LegacyGT.com

LGT Owners, what car will you drive next?

Im seeing a therapist on Monday who has helped me recover from previous injuries. Actually the injury thats acting up now.

Replacing my wagon has been difficult. I'll never race again, but I still like flogging a vehicle down a twisty road. My wagon, when it runs, scratches every itch. I was looking seriously at a brz but getting two huskies ended the "I want a coupe" dream. For how little I drive now, getting a beater honda (horror!) for regular use, and using rental vehicles when I want something more would be less expensive. I've been renting pickups for several years now as I spend less than a single monthly payment per year. Even with covid decimating the rental car industry, you can still rent premium vehicles for less than a single month's payment.

Too many cars, not enough cash.

The trailblazer just seemed too mundane looking. Finding a gently used example still meant dealing with a 15-20yo gm vehicle. A 15-20yo subaru is cheaper.

I delivered a brand new 2020 fully loaded chevy 2500 pickup to a customer 600 miles away. It was a great ride. But owning one? I'm not going to be needing 16,000lb towing capacity on a regular basis anymore as I sold them my race trailer. Uhaul, ryder, enterprise all rent trucks with tow hitches.

The search continues...

becasue LS? strap a supercharger on there and have a 500hp beast of a daily? same reason people buy typhoons, because they're relatively uncommon and kinda cool

I own a Syclone and I used have a Typhoon as daily driver in the early 2000's. I could never get into the TBSS. I test drove a regular TB in 2002 as potential vehicle for my ex and I didn't care for it. I test drove the TBSS in 2007 and it reminded me of the 2002 TB with nicer seats and more power, I wasn't impressed. For 400Hp, the AWD version didn't seem that fast either. I thought the 1st Gen SRT8 Jeep were a better package, but the Jeeps also were good $10K more new and TBSS could be bought for more of discount.

IIRC the TBSS also have an issue with the oil pickup cracking on them.

eh, the srt8s are like...2-3x the price of a trailblazer, they didn't sell as many so pricing's going to remain on the higher side. not saying the ss isn't without its faults, it most certainly is, but if you like trucks with big engines, could be a decent way to go. you wouldn't even find me dead in one though haha

becasue LS? strap a supercharger on there and have a 500hp beast of a daily? same reason people buy typhoons, because they're relatively uncommon and kinda cool

typhoon, syclone, gnx, old-skool supercharged mr2, raptor, viper, prerunner H2, mad max duramax z71. All are fun. All are long in the tooth. All require lots of expensive maintenance to keep the fun quotient high. Unless fun is defined as working on the vehicle. At which point, buying a Jaguar or a Lotus would be better.

These days 500hp is pretty tame. And usually mostly unusable. The number of 500hp mustangs I passed at a track in my miata?

typhoon, syclone, gnx, old-skool supercharged mr2, raptor, viper, prerunner H2, mad max duramax z71. All are fun. All are long in the tooth. All require lots of expensive maintenance to keep the fun quotient high. Unless fun is defined as working on the vehicle. At which point, buying a Jaguar or a Lotus would be better.

At this point Legacy GT aren't less expensive to repair than my Syclone, except for the cosmetics. They aren't that much more reliable either :hide:

These days 500hp is pretty tame. And usually mostly unusable. The number of 500hp mustangs I passed at a track in my miata?

I am pretty sure you can get 500 or close to it in a LS with just a cam, headers, and tune. I am sure a SC or turbo could put down some pretty good number, but it would probably be only good in a straight line

eh, the srt8s are like...2-3x the price of a trailblazer, they didn't sell as many so pricing's going to remain on the higher side. not saying the ss isn't without its faults, it most certainly is, but if you like trucks with big engines, could be a decent way to go. you wouldn't even find me dead in one though haha

I didn't realize the price difference between them as neither have been on my radar for a long time. From a pure economics stand point, the demand for the Jeep is higher than the supply vs the TBSS. Over the years, I have seen this with other vehicles, often there is a good reason for the price difference.

I had a 400hp Jaguar xjr. In a straight line or on the freeway, it was stupid fun. In the twisties, the supercharger always caught up about the apex which led to over braking.

Roasting the tires gets expensive. Replacing brake pads gets old. At a certain point, a well handling car with a bit of pep seems about right. I'm over traffic tickets and maintenance issues. I say that after just buying someone's outback project. :-$

I tried to get into drag racing, but the track is too short. Same as with autox. Open road isn't so much fun these days (well before covid, it wasn't). I loved racing but time moves on.

I get to drive the Jeep srt every few years for a few days. I always look for used ones after I leave, but it never sticks. Its more of a brief doses vehicle than a "sell all the subarus" replacement. Likewise the supercharged h2. The mad max duramax pickup was never even on the considerations list, but it was crazy fun to drive. Like being given the keys to "gravedigger" and unleash it on Los Angeles. Alas, mad max was recently driven off a mountain side and wrapped around a tree. The driver walked away unbroken.

Been looking at mid-80's honda civic sedans. Engine swap, a bit of suspension work, put in a better seat, shave the door handles, add a lockout switch. Put faux rust patches on it. Dent a couple of fenders. Should be the perfect commuter car. Ls1 swap?

I actually looked at this a few weeks back. 17g and 120k on the clock. I think it's about 5grand overpriced.

The other thought is a foxbody that can be found for under 10g. 20210107_102729.thumb.jpg.5abcf6dc83ea958c15938e5edaf81e65.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

20210107_102705.thumb.jpg.aa1a6dcc6cbfc697bf073317bc25d4f9.jpg

20210107_102650.thumb.jpg.78121c968660638bb9f563d0a6739da1.jpg

I actually looked at this a few weeks back. 17g and 120k on the clock. I think it's about 5grand overpriced.

The other thought is a foxbody that can be found for under 10g. [ATTACH]289468[/ATTACH][ATTACH]289469[/ATTACH][ATTACH]289470[/ATTACH]

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Hang on to it for a few years, and you'll see that money back, I'd expect...

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

a well handling car with a bit of pep seems about right. I'm over traffic tickets and maintenance issues.

This is exactly my feeling lately. I like the new BRZ because it seems like it will be a good fit of handling, decent power, fun and reliability for a DD. It will also come out about the time I should be in the right financial place to think about another new car.

yeah empi, old school turbos/vacuum systems, locked down ECUs and OBD1 do not sound like a fun time to me either

I think one of the reasons GM made Syclone and Typhoon on truck platform because the emissions for trucks was less stringent. It has less vacuum lines than my Subaru and most of them are really just what is necessary (boost control, fuel pressure and MAP sensor connections.) It has one vacuum line tree for cruise, EGR and heater controls.

The ECM isn't locked down. GM ECM of that era had a lot of early DIY support in the 90's and the GMC Syclone/Typhoon is the most developed ODBI GM ECM (unless someone has made great strides with the other ECM's in the recent years.) Obviously the ECM and fueling is crude, but they have open source tuning that is lot easier to tune then Romraider for Subaru. The aftermarket chip made for it has more adjustability and is better/cheaper than a Cobb AP. (it has fueling, timing, and boost control adjustments) It is not plug and play, but it is also isn't that complex either. The simplicity of the electronics also makes it easy to install aftermarket ECMs and you don't have to worry about Canbus.

• I Donated
I already have an uncommon car with an LS though... and it's 10 years newer... and has a manual... :shrug:

Roasting the tires gets expensive. Replacing brake pads gets old. At a certain point, a well handling car with a bit of pep seems about right. I'm over traffic tickets and maintenance issues.

Sounds like Boxkitty needs a 2006 Outback 2.5i with mild suspension work and some decent tires. Oh heyyyyy. Free test rides :lol:

It could be peppy, depending on how you define "peppy."

I say that after just buying someone's outback project.

Pics or it didn't happen!

I already have an uncommon car with an LS though... and it's 10 years newer... and has a manual... :shrug:

*Sniff sniff* do I smell an LS? Hoping to pick up a ported LS6 oil pump, LS2 timing chain, and F-body oil pan soon for the LS1.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

yep, drove a couple mkiv vr6 GTis, and while my 1.8t was no slouch, it didn't hold a candle to the VRs. great fun engines

My Corrado VR6 was pretty fun - Forza 7 does a pretty good job of re-creating it.

I modded it way too much - Quaife, supercharger, final drive, 5th gear, PSS9s, etc. Ended up significantly less reliable than the usual unreliable VWs I had before ('84 GLI, '90 GTi 16v). It was a BEAST when running, though - 260 hp, low gearing, etc.

When I bought the LGT new in '05, my nightmares about driving a car and having it break down while I was driving it became significantly less common :-)

I think one of the reasons GM made Syclone and Typhoon on truck platform because the emissions for trucks was less stringent. It has less vacuum lines than my Subaru and most of them are really just what is necessary (boost control, fuel pressure and MAP sensor connections.) It has one vacuum line tree for cruise, EGR and heater controls.

The ECM isn't locked down. GM ECM of that era had a lot of early DIY support in the 90's and the GMC Syclone/Typhoon is the most developed ODBI GM ECM (unless someone has made great strides with the other ECM's in the recent years.) Obviously the ECM and fueling is crude, but they have open source tuning that is lot easier to tune then Romraider for Subaru. The aftermarket chip made for it has more adjustability and is better/cheaper than a Cobb AP. (it has fueling, timing, and boost control adjustments) It is not plug and play, but it is also isn't that complex either. The simplicity of the electronics also makes it easy to install aftermarket ECMs and you don't have to worry about Canbus.

huh. the more you know...i started on cars in the early 2000s, and just always heard horror stories about early turbos, assumed it was the same. well, guess that makes it more user friendly.

The GM G body platform (Grand National, GNX, T Type) always did pretty well in the early turbo days as well. Add to that the last of the full frame rear drive cars and that was a pretty good combo. They fetch big money these days as well.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I had a 400hp Jaguar xjr. In a straight line or on the freeway, it was stupid fun. In the twisties, the supercharger always caught up about the apex which led to over braking.

Roasting the tires gets expensive. Replacing brake pads gets old. At a certain point, a well handling car with a bit of pep seems about right. I'm over traffic tickets and maintenance issues. I say that after just buying someone's outback project. :-$

I tried to get into drag racing, but the track is too short. Same as with autox. Open road isn't so much fun these days (well before covid, it wasn't). I loved racing but time moves on.

I get to drive the Jeep srt every few years for a few days. I always look for used ones after I leave, but it never sticks. Its more of a brief doses vehicle than a "sell all the subarus" replacement. Likewise the supercharged h2. The mad max duramax pickup was never even on the considerations list, but it was crazy fun to drive. Like being given the keys to "gravedigger" and unleash it on Los Angeles. Alas, mad max was recently driven off a mountain side and wrapped around a tree. The driver walked away unbroken.

Been looking at mid-80's honda civic sedans. Engine swap, a bit of suspension work, put in a better seat, shave the door handles, add a lockout switch. Put faux rust patches on it. Dent a couple of fenders. Should be the perfect commuter car. Ls1 swap?

Sounds like about where I am. Starting to get tired of all the details but ears still perk up when I smell a project lol!

I saw an 01 XJR with less than 20k kms, for what seems to be a reasonable price. Very tempting, but with that year model and low mileage I'm scared the Nikasil issue is lurking just waiting for a few hard pulls.

so I figured road noise in the 15+ wrx' would be similarly low level.

It's not. We've owned a 2015 and a 2020 and they are both noisy. Also both decklids rattle in the winter. Just fixed the 2020 with some window trim tape.

If you want quiet cabin and supple ride don't get a WRX.

It's not. We've owned a 2015 and a 2020 and they are both noisy. Also both decklids rattle in the winter. Just fixed the 2020 with some window trim tape.

If you want quiet cabin and supple ride don't get a WRX.

+1.

My wife's wrx is very noisy. Even after several trips to the dealer, they gave u.

huh. the more you know...i started on cars in the early 2000s, and just always heard horror stories about early turbos, assumed it was the same. well, guess that makes it more user friendly.

I had a 1988 dodge shadow turbo with 5 speed. It topped out at 125 and would hold until you ran out of gas. cough, cough.

no intercooler.

sold it to a buddy for $1 at 196,000 miles. original everything - engine, turbo, transmission, exhaust system, interior etc. I did replace the oem brakes at 107,000 miles when they catastrophically failed (disc shattered)

Sounds like Boxkitty needs a 2006 Outback 2.5i with mild suspension work and some decent tires. Oh heyyyyy. Free test rides :lol:

It could be peppy, depending on how you define "peppy."

Pics or it didn't happen!

vf37, twin scroll, jdm 6mt, underbody armor, beefy front bumper, fmic, lifted, the entire interior was filled to the top with parts.

iphone <> pics.