LegacyGT.com

LGT Owners, what car will you drive next?

I do keep my cars for many years 10ish at a time so reliability is a factor. Pretty sure the Tesla wins in that dept. I don’t know, tough call.

you have seen tesla trying to claim the touch screens are a wear item with an expected 5 year life, right? i also don't hold much hope for long term software reliability given how crappy phones get after a couple updates and installs. i'm not exactly techphobic, but i am by no means an early adopter, and given tesla's build quality foibles since day 1 that haven't gotten any better, and this random crap like screen wear items...eh, i'm going to wait on an electric car until the main stream manufacturers can get their heads in the game...

I have researched the glitches that Tesla has. Haven’t heard about the touch screens but the build quality, paint, body panels can be problematic. Elon even mentions that they rush at the end of each quarter to meet demands so really, don’t buy one at the end of the quarter lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you have seen tesla trying to claim the touch screens are a wear item with an expected 5 year life, right? i also don't hold much hope for long term software reliability given how crappy phones get after a couple updates and installs. i'm not exactly techphobic, but i am by no means an early adopter, and given tesla's build quality foibles since day 1 that haven't gotten any better, and this random crap like screen wear items...eh, i'm going to wait on an electric car until the main stream manufacturers can get their heads in the game...

Tesla also sucks when it comes to repairs. There was a guy who lost a lug nut while driving, and had to wait like 3 months for just ONE replacement lug nut to get to him. If you guys know TFL on Youtube, they had a Tesla that needed a new taillight and a couple other things. That repair was a mess. Tesla also has issues with body gaps and uneven allignments on fenders and other panels.

I have researched the glitches that Tesla has. Haven’t heard about the touch screens but the build quality, paint, body panels can be problematic. Elon even mentions that they rush at the end of each quarter to meet demands so really, don’t buy one at the end of the quarter lol!

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2020/06/24/us-agency-probes-touch-screen-failures-tesla-model/112004054/

for your reading pleasure.....

yeah, that's not the kind of car i want to buy...it just seems like typical tech to me--throw away and upgrade after a certain point. not that ICE cars aren't like that to most people, but it seems extra so for tesla. just my 2 cents and I can't fault anyone for wanting a tesla, they're pretty incredible for what they are and super fun to drive, they're just not on my wishlist to own.

Tesla also sucks when it comes to repairs. There was a guy who lost a lug nut while driving, and had to wait like 3 months for just ONE replacement lug nut to get to him. If you guys know TFL on Youtube, they had a Tesla that needed a new taillight and a couple other things. That repair was a mess. Tesla also has issues with body gaps and uneven allignments on fenders and other panels.

yep. and there's not even a great aftermarket/salvage market for them at this point, from what I understand. parts and spares are hard to get, dealerships, or lack there of, are difficult to work with for one off items...just a whole load of cons outweighing the pros in my books.

I don't have any 1st have experience with RS3, but VW/Audi aren't exactly the most reliable vehicle either and they are difficult to work on.

I don't have any 1st have experience with RS3, but VW/Audi aren't exactly the most reliable vehicle either and they are difficult to work on.

At least you can have your car worked on and get it back within a week. Tesla just has too many issues when it comes to repairs and getting parts. Hell, if they told me my touchscreen that controls everything only should last 5 years then I'd steer clear.

The above reasons are why I'm steering clear of Tesla and EVs. great stock though ;) I may have to put my dreams on hold for another round on the cars.. wife absolutely hates the Highlander and I feel guilty for putting her in it and getting rid of the FXT (yes, I know the Highlander isn't much bigger and is safe and reliable lol). Impulse/panic decision a year ago.

I'd love to put her in a subcompact luxury suv. I really like Volvo XC60s and BMW X3 m40is. The XC60 T8 is their hybrid model and would be nice for work travel. I've been seeing some good things about the latest Acura RDX but don't know anyone that owns one or have even seen one out and about. She would be happy back in an FXT though.. so might just go back that route in a year lol those seat bolsters though :(. The idea of the Outback XT is nice, but neither of us can get past the plastic cladding and hideous wheels.

Speaking of Audis.. the RS6 Avant is to die for. Wish I had 6 figures laying around lmao

NHTSA finally convinced Tesla to own the the failing screen problem because back up cameras and a working front defroster are safety requirements. Recall coming soon. I’ll be curious to hear the expected life span of the replacements.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35395201/tesla-model-x-model-s-recalled-screens/

I've been seeing some good things about the latest Acura RDX but don't know anyone that owns one or have even seen one out and about.

I have a 2013 RDX and it's just perfect. Obviously the newer model is probably better but I love every. single. thing. about my car.

Well gents, here's my new but old "what's next" car.

Brought it home this morning.

Pretty much all stock. Needs some interior cleanup and a good detail. 1991, 105k, 5spd, black interior. Checked all the boxes for what I wanted and won't be depreciating in value. c738eb89d6b2d6f1e0f5ebaa4919fd94.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

The funny part about many of the above posts regarding Tesla is almost every new car has a touchscreen. So...expect it to last 5 years and be thankful if it lasts longer. Elon Musk was just being realistic, every part on a car has an engineered lifespan because lifetime parts don't exist. And again look at percentages when it comes to failures not anecdotal inferences. If you are relatively easy on vehicles the electronics will last a very long time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Pretty much all stock. Needs some interior cleanup and a good detail. 1991, 105k, 5spd, black interior. Checked all the boxes for what I wanted and won't be depreciating in value.

congrats S2! I had a 1986 5.0GT back in the day, didn't look as cool but still had fun in it

The funny part about many of the above posts regarding Tesla is almost every new car has a touchscreen. So...expect it to last 5 years and be thankful if it lasts longer. Elon Musk was just being realistic, every part on a car has an engineered lifespan because lifetime parts don't exist. And again look at percentages when it comes to failures not anecdotal inferences. If you are relatively easy on vehicles the electronics will last a very long time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes!!! I’m praying the 7k tax rebate gets passed with the green act going into effect... then Tesla is a no brainer option. Tesla still has the best battery with limited deterioration over time as well.

congrats S2! I had a 1986 5.0GT back in the day, didn't look as cool but still had fun in it
Personal opinion here but back in their day the four eyed foxes were great looking cars. Better than the 87-93 which I happen to like a lot. I would snatch up a nice four eye if presented with an opportunity.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Personal opinion here but back in their day the four eyed foxes were great looking cars. Better than the 87-93 which I happen to like a lot. I would snatch up a nice four eye if presented with an opportunity.

The problem I have been running into is VERY poor communication from sellers. There was a black 86 I wanted near Sante Fe and then also a nice car our towards Sacramento. Both the sellers have me different stories suddenly when I talked on the phone. I couldn't risk spending over 500$-1000$ extra dollars to just "see" a car. All in all this by far blew me away for it's price and the fast it was local. Hard to find in idaho. The EFI verse Carb made me go for the newer aero style. Plus red will give me higher resell value down the road.

I liked the 85/86 5.0 better. One of my good friend had a 86GT that he got right after high school we had a lot of good times in that. He sold it to buy an 89 LX 5.0 which he regretted. I came real close to buying a black 85 GT that was in mint condition (8 years old 24k miles) but the seller changed his mind after agreeing to a price and he kept the car. (I don’t low ball him either, I offered full asking price a week later.)

I hear you on the EFI, especially mass air over speed density. It's all subjective but some say the '86 were among the fastest of the Fox EFI cars being the first year. They were a brute of a car for it's time. You did your homework and will have lots of smiles in the GT. Good luck with it and watch that ass end.....they come around in a hurry but that's what we all love about a mustang!!!

I hear you on the EFI, especially mass air over speed density. It's all subjective but some say the '86 were among the fastest of the Fox EFI cars being the first year. They were a brute of a car for it's time. You did your homework and will have lots of smiles in the GT. Good luck with it and watch that ass end.....they come around in a hurry but that's what we all love about a mustang!!!

1986 is the slowest of the EFI, it had a unique head design E6SE with high swirl ports, good for torque not good for top end HP. I can tell from street racing back in the day that compare to other year 5.0's that my friend 86 lacked top end compare other year cars with similar engine mods. My friend bought a 89 5.0LX right after his 86 GT and it ran about 3mph traps speeds at the track with the same mods (different mufflers).

87 seems to be the fastest, but that is sometime hard to judge by driver and which options cars had. The fastest stock or near stock 5.0 I saw as were 87's but they also were very low option cars with crank windows.

Edited by dgoodhue

The original engine went to shit on this one anyways. Person ran a turbo on it before and NOS. Went kaboom. It has a mark7 engine in it now. Feels really healthy and sounds great with just a muffler delete.

Not really in the mood for speed anymore. Even as it was I could break it loose in 2nd fairly easily in a roundabout.

I know it'll be a head turner and conversation starter at the gas station. Just planning on enjoying it and clean up some odds and ends. Pricing on them are going up and up so I got it knowing I won't lose my ass down the road.

Also had rx7, s2000, and terminator. All those were going to be 15, 20, 25+g depending on mods and condition. Getting this to just go buy cash and still have money in the back from my old car is perfect scenario for me.

• 3 weeks later...

wandered into a mercedes dealership today. never been a fan except for 2.3l evo from way back when. Still mostly meh.

then I heard this fire up. moth to a flame. 700hp. 600 miles. I didn't want to be a creeper, but it was hard to walk away.

69c0c1e517ab1a92ff9dedb2b0072863.jpg

(not actual car, because red was more ferrari and the top was more beige)

Pretty much all stock. Needs some interior cleanup and a good detail. 1991, 105k, 5spd, black interior. Checked all the boxes for what I wanted and won't be depreciating in value.

Nice. First car was an 85 LX 5.0. My dad bought it for me (which he regretted) while I was in high school. I was an idiot and damn near killed myself doing a Dukes of Hazard twist-and-flip into a creek with it. Would love to have that (potential) power to weight ratio again.