LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Do we have any threads about doing JDM front end swaps? In particular, I am interested in figuring the engine undertray and fender liners. I believe unclemat was saying the 08+ STI engine undertray is a 100% match but fender liners need to be trimmed. Wondering if getting the same 08+ STI fender liners would work.

This will be 09 JDM SpecB front end going on 05 USDM LGT. I will also need to open up the headlights and deal with RHD to LHD conversion there. This being SpecB front bumper I am thinking about getting some fancy LED fog lights from TRS.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Do we have any threads about doing JDM front end swaps? In particular, I am interested in figuring the engine undertray and fender liners. I believe unclemat was saying the 08+ STI engine undertray is a 100% match but fender liners need to be trimmed. Wondering if getting the same 08+ STI fender liners would work.

This will be 09 JDM SpecB front end going on 05 USDM LGT. I will also need to open up the headlights and deal with RHD to LHD conversion there. This being SpecB front bumper I am thinking about getting some fancy LED fog lights from TRS.

Here you go: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-jdm-conversion-aftermarket-body-thread-112608.html

Finally looks like I have a steering wheel solution in the works. Pretty excited for that, thanks infosecdad. Not excited to install a dash in the spring, but at least Subaru is helping me out with a new one. And I'm grabbing a nice center console lid and maybe a matching WRX passenger seat to complete my set.

Hard parked in the garage for now though, salt all over the roads and snow on the way.

Hard parked in the garage for now though, salt all over the roads and snow on the way.

This is why I have mine lol...not completely a winter beater but that is why I bought it - to bop around in and AWD in the crap weather. Had I known about a few of the expensive issues common to the turbo platform I may have gone with the (Honda) TL I was looking at. I will say the turbo is not what drew me in....the heated leather, remote start and AWD did. That said, I do get that people want to preserve them and I enjoy driving the car for what it is.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

On a whim bought Infosecdad's Swift springs last night. I guess this spring's suspension refresh will be bigger than I initially planned. Time to think about Konis and what direction I want to go with the rear, either full whiteline lower control arms, or just refresh the bushings and get the upper camber kit.

Let's be honest, I'll probably go for the full control arm route.

Well now I'm waffling between Konis and Bilsteins. In reading a bunch of posts, seems like the swifts sit a bit lower on Konis than the Bilsteins in the front.

*EDIT* Maybe not actually the case? I'm sure it'll be fine, I'm just going into full analysis paralysis mode.

Edited by tehspud

This is why I have mine lol...not completely a winter beater but that is why I bought it - to bop around in and AWD in the crap weather. Had I known about a few of the expensive issues common to the turbo platform I may have gone with the (Honda) TL I was looking at. I will say the turbo is not what drew me in....the heated leather, remote start and AWD did. That said, I do get that people want to preserve them and I enjoy driving the car for what it is.

Ah, but I daily drove my wagon for 8 years before turning it into a garage car. It was a tank in the winters for me, but my Forester does that much more comfy these days.

Well now I'm waffling between Konis and Bilsteins. In reading a bunch of posts, seems like the swifts sit a bit lower on Konis than the Bilsteins in the front.

*EDIT* Maybe not actually the case? I'm sure it'll be fine, I'm just going into full analysis paralysis mode.

Back in the day on my LGT sedan I had, JDM wagon Swift springs on JDM Bilstein struts. It was a little harsh for some people, but I thought it was a fantastic setup. Ride height was great, although I'd put a small spacer in the rear for sure.

Finally got around to eliminating the DRL capability after another bulb burned out.

Installed a GS Air Intake. I've read it doesn't do squat for perf...but the whoosh sound is a bit addicting i must say.

Finally got around to eliminating the DRL capability after another bulb burned out.

Installed a GS Air Intake. I've read it doesn't do squat for perf...but the whoosh sound is a bit addicting i must say.

Did you adjust your tune for the 12-15% increased airflow?

Did you adjust your tune for the 12-15% increased airflow?

I did get it retuned. I know top end was that big if a bump. Prob due to having a K&N filter in the OEM air box. Let me compare the dyno charts for what happened at mid-range.

Ok...good forcing function. Meant to do this when i got home Wednesday.

Attaching pics and a summary. Like i said, max output didn't buy me much...basically +5-6% MAX HP gain and nothing on torque. Biggest gains are at the bottom and top end.

Like i mentioned above, I had a K&N in the OEM airbox for the 'baseline' numbers. Also includes BNR 16G, GS TMIC, Cobb BOV, Cobb DP, Cobb fuel pump. Oh and an upgraded radiator. :lol:

Summary.PNG.a828488f79a941d0311d113b7e673e6a.PNG

Baseline.thumb.png.dade69f674bc490b92562b4e35953732.png

1902702539_Postairintake.thumb.png.563ff460b678efc50045e1bb03c1bf24.png

This is my thought. The engine was out and I'm thinking they had a jack under there for support at some point. I know it wasn't this way prior and there are no signs of impact. I will address it with the fellas at the shop.

Saw your post in the Tranny forum, did you have a chance to talk with them yet ?

I'm not a 5eat guy, but I think you may be ok, depends how close the filter is to that bend...

Worst case, pull the pan, hammer it flat, reinstall.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah Max, I stopped by the shop and had a chat with the guys. I am going to run it for a while and get the break in completed and when it goes in for a once over/oil change they will pull the pan and straighten it out. I very well could be wrong but I don't believe there is a filter in the pan.....it is in the fender well behind the battery. I have Idemitsu fluid on hand so we can sneak a drain/fill in there too so that's good.

Yeah Max, I stopped by the shop and had a chat with the guys. I am going to run it for a while and get the break in completed and when it goes in for a once over/oil change they will pull the pan and straighten it out. I very well could be wrong but I don't believe there is a filter in the pan.....it is in the fender well behind the battery. I have Idemitsu fluid on hand so we can sneak a drain/fill in there too so that's good.

There is a filter in the pan. Depending on the year it is either fine metal mesh or actual filter in rectangular plastic housing. Both are "lifetime" and thus not officially serviceable. Metal one can be cleaned and plastic one is replaceable.

This 5EAT is pretty much same unit as on our 07 Tribeca and I learned about the 5EAT filter from Tribeca forums. I bought the plastic one on Ebay as a thank you present to one of Subaru mechanics who helped me with EZ30 headgaskets replacement on our Tribeca. He owns 2009 Tribeca and his 09 had plastic cased filter.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Get some JDM HID headlights. They'll pay for themselves. I used to go through bulbs every 6 months with the OEM lights. I even had both of them burn out within a day of each other, resulting in no headlights.

I used the OEM HID bulbs my JDM lights came with. 7+ years later, I've never replaced a bulb. I have the lights on 100% of the time I drive my car too. They have literally paid for themselves at this point, way better light output too!

I haven't had time to put bunpers and such back on the car after paint yet. But I did flip the shields and install new clear lenses on a new set of hid headlights to replace my existing ones. I have connectors and pins in the mail for the wiring. I was going to reuse my current wiring but then thought the current lights would be easier to sell without messing with them. I also figure that I can sell my oem retrofitted (rx330 projectors) headlights too. I'm hoping to have this done in the next couple of weekends even though I won't take the car out with crummy weather.

Finally drove my car after about 2 weeks. Just installed a 6mt from a 15+ WRX. Legit direct bolt in. Only real modification was mounting the shifter. I will eventually make a separate thread with all of the pictures I've taken.

Welp, not myself actually, but had my work remove the blown up 5mt. I found an affordable 6mt swap and am half way done.. can't wait to drive it again!!!

affordable? :confused: what is the cost. I here 5500 is doing it right.

affordable? :confused: what is the cost. I here 5500 is doing it right.
So, this isn't the STi 6mt swap. It's the 6mt from a 15+ WRX. The trans cost me $1100 for a 55k mile unit. Another $215 for the complete shifter and cable assembly. $30 or so bux at the dealer for the shifter clips and attaching hardware for one cable(different end)

Excluding labor I'm in this swap for roughly under $1400. I didn't need to swap the rear end because the FD ratio was the same.