LegacyGT.com

JDM EJ20X Subaru 2.0L TURBO AVCS MOTOR LEGACY GT

JDM EJ20X Subaru 2.0L TURBO AVCS MOTOR For an 05-08 Legacy GT?

Any info on these JDM engines that are always selling on line?

It may seem like a better alternative if you lose you're engine and don't have the time or money for a long term build.

Freshly imported from Japan, Subaru Legacy GT Replacement engines.

Low miles, Tested and Verified.

Will fit any Legacy GT (TURBO MODEL) from Model-Year 2005 until 2008 inclusively.

These are Boxer 4 cylinder 2.0L DOHC 16Valves, AVCS TURBO...

Easy to install, lower fuel consumption, lower emissions.

2.0L Turbo Subaru engines are more reliable than the 2.5's.

They do not have the head gasket design flaw commonly associated with the North American 2.5L.

Semi-closed deck, forged crank and rods.

Also interested in this swap. My short block went after about 17,000 miles :mad: So now im looking to get my car up and running again for less then it would cost to rebuild. I'll either be putting in a 257 or 255 USDM long block or possibly a 20X JDM 2.0L. My mechanic who is doing the swap for me and is familiar with swapping in JDM/ej20X's says that it is rather simple swap. If you switch over your intake manifold along with the wiring harness, IC, turbo, etc the only other thing needed to covert it is USDM pulleys (crank gear, driver cam gear). My question is if this is accurate and weather the ECU will needed to be changed since the displacement is different?

No I fully trust my mechanic otherwise I wouldn't go to him. I'm just trying to find as much info as I can on the parts I need before spending 2k on a new long block. Was just looking for someone who has done this swap specifically in their 4th gen LGT and could verify what's needed.

Also interested in this swap. My short block went after about 17,000 miles :mad: So now im looking to get my car up and running again for less then it would cost to rebuild. I'll either be putting in a 257 or 255 USDM long block or possibly a 20X JDM 2.0L. My mechanic who is doing the swap for me and is familiar with swapping in JDM/ej20X's says that it is rather simple swap. If you switch over your intake manifold along with the wiring harness, IC, turbo, etc the only other thing needed to covert it is USDM pulleys (crank gear, driver cam gear). My question is if this is accurate and weather the ECU will needed to be changed since the displacement is different?

There are two JDM sellers here in my area. I have been curious to know more about this swap. I would think that someone on here has done this swap since so many dudes are blowing up their engines or having their turbo's fail and contaminating the oil in the block. It would be a great alternative if you are in a jam and don't have thousands of dollars to invest in a build.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/ptd/5403116642.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ptd/5445467763.html

I question how familiar he is with the swap if he is suggesting swapping over all those parts. Why not use the parts that came with the engine?

And, to do it correctly, you're going to need the ECU. I'd bet he isn't swapping the ECU due to the immobilizer.

The engines are a bolt in swap, for the most part. The wiring is a bit more complex to do it right.

Are you're single AVCS ECU's capable of having the dual AVCS run or would you have to just resort to single?

Also, could be wrong but fairly certain, the x/y blocks aren't semi closed. Unless they're using a 207 block with the Legacy heads. And just calling it a Legacy engine.

And none of the single scroll turbo setups you guys use will really work with it either so thats another headache. Is it really a cheap, worthwhile swap when everything else needs to be done with it.

The increasingly common thing to do on this side of the world when things go bang is to get a 257 shortblock and run it with the dual AVCS 2.0 heads and twinscroll for super awesome spoolup. Thats gonna be my future plan

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

I ended up finding a 257 long block for a great deal and bought that. Will be far less expensive in the end. Car should be up and running by next weekend and ill be creating a build thread for anyone who's interested. Back on this topic, yes after more research I have realized that is more of a headache than i'm interested in. Although the physical swap and components are an "easy" job the wiring is a huge hassle.

I question how familiar he is with the swap if he is suggesting swapping over all those parts. Why not use the parts that came with the engine?

And, to do it correctly, you're going to need the ECU. I'd bet he isn't swapping the ECU due to the immobilizer.

The engines are a bolt in swap, for the most part. The wiring is a bit more complex to do it right.

Yes I believe you are correct about this. Since I went a different route anyway I didn't bother him with the details but I believe he is accustom to doing these JDM swaps on WRX's where the displacement is the same and the ECU is less of an issue.

Are you're single AVCS ECU's capable of having the dual AVCS run or would you have to just resort to single?

Also, could be wrong but fairly certain, the x/y blocks aren't semi closed. Unless they're using a 207 block with the Legacy heads. And just calling it a Legacy engine.

And none of the single scroll turbo setups you guys use will really work with it either so thats another headache. Is it really a cheap, worthwhile swap when everything else needs to be done with it.

The increasingly common thing to do on this side of the world when things go bang is to get a 257 shortblock and run it with the dual AVCS 2.0 heads and twinscroll for super awesome spoolup. Thats gonna be my future plan

Andy i'm not sure 100% but from my reading I believe the single vs dual scroll would also cause issues also. As i've said i'm no longer seriously pursuing this but that twinscroll 257 set up you mentioned DOES sound quite bad ass!

These swaps are not that much of a headache, but I would not want to pay a shop to figure it out or do it. If you were charged for all the labor and research involved you'd have a lot invested.

The use of the US ECU is not an issue of displacement differences. It has everything to do with single AVCS vs. dual AVCS. If you want it right then you'd need the ECU. I suspect your mechanic either does not want to put forth the effort to figure it out (probably because most customers would throw a fit about the bill) or due to local emissions checks. I do not know if the JDM engine and ECU would pass a typical emissions inspection.

Use of the twin scroll turbo and piping presents no issue at all. The downpipe is different however, so you'd need to either fabricate one or get the one from the JDM car the engine came from.

I've got over 10k miles on my swap, runs fine.

• 2 months later...
There's a place called East Coast Swappers in Windsor Locks CT. They do mostly Subaru stuff, you might want to look them up.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Interesting I thought the 2L short block pistons were stronger. Do you normally swap in forged?

The pistons aren't so bad but its not like they like big power either, just seem to do bearings instead. A 207 shortblock is alright but the x/y blocks aren't so solid when pushing things past the low 200wkw region.

Chuck a set of forged pistons into a semi closed 257 and you've got a solid bottom end that'll take a fair bit of a beating. 207's with forged pistons do well too but lose a fair bit of low end spool/torque.

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

Archived