LegacyGT.com

Whistle noise under acceleration why?

I have just started to hear a like whistle noise is the best reference to explain it under acceleration. I did notice that the last two years my turbo under stage 2 is only putting down 8 to 9.5lbs of boost. Car has only 45,652 miles on it. Thought it might be my blowoff valve considering I hear it from the driverside. I do not get the noise when I sit at a stand still and rev it up. Is that damn VF40 turbo ready to blow again?, is that a funny spooling noise I'm hearing? Please advice. I have found the post back from 2008 that member's are still commenting on about having blown turbo's and how the dealers for the most part cover the repair. THe motor in this car has already been replaced from the previous owner at 34,000 miles.

A new motor @34k, and new turbo within the last 11k amazing. I'm knocking on wood. I guess there is something to stay stock, stay happy. I hope it's not something major. I'd surely be pissed though. GL

Does it sound like a mechanical whistle or air escaping whistle? If the latter then my (optimistic) guess would be BOV or wastegate, you're still making boost just not as the pressure's you should be - you're losing pressure somewhere.

Gex is right though, checking the turbo for shaft play should be the first thing to do - make sure that's not going to go => most expensive fix

A whistle is not good.

Before you start the engine again, do a boost leak test. Put a pint size paint can in the hose off the air filter box, Pull the small hose off the BOV and give it a quick blast of air from a compressor. Put your thumb over the hose and listen for leaks.

Hopefully your tmic is leaking.

If not, you need to pull the down pipe and check the turbo for shaft play. Do not start the engine until you do those test. If the turbo is making the noise you'll risk putting metal into the oil system.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If suddenly let off the gas after revving the engine under load do you hear the whine spin down? If so, its the turbo.

Best test is floor it up to ~40, then let off the gas and shift to Neutral. The boost will drop instantly, the turbo will take 2-3 sec to spin down.

It was the turbo inlet, it came loose off the turbo, I have put it back up tight again and did not tightned it down as much, seems to be holding on better, tighter I guess on that Perrin inlet tube does not mean better grip with the material its made of.

I have just started to hear a like whistle noise is the best reference to explain it under acceleration. I did notice that the last two years my turbo under stage 2 is only putting down 8 to 9.5lbs of boost. Car has only 45,652 miles on it.

So this has been going on for two years? :huh:

I'm hoping that you meant "gears," not "years."

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Archived