LegacyGT.com

2016 Smart Engine Remote Start

I have a 2016 Legacy Limited with the Smart Engine start option. Some times it works and sometimes it doesn't. Most of the time is doesn't. What could the problem be. I purchased the vehicle used with 37k. The few times I was successful as soon as you open a door the vehicle would shut off. Before I purchase another remote start I want to make sure its not something I am overlooking.

Thank You

All doors also must be locked and shut including the trunk. Not sure what else may cause issues.
The OEM remote start will lock the doors, this is not a prerequisite for operation of the starter.

OP, if your remote starter is the Subaru unit, it's a POS and needs to be replaced with something that works. There are many threads here about these, even one of my own.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Edited by hkshooter

OP, if your starter is the Subaru unit, it's a POS and needs to be replaced with something that works.

You might want to clarify that you're talking about the accessory Remote Start system, not the "starter" (i.e. starter motor) itself.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

The OEM remote start will lock the doors, this is not a prerequisite for operation of the starter.

OP, if your remote starter is the Subaru unit, it's a POS and needs to be replaced with something that works. There are many threads here about these, even one of my own.

my OEM Remote Start is 10 years old and it functions perfectly...

as to needing the doors locked, nope, it takes are of it but if the trunk/hatch or hood is open no go... car will not start.

my OEM Remote Start is 10 years old and it functions perfectly...

as to needing the doors locked, nope, it takes are of it but if the trunk/hatch or hood is open no go... car will not start.

I'm sure it does but it's an apples to oranges comparison. Your remote start isn't the same one installed in the OPs car most likely and definitely isn't the same TWO I had installed in my own 2016. My experience is detailed elsewhere but in a nutshell, my dealer installed an OEM plug and play Subaru remote starter in my car before I took delivery. It soon failed to work properly. Warranty replaced it. That one soon began malfunctioning. SOA bought it back from me and I removed it myself. A contact at SIA flat out said the current (at that time) remote starter was junk, to remove it and go aftermarket.

So I did.

I'm sure it does but it's an apples to oranges comparison. Your remote start isn't the same one installed in the OPs car most likely and definitely isn't the same TWO I had installed in my own 2016. My experience is detailed elsewhere but in a nutshell, my dealer installed an OEM plug and play Subaru remote starter in my car before I took delivery. It soon failed to work properly. Warranty replaced it. That one soon began malfunctioning. SOA bought it back from me and I removed it myself. A contact at SIA flat out said the current (at that time) remote starter was junk, to remove it and go aftermarket.

So I did.

What after market unit did you go with?

I bought my 2016 used a little over 2 years ago and worked the OEM remote starter installation into the deal. I haven't had any problems with it. Had I not gotten it worked into the deal, I'd probably go aftermarket because the OEM is pricey, but I'm happy with how it worked out for me.

So I did.

installed at the factory or at the dealer, it is the same unit

it is a very similar unit to the ones used in previous cars and it operates in the same manner, there are 2 variants of the OEM starting solution one for keyed vehicles, one for push button start.

it is an audiovox unit

H001SAJ000 vsH001SAL101 go look up the kits and you will see that they are nearly identical, same remote, same antenna, control box looks similar... cabling and brackets nearly the same.

Same problem here. Remote start is very erratic. It will work about a 1/3 of the time using the Key Fob. Works about 90 percent of the time using the Remote Start Key Fob.

I have literally shown Subaru tech guys videos of me standing 30 feet away from the car using the Key Fob and it going through the motions of blinking and honking and NOT starting, and its like Im talking to a wall that says "we cannot do anything about it unless we see it in person." Unbelievable!!! I think they just don't want to mess with it because they know its flawed through in through.

Second time I have taken it into Subaru to be looked at and of course its "working perfectly". Its a pile of junk and will not be purchasing it again. The reason I use my Key Fob to remote start is I don't want to carry around another bulky FOB. My Camary has the remote start built in and its nice. Don't know why Subaru cannot do the same but hey if their Key Fobs don't work with Remote Start why do it.

I have come to the conclusion that Subaru Remote Start is a horrible horrible investment and its a pile of junk.