LegacyGT.com

Chasing a front end shimmy

Congrats on retirement...just in time to enjoy the 'no front end shimmy' more! Now that you won't be driving to work in the wagon everyday, this will allow other 200k+ wagon owners to catch up to you

I’ll be right there behind ya. 214K on mine. Coming for you, Max!

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Max, no good input from me about the shimmy but congratulations on the retirement!

Thanks to all.

On this Sunday morning, it's nice to know I don't have to do lunch and food planning for the week. I can always go to the grocery store on Monday.

It's the simple things that matter the most.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Max congrats on both fronts, shimmy gone and retirement! I was offline most of this time, great news for you. Enjoy it!

Any big plans for retirement? Looks like you'll be staying up north more than before?

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Yes, if we can get a somewhat normal ski season, I plan to ski more.

For now, it's 9:40AM I woke up at 8:25AM and just finished a Ham and Egg breakfast.

Next project is to vacuum out the fins on the bottom of the refrigerator.

;) It's not fun and games... LOL

As for the shimmy, I drove the wagon to my Dr.'s yesterday for my annual Physical, no shimmy either way on the highway, 70-75mph. 580 miles with the solid U joint in there.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Question!!

Do you have to drop the steering rack, to get the knuckle out? I got both the bolts out but I can't seem to get it off anything? I'm working from the top. Any tips?

Yeah you have to drop the rack. Maybe not totally, you might be able to get away with just loosening the bolts that hold it under the gear box but yes you need to drop it a little

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

It isn't difficult.

Don't drop the rack

1) Remove old

2) Install new

3) repeat step 2 if wheel gets out of alignment. No rack alignment needed.

(I edited what I originally wrote cause I was wrong for once in my life....since the last time I was wrong)

Edited by jaylew

Steering Rack Rebuild

Yes, if we can get a somewhat normal ski season, I plan to ski more.

For now, it's 9:40AM I woke up at 8:25AM and just finished a Ham and Egg breakfast.

Next project is to vacuum out the fins on the bottom of the refrigerator.

;) It's not fun and games... LOL

As for the shimmy, I drove the wagon to my Dr.'s yesterday for my annual Physical, no shimmy either way on the highway, 70-75mph. 580 miles with the solid U joint in there.

Idle hands are the devils plaything! :lol: Its ok to relax but make sure to keep yourself occupied. You'd be surprised how many retirees get bored after several months, that's the way my father was. And make sure to stay healthy, watch what your eating ;) bad eating and less activity is a bad combination!

Idle hands are the devils plaything! :lol: Its ok to relax but make sure to keep yourself occupied. You'd be surprised how many retirees get bored after several months, that's the way my father was. And make sure to stay healthy, watch what your eating ;) bad eating and less activity is a bad combination!

Thanks, yeah I have been eating healthy the past 30 years or so. Nothing strange just make sure I have a balanced diet, nothing extreme.

You don't have to drop the rack to remove the steering knuckle. Go under the car and remove the two bolts holding the knuckle in. Slide the knuckle up to remove it from the rack side and then down to remove from the car. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Boom. Ordered. It is on back order, so no telling when I'll get it.

Can you believe that some of the Subaru parts sites are selling this solid u-joint for $202?! That is absurd!

I ordered a 2015-2019 STi solid steering u-joint. #PN here: 34170VA030

Ordered through here:

https://subieautoparts.com/product/2015-2019-subaru-wrx-sti-steering-linkage-assembly-knuckle-34170va030/

Any word / updates on this? I know you said it was on back order but I was planning on ordering one soon and totally going to ride coat tails!

Steering Rack Rebuild

FYI,

today I noticed in post #163, https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/project-phoenix-05-wagon-restoration-278922p5.html

He has a STI solid link next to the OEM link.

• 4 weeks later...

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

• 8 months later...

How did it turn out, much improved?

Were you able to use the existing bolts from the LGT U-Joint or did you have to source new bolts for the STI U-Joint?