LegacyGT.com

How much is it to rebuild the tranny

danielcdh

I've got an 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5L. Now the transmission is dying, and the dealership suggested me to replace it (cost $3400 including labor and parts). I'm thinking that I could possibly rebuild the tranny instead. Does anyone know how much does it usually cost to rebuild a tranny for the Subaru car?

Thanks!

dealerships love to replace trannys at over inflated prices. its why most times they can talk the person into trading it in on something newer, as opposed to paying a 3350 bill. now, after the car gets traded in, the dealer doesnt put a new tranny in, they source a used one from a junkyard for 300 bucks, install it, then sell car for profit.

You, should ask for a junkyard transmission (they come with warranty), and go with it.

So it's not suggested that I should do a tranny rebuild? is it risky or something?

No I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with having it rebuilt. If you have a reputable shop near you that is familiar with Subaru transmissions then go for it.

Seariously, buy a used replacement trans, take your car to a transmission shop (where your trans should be replaced anyways, dealer techs most often don't know what they're doing) and be done with it. Trans is easily less than $1000, and a good trans specialty shop will ask for about $600-$800. The work will be done faster and the risk of a screw-up from the 23 year-old dealer tech will be eliminated.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Thanks very much for your careful explanation. I'll try to find some salvage title parts. Do I have to get the exact tranny from another 99 Subaru Legacy Outback? Or I can choose from the legacy outback of model of other years? E.g. can I use a salvage tranny in a 98 Subaru legacy outback in my car? How about tranny in 2000/2002 Subaru Legacy Outback model? How could I get the information about which tranny is compatible?

BTW, if it's a tranny in a salvage car, it's usually in a car after an accident. I'm wondering how to check if the tranny is injured in the accident?

Thanks a lot!

• 11 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...