LegacyGT.com

brake system... flush or not flush

08LGT80

hi everyone,

i took my car in for a 145,000 miles service last week and they told me my brake fluid is dirty and need to flush the entire brake system. my question is.. is it necessary to flush the brake system because it is a sealed air tight system right? so how can it get dirty? will the brake fluid get bad over time? should i service the brake system? thx for the help!

The brake fluid should be flushed out and replaced every time brakes are serviced as a good rule of thumb. Over time, brake fluid does change and break down from exposure to heat, pressure and changing weather. It can also get debris in the system itself from various components.

Brake fluid can get bad over time - from various different types of contamination including moisture and dirt.

Depending on how you drive, you can also boil over your fluid at which point its garbage. I usually flush every 30-40k and anytime a caliper is removed.

brake fluid is hygroscopic, it holds water with age. water leads to spongy brake feel, or all out brake failure on the worst end. Recommended interval for a replace and bleed is 3 years. idealy i like to do yearly. shops can use machines for it, howeve nothing better then a full gravity bleed. never let the master go low.

I use blue fluid, its easy to tell when clean starts to drip through so you know to close the bleeders and wrap her up.

^^ Your blue fluid (guessing ATE SuperBlue) has been outlawed by our lovely Federal Goberment as of August 2013 or so. It seems they were concerned that someone might mistake the blue color for coolant. The law requires brake fluid to be clear to amber in color.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ate-super-blue-recall-because-its-blue-213650.html?t=213650

yes it was unfortunately banned. i want to know how many people added blue brake fluid to blue coolant or to their washer tanks. ******* idiots. however i stocked up, and so did a few buddies. Red is still available

i stocked up on blue, still have 2 sealed big containers. a few friends did too.

I would bleed the whole system. That's what I did last fall. There's a specific order you have to do the wheels in and right enough, when I was finishing the last wheel I could see the bubbles coming out. The pedal feel is much better now. The new pads and rotors didn't hurt either. And yes, you can tell when the "old" fluid has come out because the fresh, new fluid is clear.

Archived