LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Legacy - Suspension Mods

I can account for that with the springs I use. I can also use the 08+ STi rears to account for the lower perches on the 14+ WRX shock bodies.

The WRX rear shocks would change the height for a 5th gen Legacy. You would have to get the rear shocks machined 1/4" lower for the shock perch to rest on to match the lower front WRX struts perches.

Both of you....this is so wrong. The WRX rear shocks are identical to ours. If anything, you will need a 1/4" top hat spacer in the rear. Now if you start mixing and matching different model/chassis springs between the front and rear....who knows what you'll end up with.

Stick with the same model/chassis springs all the way around please.

Edited by GTEASER

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both of you....this is so wrong. The WRX rear shocks are identical to ours. If anything, you will need a 1/4" top hat spacer in the rear. Now if you start mixing and matching different model/chassis springs between the front and rear....who knows what you'll end up with.

Stick with the same model/chassis springs all the way around please.

Just to clarify, I use springs from a WRX with shocks from a WRX correct?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Stick with Legacy springs, whether stock or lowering, that way you know you have spring rates that match the Legacy's weight and chassis dynamics, AND a predictable ride height result ....and then stick with Legacy shocks and struts, except where we know that WRX stuff will work, like in the case of Konis. I would never try to run OEM WRX suspension on a Legacy chassis that is longer, wider, and heavier. You can do it because it will fit, but you will get unpredictable ride height results and compromised dynamics. Coilovers are a different story because of the adjustability.

I guess if you're not afraid to shim the ride height for springs that end up being too short, or trim those that are too long you could resort to choosing WRX springs that are stiffer than Legacy springs without too much risk. Been down that road. Both ways.

hmmmm . . . more is known about riot's phone than about his car . . .

Norm

I'm deciding against coilovers. I'd like to go with a softer spring and adjust my dampening. In your opinion, you think it's worth using the Group N top hats? I've read a lot of applications on STi's and WRX's and plenty of 09 Legacy's. Mixed reviews.

8936a68b3a397bfc9e8776b8eb39001a.jpg

I'm trying to solve a shuddering through the chassis every time I hit a bump or crack in the road. In NY that's often. Bushings I'm sure will take some of that out too.

I need to keep my stock suspension in one piece as. I'd like to utilize the outback 1" lift spacers with the factory suspension in the winter, that way I can switch them out modularly.

Edited by Running_riot

Root, assuming you're on stock suspension, and your car is a 2010-2012, the shudder is the damned floppy stock suspension. Get something stiffer and it will be cured. Skip the group-N hats, they will just I produce NVH on your crappy roads.

Root, assuming you're on stock suspension, and your car is a 2010-2012, the shudder is the damned floppy stock suspension. Get something stiffer and it will be cured. Skip the group-N hats, they will just I produce NVH on your crappy roads.

Right on. Our roads ARE indeed fabulously shit. OEM replacements it is.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I'm trying to solve a shuddering through the chassis every time I hit a bump or crack in the road. In NY that's often. Bushings I'm sure will take some of that out too.

I have this same issue. I've tried 4 different spring/shock combos over the past year and it's been there for all of them. this isn't the sole reason for swapping suspension bits, but I was hoping it would be remedied by it. unfortunately not.

after bitching about it in on the Facebook group this week, someone said shuddering is from worn front control arm bushings, as he had the same problem and this fixed it. kinda disappointing as the car only has 60k it, but I guess the rubber bushings could dry out after 6 years of Minnesota weather. even more frustrating is that multiple shops and mechanics said the bushings were fine, even though the rubber is starting to crack.

I ordered subie oem control arms with bushings and ball joints for $80el each. they should be here Monday and will go in next week sometime. I'll report back.

this has been driving me mad and is the main reason I've been thinking about selling the car. here's to rolling the dice....

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Edited by Bootyologist

neat, my quote is broken and you can't edit posts from Tapatalk... I was responding to running_riot's post about shuddering in the chassis.

Edit your post and put a "

" after it. You can edit in tapatalk, I do all the time.

neat, my quote is broken and you can't edit posts from Tapatalk... I was responding to running_riot's post about shuddering in the chassis.

I know the exact frustration you're going through. I have also almost brought myself to getting rid of the car for the very same reason. Please let us know how the new control arms work out. I'm at 50k and the Buffalo weather is much like your Minnesota weather and our roads are just as shit. If the new control arms solve the shuddering that would be fantastic as nothing would chap my ass more than dropping a grip on shocks springs and hats only to have the same issue remain.

I know the exact frustration you're going through. I have also almost brought myself to getting rid of the car for the very same reason. Please let us know how the new control arms work out. I'm at 50k and the Buffalo weather is much like your Minnesota weather and our roads are just as shit. If the new control arms solve the shuddering that would be fantastic as nothing would chap my ass more than dropping a grip on shocks springs and hats only to have the same issue remain.

My new arms/bushings are going in on Thursday. I'll report back. Sorry GTeaser, I know this is a sticky : /

So what's the word surfing bird?

Dude. Stop commenting nonsense in the sticky. I'm the one that has to clean this crap up and I've told you 10 times so far. Next time you get a time out.

Know what man? Don't bother. Thought forums were for exchange info. Then it's nah dude this is a sticky. So then we post somewhere else then you say there's already a thread for it. So tell you what. Go **** yourself. This forum may be the only place you get to exercise any authority so wield at. Self empowered **** knuckles like you ruin threads. So **** this forum and **** you.

When long time, contributing members are thanking my posts it's because they too wish to have some sort of order here on the boards, it's not because I'm flexing my manhood at you. Rearrange your attitude, try to foster some rapport with other members, follow along with the program, and you'll have a much more enjoyable time.

This is a thread to *find* information. What you're posting on here is noise, which makes it more difficult to find information. You can post stuff like that in any number of other threads. But not in the stickies.

Scroll down past the stickied threads, and then post whatever questions/comments/jokes/nonsense you want.

I guess control arm bushing questions shouldn't go in the 5th Gen suspension mods thread.

Your questions would go here. This is the suspension discussion thread.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-5th-generation-suspension-thread-163275.html

Again, this thread is a sticky thread. The only posts that should be here would be single posts documenting and giving install info for mods and parts that are confirmed to fit and work on our cars. See the Performance Sticky for instance, for some reason that thread has stayed pretty clean in its format and EASE OF FINDING INFORMATION.

AVO Caster Bushings (Front Lower Rear LCA Bushings)

+0.00 Caster - http://www.avoturboworld.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/129

+0.50 Caster - http://www.avoturboworld.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/128

Tool - http://www.avoturboworld.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/141

blklgt05 has been running these for the last 100k miles and several other members have installed them. AVO also makes a front LCA bushing but typically that is not recommended for the reason of a steep increased in NVH whan that hard bushing is installed.

Edited by GTEASER

Sway Bar Stiffness Chart

I know I posted this somewhere before, but I am sure it got lost along with all my other posted pics, so here it is again....shows very simply how much gain in stiffness there is in changing various sway bar sizes. Originally from the boys at Whiteline.....good info ;)

dyCMG6Y.thumb.jpg.73d5d76fbb87b748062c68bc313144d3.jpg

Edited by GTEASER