LegacyGT.com

I purchased my second Spec B, needs suspension work, I feel like this is a stpid question, the car will never see the track, but I do like to get on it from time to time, not just down the highway. So I stick with the B6 bilsteins? Bought mediocre sway bar links and ball joints, bushings should I go with aftermarket or stock, whats the difference does after market last longer or is there a noticable difference. Also have a cob V2 tuner Im getting rid cause its garbage. Limted maps with almost unnoticle gains. My 2007 Spec b had im not sure what size but a turbo off of a 12-14 sti, stock pipe and cobb intake and it mooved. I'd like to image the 2007 ecu and (talk to the tuners) slap this tubro on with my cat back. The 08 stock turbo with the horrible cobb tunes are no pull, overboost and flutter, even at lower rpms. I know about the smaller than normal wastegate passage, but honestly to have a selection of a few maps for 650 is dumb. Im going open source.

I don't get the issue with the AP. Sure it comes with generic maps from Cobb, but it's also a tuning interface for a tuner to use to build you a custom map, same as Tactrix/Opensource. Why get rid of the AP if you already have it?

As far as suspension goes, Konis and your choice of available lowering springs are a good option if you don't want to spring for quality coilovers. Bigger rear sway bar wouldn't hurt. But, I'd get a good set of summer tires before that, you'll be amazed what a difference it makes versus cheap tires and/or all-seasons.

Aftermarket bushings will be tighter/stiffer than OEM rubber ones. I like mine, but OEM ones will still make a difference if your old ones are shot. How do they look?

Edited by awfulwaffle

Unless you plan on tuning yourself, if you’re in central jersey, contact Rich at precision tuning in spotswood. He can point you in the right direction to get the most out of your car (hardware and tuning wise). He knows a lot of us do our own work and he respects that although they are a full service shop and he can repair, install, or build whatever you need. Most likely he’ll tell you keep the AP and use it for the tuning interface as Cobb has made tuning through the AP a safe and reliable process. Only caveat is that Cobb no longer offers support for the v2. I had my car tuned there and Kevin (the tuner) did a fantastic job, took his time, and for every question I asked, he explained everything in great detail.

I second Awfulwaffle on the bushings and summer tires. New OEM bushings will make a significant enough difference if your old ones are shot. Poly bushings are not necessary if you aren't tracking the car. The money/time could be better spent in other areas. Plus you'll have to worry about greasing/lubing every so often.

P.S. I'm super satisfied with my Michelin Pilot Super Sport 4Ss.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

I actually can recommend a couple poly bushings here and there, but I mostly use them in places where they're prone to falling apart quickly in these cars, like the trailing arm bushings, front LCA bushings, rear lateral link bushings (replace these with the Whiteline KTA124 kit 100%), and upgraded sway bar endlinks and bars and you've got yourself quite a stout-handling car.

For the Cobb Accessport, DEFINITELY keep it. It's required by many tuners for their dyno tuning. Any tuner worth their salt will prefer tuning on an Accessport over the old open source way, and some might tell you after certain power levels that they'll do AP only.

For the Bilsteins, yes, they're OK, but I've heard that many prefer the Koni shocks over the Bilsteins, esp. with an aftermarket lowering spring. See if that route is available to you. Coilovers that are worth your time on our cars start at like 1700+ dollars.

I Know rich I talked to him for quite a while while I was told I can get u an engine for your spec b in 2 weeks tops, 6 weeks later I pick it up 20 min down the road, CEL, I clear it this is a sat so not open until Tues, I must have gotten 3-5 more cels before I take it there. I'd like to have him tune my 08, no communication after paying a lot of money up front calling and not getting calls back. Maybe he's always busy and he's a great guy who knows his shit really knows. But my experience has left a bad taste in my mouth and NJ is full of Subaru tuners. I spent 180 on a tactrix, sell cobb for IDC $100 I didn't buy it. Pull maps compare, if no major differences slap the turbo on and I'm back to making 315 at the wheels, Instead of what maybe 10% over stock? Do u know how much it sucks to be with ur daily driver for 6 weeks having no idea what's going on, paying for rentals oirnof ur pocket so u can get to work. I don't even want to add it all together cause it will. Make me sick. Get it back didn't touch turbo cel, I just paid this insane ammount of money and I cel 20mins later? Come on

**Nothing against Rich he is probably the most intelligent person I've had the pleasure to talk Subaru with, there all I ever owned from Impreza to rs, did all my own work was fortunate to have a stepbrother inlaw who was a Subaru Mechanic. I asked Rich about this mod and that mod no you don't want to do it because, most people won't turn money away. He is straight with u, and I'm not blaming him because one of his workers "handled" my job.

So yeah I know Rich very well.

That’s a bummer that you had a bad experience. I’ve always found it best to email Melo as he would get back to me pretty much right away. Yeah Rich is one busy dude and like you said he knows his shit. From what it sounds you’d probably be best to move over the hardware you want from the 07 to the 08 and get it dyno tuned. Moving over a map from one to the other might be doable but its i would think it’s sort of an OTS at that point. Not really made for that car. Moving the ecu over would cause an immobilizer issue which can be corrected following the steps in another thread on this forum.

If you don’t mind me asking. What happened with the 07? Is the car totaled or something?

I went with all different combo's with my SpecB.. Ended up with coilovers.. solved the saggy A$$ and gave me more options with tire and wheels without having to keep buying parts.