LegacyGT.com

Diag for metal on metal under load and while braking

Just wondering if anyone has any insight to the noise I'm experiencing. Sounds like gravel/metal grinding on metal while driving. Has progressively gotten worse as it has gotten colder. Coming from right front side, only while under load and braking, cruising noise seems to disappear. Vid below (whining noise is a bad ground, can faintly hear the noise I describe)

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

I couldn't make it out in the video. Regardless, someone's going to have to get in that right-front wheel well anyway. It's best to take an hour yourself, remove the wheel and visually inspect to see if you can see the problem, rather than pay someone else an hour's labor rate to do the same thing.

Maybe worn out pads, down to the metal? A bad wheel bearing?

When was the last time (date and mileage) you replaced/resurfaced the rotors? How about the pads? Have any of the calipers ever been replaced, if so when? Wheel bearing replacements?

It could be something a simple as a rock making contact with the rotor - this happens to me on a monthly basis. Or it could be a little more involved such as replacing a tired wheel bearing.

I've replaced 3x wheel bearing in the last year and half now. Both rears and a front. All gave the same characteristic you've described. Once the metal heats up, the whining isn't as violent. At cruising speeds it simmers. To check the bearing, jack up the car, and grab the tire at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions. Push with one hand while pulling with the other in a continuous back in forth motion. If there's a lot of play, you sir have a bad wheel bearing.

If any of the above directions are confusing, refer to timestamp 1:43 here:

MILKRUN  - Click Here

I couldn't make it out in the video. Regardless, someone's going to have to get in that right-front wheel well anyway. It's best to take an hour yourself, remove the wheel and visually inspect to see if you can see the problem, rather than pay someone else an hour's labor rate to do the same thing.

Maybe worn out pads, down to the metal? A bad wheel bearing?

When was the last time (date and mileage) you replaced/resurfaced the rotors? How about the pads? Have any of the calipers ever been replaced, if so when? Wheel bearing replacements?

It could be something a simple as a rock making contact with the rotor - this happens to me on a monthly basis. Or it could be a little more involved such as replacing a tired wheel bearing.

I've replaced 3x wheel bearing in the last year and half now. Both rears and a front. All gave the same characteristic you've described. Once the metal heats up, the whining isn't as violent. At cruising speeds it simmers. To check the bearing, jack up the car, and grab the tire at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions. Push with one hand while pulling with the other in a continuous back in forth motion. If there's a lot of play, you sir have a bad wheel bearing.

If any of the above directions are confusing, refer to timestamp 1:43 here:

Recorded a new video while coasting in neutral, noise is a lot more apparent.