LegacyGT.com

got some new stuff for engine R&R

Yes the Spec B's is coated. That car has only had 4000 miles in the last 14 months. The wagon gets 20,000 miles a year.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 10 months later...

Figured its time for a update as it's been a while since I last did.

The ej257 is still running great, it has 140,400 miles on it.

Recently had the Spec LWFW reinstalled and new Spec 2+ clutch installed along with The Driveshaft Stores Propeller Shaft with replaceable U Joints. This is the third Spec 2+ in the car, it has the lightest pedal pressure yet, I'd say its very close to stock feel.

At the same time the STI solid steering U Joint was installed, that seems to have fixed the intermittent shimmy on the steering wheel at 68-72mph. That issue has its own thread.

I really enjoy driving the car with LWFW, it had a smfw for the past 93,000 miles.

I also reinstalled the OEM starter which was replaced years ago with a reman. The OEM had the grinding after I released the key back to run. I took it apart years ago, grease it and had it on the shelf waiting. I'll say is makes less noise then the reman unit when starting the engine. That reman starter needing to be energized, key to start, a few times to get it to spin the FW. Found that short heavy wire from the starter motor to the solenoid was about gone, most of it had disappeared over time. I'll keep it around in case I ever need it for a "core charge" .

When the starter was replaced, I installed the spare tranny cross member that came with the spare 5mt that has been in the shed for about 3 years now.

Funny thing, I bought Energy Suspension bushing for it, but found they were softer then what was in place in the cross member. I did not install them. I'll assume the ones were the Group N mount bushings...? also had the Cobb shifter bushings installed.

The 5mt shifts pretty nicely again. A fresh rebuild on that was needed, some may recall about mid July the shifter got stuck between gears.

In April the engine mounts were also replaced.

Other long running issue were the NAPA calipers. Finally the 5th right front is working great. I have also learned the grind down the tabs on the brake pads so they slide easily in the spring clips in the brackets. All the replacement calipers from NAPA were free.

Back in Spring 2017 I replaced all the calipers on both cars. NAPA remans, yesterday after replacing the both rear brackets on the Spec B, only 15,000 miles on those brakes. I asked the NAPA guy, "is it me", He said no, Cardon had a issue that they figured out about a year ago. The new parts are much better. Kind of the same thing the guy at Advance Auto told me.

I guess that's why even three years out the brake parts are free replacements. No hassle getting that.

That about covers it. The car is once again a blast to drive, 294,740 miles today.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
The car turned 297,000 miles a couple weeks back, retiring last Aug has really cut down on my driving along with covid stopping me from going to VT for skiing every week, as planned...

amazing a turbo subaru lasting almost 300k

Remember, not many of the key parts are still original, both rear CV axles are about the only major parts that came on the car along with most of the sensors and the rebuilt heads that didn't need any valves just replaced the seals.

Other Original parts;

coils

alternator

injectors

most sensors

rear axles

Throttle Body & TGV's

heads, valves & springs

It's currently at the trusted mechanic's to install new rear control arms and whiteline trailing arm bushings. Called yesterday to check on it, they have to cut just about every old rusty bolt out. That's why I figured I'd rather pay them then fight it myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice hitting the 300k club! Mine is currently nearing a clutch and timing belt replacement given the price for both (parts and labor) I am contemplating just pulling the engine to replace the SB and getting the heads checked and refreshed.

When you got your heads done did you replace all the springs, retainers and related hardware?

My heads didn't need any parts like that. The machine shop just replaced the seals. All metal parts were fine.

Remember the car had been on Cobb AP since 8000 miles.

On the drive home from being grandpa daycare today, I noticed it's at 297,687 miles.

An update on the rear suspension parts installed May 21st, the rear is much quieter while driving. The car is still a blast to drive.

Edited by Max Capacity

• 2 months later...
just commenting to follow this thread. im currently gather parts and in for a 2007 sti swap for me 2008 2.5i legacy. yes i know i have alot of work ahead of me, but it is a family project with my kids. i am trying to find a list of everything in the engine bay that bolts onto the ej257.