you should be very careful about doing, but it can also read information from your computer about how your car is performing, which is very basic to many of the other questions you may have and which people offering advice may ask you, as in "Do you have any codes?"

The Cobb AP V3 stage 1 tune will install a better MAP/tune into the ECU. It's how the car should have come from the factory.

My wagon was one of the first on Cobb AP for these cars, Dec 8 2004.

Tell us the details about your car,

mileage

last tune up

fluid changes

5mt or 5eat

Oh yeah, zip tie the vacuum hoses.

Before you buy anything ask us.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

The first thing to do is a compression leak down test and a smoke test. That way you will know if the engine is healthy prior to adding mods. I have seen guys on this board add a lot of great mods and have the engine go boom. So just be prepared by making sure its solid first.

Do reliability mods as well. Not as fun but they make the fun last longer.

Also, a tune once the engine is cleared for mods. Then don't mod it much. Its an amazing car for what it is. If given the chance again I would mod less. Its very easy to get caught up in the modding bug.

These cars break enough if left stock. Fix all the broken shit first. In your car’s age that means the sway bar endlinks, the control arm and trailing arm bushings (really, all of the bushings are shot based on age, so replacing them would be good), the uppipe catalyst often fails - so do put a catless one on there from an 07 Legacy GT/STi, the rubber fails from age absolutely everywhere so a boost leak test should also be done.

Beyond that, what are your plans for power on the car? Beyond about 300 WHP on our cars you’ll probably start to see a decent bit of a decline in the reliability of your car. I’m partial to replacing all the suspension bushings with Whiteline ones and working from there.

Hello all! Thank you for the warm welcome, Sorry for the lack of info. The car has 120k miles and I have not changed all fluids yet. I do not think it has been tuned since factory. There's a check engine light. I ran an OBD scanner from autozone and got P2021 and P2005. I did a little bit of googling and I havent been able to find much. My goals with this car is to just have a comfortable daily with a little bit of kick. Sorry for the late response, couldn't figure out how to navigate to my own thread :lol:

Welcome to the Forum, be careful about saying things about us Honda guy's, see my avatar.

Cobb AP stage 1 tune is your first goal...after you make sure the engine runs well and doesn't use to much oil.

May be send a oil sample off to Blackstone Labs.

How many miles on it ?

Have the tranny and diff fluids been change every 30,000 miles ? Motul Gear 300 is the best stuff for the 5mt and rear diff.

Warning, most new guys come on here with a story..."gee, I just bought this car and driving it home the turbo blew". There was a time when that was once a week.

Read the sticky's at the tops of the Forums, you'll find info there.

Do not buy a CAI for the car. The stock one is good until 350whp.

Look through the DIY Forums, you'll need them.

Is changing the fluids on the diffs and tranny difficult? I've only ever done oil changes on my own, I am very interested in learning more about the scene though. I have been reading around and heard that the CAT on the uppipe can destroy the turbo.

The first thing to do is a compression leak down test and a smoke test. That way you will know if the engine is healthy prior to adding mods. I have seen guys on this board add a lot of great mods and have the engine go boom. So just be prepared by making sure its solid first.

I have no idea what this means but Ill google around and see if I can do this.

The Cobb AP V3 stage 1 tune will install a better MAP/tune into the ECU. It's how the car should have come from the factory.

My wagon was one of the first on Cobb AP for these cars, Dec 8 2004.

Tell us the details about your car,

mileage

last tune up

fluid changes

5mt or 5eat

Oh yeah, zip tie the vacuum hoses.

Before you buy anything ask us.

5MT sorry for not clarifying.

For your codes.. I wonder if the sensor on one of your Tumble Generator Valves (TGV) was removed, and improperly reinstalled, or if a new one was improperly installed. I don't know much about them since my car doesn't have them, I've attached a pic, one of the turbo guys might be able to help more.

"Originally Posted by gtal98 View Post

For future reference to anyone who might find this post in a search, on the drivers side you have to start with the TGV sensor 90° CCW from where it needs to be. Push it on with the electrical connector facing up, then rotate it CW so that the connector faces the drivers side of the car, and then install the bolts. I also had to temporarily remove a neighboring bolt that was holding a fuel line clip in place in order to rotate the sensor."

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/p2021-code-and-lesson-learned-257328.html

Some more tgv pics

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/new-tgv-design-2007-legacy-gti-2008i-63100.html

unnamed.jpg.8590206985c24f4a59a31512aff8c95d.jpg

Edited by apexi

All you will need when the time comes is the AP V3 none of the other stuff. The car comes with a great cold air intake. don't not remove it.

When its time we'll tell give you the two Tuners you want to have tune your car.

The DIY forum may have a thread on changing the tranny fluids. You can ask google "how to change..." you'll get lots of info.

With proper tools, floor jack and stands and a suction gun, there are easy to change.

Top of this forum will have the CEL codes.

https://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/warranty-issues-problems-48.html

The service manual will too,

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

My Tuner deleted that CEL code in my wagon years ago, I had a cracked connector on the TGV in front of the turbo. It's still cracked, the car runs great, that was back in 2015.

Tuners might not be as willing to delete TGV CELs in this brave new world. I'm working on a top-feed conversion for my '05 OBXT that includes porting over the TGVs from a later-model car, and I have a plan, but no results to report yet. The machine shop SAID they'd be done with my engine at the end of this week, and then I can start putting things together.

All you will need when the time comes is the AP V3 none of the other stuff. The car comes with a great cold air intake. don't not remove it.

When its time we'll tell give you the two Tuners you want to have tune your car.

The DIY forum may have a thread on changing the tranny fluids. You can ask google "how to change..." you'll get lots of info.

With proper tools, floor jack and stands and a suction gun, there are easy to change.

Will do, would the best way to get the access port be just going through cobb directly or should I get one from another site/dropshippers