LegacyGT.com

Timing broke, bent valves

The timing belt broke on my 2005 legacy and I'm trying to find a manual to make sure I'm put it back together right.

Ej25 naturally aspirated SOHC

After getting the heads off I found i got lucky and only bent 12/16 valves. The pistons and heads are fine. I got the parts of order and just wanted a manual for torq specs and procedures. If someone has a spare or a pdf they could part with would be greatly appreciated.

Use a metric feeler gauge instead of guessing with a inch gauge. Following factory specs is good enough. Measurements in the manual are with the timing belt on, however, no one does it that way when rebuilding heads.

If you ever wondered if you had a tendency to overthink something, doing valve lash on a ej25 will resolve that for you. Either you obsess about .01mm or you don't. The engine will still run in either case.

Ok thanks box. I got the parts arriving tomorrow. Would you happen to know the measurements in metric?

I pretty much always use metric anyway because all the motorcycles I rebuild are Japanese. I tend to make these in the middle of the range, is that a good practice for this engine as well?

i only know the 2005 turbo ej . Later years tightened up the tolerance. If you wanted to be obsessed, you would look at specs for 2009 ej25 sohc. vacation pix has them and tells you how to check.

rando story of woe: a machine shop & I had a difference of opinion on the quality of their work when setting the valve lash. When the actual machinist arrived to present his side he brought his .001" resolution feeler gauges. He then proceeded to forcefully check the lash. When he was all done, all the intakes were .008" not whatever the mm spec I'd asked for. The cams & buckets all had scratches on them. Ultimately, I went to the place I should have used originally and got it done right. Required all new buckets because damage. :)

The Subaru dealer from Wyoming sends all their heads off to an extremely reputable machine shop that does all the decking lashes all the valves on bench

Good point. I know my buddies machine shop does the same for most of the dealers in the area.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I got the heads back on and just wanted to update. I did pre adjust the valves on the bench but after I torqued them on the engine they tightened up so I had to readjust. Just figured I would update for anyone else with the same question. Thanks again for everyone's help