LegacyGT.com

What to replace 2011 LGT with

So I am considering replacing my beloved 2011 , and am still salty that Subaru discontinued the GT in the American market. For those of you who have or have considered a new ride, what are you all considering. I still need a top notch AWD and would like to keep similar power . The manual unfortunately is less of a priority since my non stick driving wife uses my car from time to time. Any thoughts?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was pleasantly surprised with the 6th Gen 3.6R. it's a nice riding car with decent handling, and when driven properly, it can be a rocket. It's no GT, but pretty damn close.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M - FB25 w/ a 6 speed

2002 Impreza 2.5TS - EJ251 w/ a 5 speed (The Stormtrooper)

Totally agree. The new Ford fusions have some nice tech in them and have some style appeal. The infiniti q50 would be a nice car as well. Guess you could move into a Audi S3, they're nice as well.

Your budget is going to play a factor into all of this too.

Totally agree. The new Ford fusions have some nice tech in them and have some style appeal. The infiniti q50 would be a nice car as well. Guess you could move into a Audi S3, they're nice as well.

Your budget is going to play a factor into all of this too.

Last year I spent a week driving a 2015 Fusion Titanium FWD (240hp/270tq). I was pleasantly surprised by the power it had. I was disappointed in the amount of wheel spin every stab at the throttle gave. Definitely worth giving a try in AWD form. However the rear seat was too small for me compared to the Legacy.

Maybe I'm paranoid but I don't trust Ford's reliability, especially not with AWD.

What he said.

Fords reliability is a long way away from Subaru. Nor would I trust a turbo Ford motor. ONLY 290 hp in a N/A v6 is pretty damn good to me. If you aren't street racing people or taking it to the track than it has plenty of power for around town and the ability to easily pass on the highway.

Since your looking for an automatic, you have many choices. Their are few in the Legacy GT at price point that have similar Power & AWD and at only a little bit high price point, their are whole bunch more luxury brands (they pretty much all make a AWD sedan around $40k)

If you were looking for a MT anywhere near the Legacy GT price point, you can buy either a WRX or your shit out of luck. I am still surprised that Legacy GT didn't sell better, it was the only MT in its class.

When the GS was announced years ago I was interested in the promise of 259hp/295tq, manual, and AWD. When it arrived the AWD was automatic only. Then I went and looked at one. The passenger space is closer to Impreza size than Legacy. I've got long legs and can't get situated in the driver seat without my legs hitting the steering wheel. And once I moved the seat back there was no legroom for a passenger to sit behind me.

For those that haven't seen it, here is a comparison of the GS to the LGT:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-comparison-tests/reviews/a17667/2012-buick-regal-gs-vs-2011-subaru-legacy-25gt/

With some tuning they turn into pretty incredible cars. For some luxury I wouldn't mind it being auto. Definitely like it more than an Audi A4. Now if the Audi is a wagon then you have my attention

That article was an interesting read. Looking at our cars objectively, it really does seem like the GT came stunted from the factory. It's like Subaru couldn't make up their mind between a sports sedan and a cushy luxury sedan, and ended up kind of muddled somewhere in the middle. I know it's all been said before, but a few minor changes could've seriously improved it's attractiveness and desirability to consumers, and may have even helped save the GT from its early extinction. Wider wheels from factory (maybe even 19" as well), the 13-14 suspension starting back in 2010, maybe a 0.5"-1" less ride height stock, more serious brakes. Not saying it's not, but it could've been even more of a serious, solid contender with high end sports sedans of the time.

And don't even get me started on if they had treated the 3.6 properly and given it a manual option. Could've brought so much more out of this engine and brought more attention to it in the process. One of the oddest decisions in my mind.

That article was an interesting read. Looking at our cars objectively, it really does seem like the GT came stunted from the factory. It's like Subaru couldn't make up their mind between a sports sedan and a cushy luxury sedan, and ended up kind of muddled somewhere in the middle. I know it's all been said before, but a few minor changes could've seriously improved it's attractiveness and desirability to consumers, and may have even helped save the GT from its early extinction. Wider wheels from factory (maybe even 19" as well), the 13-14 suspension starting back in 2010, maybe a 0.5"-1" less ride height stock, more serious brakes. Not saying it's not, but it could've been even more of a serious, solid contender with high end sports sedans of the time.

I understand that the GS has better brakes and tires than the Legacy, but I don't think the brakes & tires aren't that bad. Short of the STI Brembo's they are best brakes Subaru has off the shelf. The current WRX uses the same brakes. The stock tires are at least summer tires and not the all season tires that the rest of Legacy line up has. Even WRX and STI have tires that could be improved upon. That is just the way Subaru outfits their cars.

If Subaru hadn't discontinued the GT, the 13 and 14 models would have been a much better model from the factory with the stiffer 13/14 springs/struts. The transmission is notchy, but it doesn't both me, it part of the character of the car along with the boxer engine sound. The stock long throw shifter and the play it had bothered me. IMO the STI shifter accessory should have been standard for the GT models, though the magazine test car likely had the STS.

The article mentioned the Buick torque. The factory tune with 1st and 2nd gear boost limiter removed could have gone a long way in improving performance drivability. (So far the only GT I have test driven had the factory tune with the boost limiter, but that will change shortly :D.)

I don't think Subaru ever offered an h6 manual anywhere, and really it would have just hilighted the sedate nature of the 3.6 not the performance of it. And you would be even more limited with power mods, because you would get the same 6mt we did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Archived