LegacyGT.com

SOA is replacing sticky dash, are there other things to look at while Dash is removed

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to a dealer who agreed with the issue. They told me to contact SOA. SOA talked to the dealer. The dealer gave some crazy repair estimate - like $2000. I told SOA I couldnt spend that and asked if they could pay for the part. They agreed. I been looking at that box for about 4 months and finally got it done.

I just had my 06 LGT in for the airbag recall. It had the sticky dash problem. The dealer honored it and replaced it for free. They even broke my center heating vent trim...so I got a new one of those too.:lol:

...too bad it took them 2 months to find my underboost problem in the LGT. I was doing a CHRA replacement on my 05 FXT and my LGT turbo crapped the bed.

So I sent the LGT into the dealer to get it fixed ASAP since the FXT was down (figured it would only take a day or two for the stealership to fix it). Nope, the FXT was finished a week later (due to waiting for parts to arrive) and my LGT had to wait for NINE WEEKS at the stealership to get an official diagnosis. I think this is why the replaced the dash parts so quickly and w/o protest.

Got a $500 service credit from SOA too!:lol:

Anyway...if you got a sticky dash, go talk to the dealer. I don't know if it made a difference, but my 06 only has 101,835 miles

I'm going to give this product a shot-

https://stickydashfix.com/

Shipped out from Australia and has decent reviews. SOA won't respond to any of the emails or phone calls to date.

Please give us a review when you're done. I've been eyeing that for a while and if it's fairly simple I'd go with it. My local dealer wouldn't help, and suggested I not bother with SOA though I suppose it's an option.

The airbag cant be replaced without removing that sticky dash. And that sticky dash will certainly be damaged by the process. Removing the vents will certainly destroy it. If you have an airbag recall and sticky das U are golden It will be covered

According to this below, it is in fact possible to fix the airbag without removing the dash. Does require to remove the center console/vent though.

Subaru bulletin for replacement of airbag. tools list & order of use for even the most basic tech to follow. Using this procedure should take no more than 30 minutes, much less for an experienced tech.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2016/RCRIT-16V358-5167.pdf

I suggest printing this before going for your replacement. Or even taping it to the dash.

Also suggest removing all your customizations to avoid complications.

Supposedly it can be done through the cubby hole and with the glovebox removed

My dealer is taking the passenger side air bag out through the cubby hole without removing the dash....

Remove glovebox

remove center cubby

remove right side vent

unbolt airbag

remove through cubby hole

Takes them 45min at the most

suboperator quoting the guy above

That's what the tech at the dealer told me they do. I have mine scheduled in about a week and did express to him that I am concerned about them ruining the interior; his response was that they don't take the dash board out at all and they are just as uninterested in buying me a new dash.

We'll see how it goes. I WILL take the pictures before and will let them know I did that.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/takata-airbag-recall-now-includes-2005-2008-legacy-and-outback-248366p5.html

They can definitely replace the airbag without removing the dash. I've watched it happen.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5943222&postcount=28

The airbag cant be replaced without removing that sticky dash. And that sticky dash will certainly be damaged by the process. Removing the vents will certainly destroy it. If you have an airbag recall and sticky das U are golden It will be covered

This was exactly what happened to me, except they apparently did not use the "special tool" and busted up more parts...which were replaced free. They said it cracked apart when they tried to remove it...along with them breaking the central vent assembly around my navi as well.

Thanksgiving was bit busier than I expected with family and what not, so I didn't get the time to give the Stickydashfix a shot. Unfortunately, my next day off is 12/19 so it's going to be a little while.

I will still report back my findings when I get to it.

• 1 month later...
Thanksgiving was bit busier than I expected with family and what not, so I didn't get the time to give the Stickydashfix a shot. Unfortunately, my next day off is 12/19 so it's going to be a little while.

I will still report back my findings when I get to it.

Any chance you've had a chance to try this out? I'm considering picking it up myself. Either that or a dash mat...

What frustrates me is that I've had my cars garaged for the past 6 years! Always parked the cars in the shade if I could, or used a sun shade. And yet, both of them have a bunch of cracks everywhere, and exhibit the stickiness :mad:. Although the latter is not really happening anymore now that I live in a dry climate. Still, the dash material has degrading. I really wonder if we should blame the use of Armor all products and the like too..

I highly doubt its Armor products. I have only used that a couple times on both cars. The wagon is still as good as new. The Spec B, well it's not perfect but got declined for the recall. its a bit sticky but not like some say there's is.

Both cars spend all there life outside pretty much fully in the sun. The wagon would spend time in the shade at work, say after noonish.

It must be that Subaru changed Vendors for dashboards or the Vendor made a change and didn't tell Subaru...?

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I've had somewhat good success with Black Wow trim restore. My dash wasn't sticky but it was white/chalky. I applied it in small sections and buffed off really well. It's hard to get an even coat so I applied this twice to make it look consistent.

In the end, the finish had a slight sheen but not shiny. It was very close in appearance to all the other hard plastics. It's been a full year since the initial application, unfortunately the white/chalky appearance has returned. My car is also garage kept, since new. I would consider doing this again rather than a full dash repair.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Wow-BW04-4oz/dp/B00144FZUG/ref=lp_3019183011_1_1?s=specialty-aps

I used it a lot before though, not just a couple of times.

How hot does it get in CT though or where you live?

He *might see* the 90's a few time a year up in the northern hills. I grew up in Wallingford CT and mid-high 80's with stifling humidity is CT summer norms.

I moved to Texas in '11 (with my purchased-new 06 GT) and upper 90's to low 100's are the new norm here ...car reaches 130's if unshaded in direct sun!!!!

Next Subie will NOT be black! My red FXT only gets into the 120's at its worst...even with the greenhouse-sized windows and moonroof.