LegacyGT.com

Transmission Chain Guide issue 2020 Subaru Legacy XT

Manufacturer Safety recall issued

NHTSA #21V955000

Recall #WRK21 LEGACY CVT CHAIN GUIDE BREAKAGE

Description:

Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is initiating a new safety and emissions Recall for certain 2019 - 2020 model year Ascent vehicles, 2020 model year turbo Legacy vehicles, and 2020 model year turbo Outback vehicles in which the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) chain may slip and/or break.

Due to an improper program, the CVT chain may slip, resulting in breakage of the chain guide. If the chain guide breaks, fragments of the guide could inhibit the shift select mechanism. If the vehicle continues operation with the drive chain slipping, over time the CVT drive chain could break.

Remedy:

For all potentially affected vehicles, Subaru dealers will reprogram the TCU. The historical TCU data will be analyzed for chain slip characteristics and the chain guide will be visually inspected. If vehicles are confirmed to be experiencing drive chain slip or if the chain guide is damaged, the transmission assembly will be replaced. For each potentially affected vehicle, all remedy repairs necessary will be completed at no cost to the customer.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Following the links: Legacy (turbo models) - Production dates of July 15, 2019 – August 13, 2020

The status of this recall will display as “Open – Remedy Not Yet Available” until the special service tools

and reprogramming (PAK) files are available to support this recall.

Service, Parts, and Claim Instructions

Subaru is in the process of acquiring the special service tools and reprogramming (PAK) files for this

recall. Once they are available, additional information will be released and the WRK-21 Product

Campaign Bulletin will be published on STIS with detailed service and claim instructions.

• 4 weeks later...
Due to an improper program, the CVT chain may slip, resulting in breakage of the chain guide.

Wow ... we are seeing the future. Significant internal hardware damage resulting from defective software.

... the chain guide will be visually inspected.
That's going to be difficult to do without major disassembly of the CVT, since the Variator assembly is buried deep in the cases. Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Really??? That's almost 70,000 miles a year.

my bad that's 96k since 2008

recalls so far were fuel pump, transmission, control module reprogram

issues so far rattles, horrible temperature control, missing undercoating, underspray, huge gap where adjustable thigh support thing is, continually crashing head unit.

my bad that's 96k since 2008

recalls so far were fuel pump, transmission, control module reprogram

issues so far rattles, horrible temperature control, missing undercoating, underspray, huge gap where adjustable thigh support thing is, continually crashing head unit.

I remember my 05 GT had at least 2 recalls, one for an airbag and another for brakes. My 05 GT also had a lot more rattles than my 2020 XT. The 05 had rattles in the right front pillar, on the dash where the plastic screen meet the base, a squeaky front passenger seat. My 2020 has a rattle from the steering wheel, but I think I fixed that with a small piece of foam tape.

Regarding the temperature control, I read on the Outback forms, that you can have the dealer adjust the settings. I will try to post the link if I get a chance.

Regarding the crashing head unit, did you get the latest update (10/15/21)? That cured 99% of my crashes. I had only 1 crash since the update as opposed to once ever 2 weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

That's going to be difficult to do without major disassembly of the CVT, since the Variator assembly is buried deep in the cases.

if that's the case why would they have a visual inspection component. I guess they are going to rely Upolu software to tell them if there is an issue while is funny bc it's the software that caused the issue. I smell lifetime warranty.

That's going to be difficult to do without major disassembly of the CVT, since the Variator assembly is buried deep in the cases.

They are getting special inspection cameras. Goes in through the oil fill plug or something like that.

• 2 months later...
Anything new on this recall?
I work at a Subaru dealer, and this isn't even in stis to look for it, kind of strange they send a recall letter to us and then there's no remedy, or documentation about it

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

called Subaru. no updates. the recall line isn't owned by Subaru. farmed out and handles all recall phone traffic for most majors. so pointless calling them. for those who have an acting up car it's amazing the dealership has no info neither does Subaru.

what I was too is the Subaru dealership won't buy the car bc they can't sell it with an open recall. Subaru wants you to keep making payments vs them having an unsellable car. last Subaru I will own. been loyal since 1990.

• 2 months later...

89,000 miles on 2020 Legacy XT.  first transmission replaced at 62,000 miles, now with 89,000 miles the new transmission shows "slippage"  when undergo the subaru transmission recall test.  Transmission to be replace again. 

Does anyone know if there has been any improvement in the XT transmission.  supposedly Ascent  and legacy XT and outback XT . all have the same 2.4 L turbo engine, and the transmission is different than one in the normal 2.5 non-turbo engine/transmission. 

I thought the transmission was re-programmed when the new transmission was installed at 62,000 miles.  

Do I keep the car or dump it.  wanted a car to last 150-000 to 250,000 miles before facing a $10,000 transmission exchange.  not sure I want transmission that shows "slippage with 27,ooo miles on it.  The "failure" of first transmission  was on interstate driving to texas, when accelerating around truck on Interstate and when the tranmission tried to "shift" the transmission / engine shuddered, and RPM dropped 500 RPM,  next time it dit it RPM jumped 500 rpm/  very noticeable. 

I called subaru while on the highway thinking it was possibly the fuel pump failure. that we were waiting for parts. 

shuddering happened several times during 700 miles, and initially was when shifting in top "gears"  but even happened  at lower "shift points tower the end of the trip.  we accelerated very softly after this happened.  so it didn't happen every time we accelerated. but happened at least half a dozen times before we got back to Memphis area from Texas. 

This time We didn't notice the "slippage"  but sometimes as the "shifts" happened, it wasn't as noticeable, like the transmission was acting more like regular CVT without  "mimicking shifting" 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

There is a reprogram all ascent and xt cars get that are under the recall. Then the car is checked for slippage, then the chain guide is checked. If there is any slippage recorded the vehicle automatically gets a new trans. The issue was in the old programming.  The new reprogram takes care of any issues.

1 hour ago, subaru-tech said:

There is a reprogram all ascent and xt cars get that are under the recall. Then the car is checked for slippage, then the chain guide is checked. If there is any slippage recorded the vehicle automatically gets a new trans. The issue was in the old programming.  The new reprogram takes care of any issues.

Just curious if you would know if Legacys have been reported with the juddering and vibrations when turning under acceleration. My wife’s Outback XT just had its clutch pack assembly replaced for this, as well as many other OBs apparently, and I’m concerned that I might face this issue with my Legacy XT. Both of ours are 2020 XTs which are the ones with the problem  I saw the TSB and Legacys, Outbacks, and Ascents were listed but other than the Ascents and OBs I have not seen any posts from Legacy owners about this. 

• 6 months later...

original transmission replaced at about 64000 miles under 5yr/100K  extended warranty I had purchased when buying the car, for the $100 deductible.  apparently with exact same transmission that came on the car. That was before the recall. 

Since the vehicle's transmission had not been tested under the recall,  at 89000 miles, my service provider was about to move to new job and suggested they do the test under the recall, and later in the day, they called to say transmission was being replaced again.  the new transmission felt different, do not know if any difference in the transmission, or just in reprogramming.  I purchased 2023 Legacy sport in December of 22, and sold car to my son, with about 95,000 miles on the car,  telling him hopefully transmission would last at least 60,000 miles.  as of this date he has over 105,000 mi. on car and loves it.  the Legacy sport is missing some of the options of the 20 Legacy XT limited,that i miss, most notable the seating selector and adjusting everything when it recognized me upon entering the vehicle and no preset buttons for 2 drivers.  and other things i rarely used.  The dealership had the top of the line Legacy but it had baby crap Brown  interior that i would not accept, therefore 23 sport model now has the Turbo engine and can really earn name of "SPORT"  I like the interior, but with out Napa interior, but has comfortable seating materials. Pricing difference between Sport and  I absolutely purchased 5 yr 100K top of line extended warranty.  will see if the Transmission will hold out, if not time to move on to different make.  Transmission does "shift" a little jerky sometimes, and the turbo kicks in a little jumpy.  but now with over 17,000 miles nothing has been replaced.  Wish Subaru would invent a new light silver green color, like Porsche had back in late 70's  think it was ice green metallic.  If you don't like darker colors that show dirt, you are stuck with white and silver,  getting tied of same old color, and the eyesight and "helpful" driver assist is beginning to become annoying.  But you can't take your hands off the wheel and stop looking where you are going.  it loses the center line and edge of road line easily and can't cope with more than slight bends in roads, or knows what to do with transition between single lane and double, nor when right line disappears at intersections. 

Not ready for self driving car. nor electric,  as traveling salesman, I take 450 mile trips regularly.  electric would add hours to the trip. danger of brownouts