LegacyGT.com

Daniel Stern Lighting and Subaru headlight options

f1anatic

As, I am currently without my 2005 Subaru Legacy GT until around January due to needing an engine rebuild.. What's recommended to get a lot better visibility from the headlights? We have a 2014 Outback 2.5i which is FAR superior even with Sylvania Xtravision bulbs. Leave A LOT to be desired. Looking at options for after I get it back.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Retrofit. Just changing bulbs won't give you the output you want.

https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum/showoff/projector-retrofits/1460346-2009-subaru-legacy-hid-retrofit

If you don't want to retrofit (e.g. due to legal reasons), your best bet would be the Vosla from Daniel Stern. Note that in a projector the upgrade isn't as drastic as in a reflector housing (I threw a pair in a 2019 Hyundai i30, it should last a lot longer than XtremeVision/Nightbreaker haha).

So I’m looking to Retrofit my headlights and I have a list of most everything I’ll need but I’m unsure on the sizes. I’m looking to get a Diode Dynamics HD switchback halo kit but have no idea what size I’ll need as well as some new projector lenses. I’ll either get them custom etched by someone or see if I can do it myself otherwise, but there’s a lot of choices to look at on retrofit sources website and I don’t have enough knowledge to make heads or tails of it. I can say I’m trying to go for something with a similar look to this and most of the work I’ll be doing myself

96d3547fa7be63fb9f79fc0e48482cd8.jpg

But any info on sizes I need or where to find that info would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone tried these yet? They are quite a bit more than the Osram nightbreaker +150 or the phillips extreme vision. But $20 isn't much if they are good and last a bit.

I am running these bulbs in my headlights.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/febreze-mees-2-5i-limited-wagon-build-thread-281185.html

I cannot compare them to anything, but the factory bulb-output that came with our cars. These are superior to some of the 55w Sylvannias or whatever else I've used in the past. I do not have an in-depth review on them, but here are my thoughts and experiences:

I have driven in the dark country roads with these, and through the bright city/suburban streets. These are perfectly fine for driving around in the city. Drivers can see you just fine, and you light up the areas that aren't already lit by light poles, other drivers, etc.

In the country, it would seem as though the environment absorbs a lot of my light. And any chance I get, on a two-lane highway in the middle of nowhere, you better believe I'm using my high beams. These don't turn day into night. I don't have the confidence I would on these back roads at night as if I was using 6000k retrofits, but the difference in cost/time for me to use these Volsas vs. an HID retrofit is worth it. I don't drive on pitch black roads often enough for me to justify spending my time or money on retrofits. And when I do drive on these roads, I use my high beams which are sufficient enough.

All-in-all I am a fan of these bulbs for the output:cost. They do what I need them to do, and perform how I need them to. If you find majority of your evening driving on backroads, you will want a bulb or system that offers more. If you have time/money to burn, go for the retrofit.

Also, I never got back to you with those output photos. I took some, but they came out blurry. So next time I'm with the car, I will attempt to get some photos for you ;)

MILKRUN  - Click Here

So I’m looking to Retrofit my headlights and I have a list of most everything I’ll need but I’m unsure on the sizes. I’m looking to get a Diode Dynamics HD switchback halo kit but have no idea what size I’ll need as well as some new projector lenses. I’ll either get them custom etched by someone or see if I can do it myself otherwise, but there’s a lot of choices to look at on retrofit sources website and I don’t have enough knowledge to make heads or tails of it. I can say I’m trying to go for something with a similar look to this and most of the work I’ll be doing myself

96d3547fa7be63fb9f79fc0e48482cd8.jpg

But any info on sizes I need or where to find that info would be greatly appreciated

Refer to this thread for pictures:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/febreze-mees-2-5i-limited-wagon-build-thread-281185.html

Unfortunately, I don't have a build thread on them. I spent hours combing through threads on forums, google, and YouTube videos of other LGT's to figure out how to do it. So I do not have in-progress pictures.

An 80mm halo ring will do. And some 6-inch LED strips.

When mounting the rings and strips, just open up the housing, mock-up the rings and strips, mark your measurements, drill, mount, reseal.

I used a super small gauge wire to mount everything. I don't recall how small. I walked into a computer hardware store and asked for the smallest gauge wire. I didn't want to worry about JB Weld causing condensation, or falling apart after some time and seasons.

I wasn't the biggest fan at first, but they grew on me. Now I do really like them. And I get compliments from others anywhere I go, so others like them too yayy!

*It should be noted that the photos I have of mine, and any I've come across online, don't do the halos or strips justice. In some photos my headlights are outright scratched/dirty. My photos were not edited for light aperture or anything, so they appear bulky and blurry in some/most photos. They are actually quite crisp and it is hard for me to capture that through my phone.*

Edited by Febreze Mee

MILKRUN  - Click Here

I am running these bulbs in my headlights.

I cannot compare them to anything, but the factory bulb-output that came with our cars. These are superior to some of the 55w Sylvannias or whatever else I've used in the past. I do not have an in-depth review on them, but here are my thoughts and experiences:

I have driven in the dark country roads with these, and through the bright city/suburban streets. These are perfectly fine for driving around in the city. Drivers can see you just fine, and you light up the areas that aren't already lit by light poles, other drivers, etc.

In the country, it would seem as though the environment absorbs a lot of my light. And any chance I get, on a two-lane highway in the middle of nowhere, you better believe I'm using my high beams. These don't turn day into night. I don't have the confidence I would on these back roads at night as if I was using 6000k retrofits, but the difference in cost/time for me to use these Volsas vs. an HID retrofit is worth it. I don't drive on pitch black roads often enough for me to justify spending my time or money on retrofits. And when I do drive on these roads, I use my high beams which are sufficient enough.

All-in-all I am a fan of these bulbs for the output:cost. They do what I need them to do, and perform how I need them to. If you find majority of your evening driving on backroads, you will want a bulb or system that offers more. If you have time/money to burn, go for the retrofit.

Also, I never got back to you with those output photos. I took some, but they came out blurry. So next time I'm with the car, I will attempt to get some photos for you ;)

I totally forgot we talked about these. Yea I'd like to do a retrofit, but I'll need new housings first since mine are a bit damaged I've found and won't have money for all that soon. Plan is to polish and replace bulbs for now. Thanks for the review.

I totally forgot we talked about these. Yea I'd like to do a retrofit, but I'll need new housings first since mine are a bit damaged I've found and won't have money for all that soon. Plan is to polish and replace bulbs for now. Thanks for the review.

This thread is the way to go for a proper polish:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/headlight-restoration-guide-201687.html

If you have a different way of doing it, or prefer a less intense route, then there's always that too.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

• 3 months later...
Has anyone tried these yet? They are quite a bit more than the Osram nightbreaker +150 or the phillips extreme vision. But $20 isn't much if they are good and last a bit.

Just saw this link in another thread, scroll down to the H7.

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Refer to this thread for pictures:

Unfortunately, I don't have a build thread on them. I spent hours combing through threads on forums, google, and YouTube videos of other LGT's to figure out how to do it. So I do not have in-progress pictures.

An 80mm halo ring will do. And some 6-inch LED strips.

When mounting the rings and strips, just open up the housing, mock-up the rings and strips, mark your measurements, drill, mount, reseal.

I used a super small gauge wire to mount everything. I don't recall how small. I walked into a computer hardware store and asked for the smallest gauge wire. I didn't want to worry about JB Weld causing condensation, or falling apart after some time and seasons.

I wasn't the biggest fan at first, but they grew on me. Now I do really like them. And I get compliments from others anywhere I go, so others like them too yayy!

*It should be noted that the photos I have of mine, and any I've come across online, don't do the halos or strips justice. In some photos my headlights are outright scratched/dirty. My photos were not edited for light aperture or anything, so they appear bulky and blurry in some/most photos. They are actually quite crisp and it is hard for me to capture that through my phone.*

Thanks for the reply, my feed didn’t update a response to this for whatever reason, so I just noticed it. I ended up figuring it out. Got everything I needed just about from TRS since they’re only like 45mins away from me. Went with so Morimoto Mini-h1 projectors clear honeycomb etch lenses, Profile Prism demon eyes, 80mm profile prism RGB halos, Morimoto LED turn signals, Morimoto 2-stroke 5500k high beams, 6500k low beams. Painted the housings myself with gloss black paint removed the extra amber lensing on the blinkers and blacked out the chrome housing of the blinkers so the white leds wouldn’t be too bright. Took awhile to put it all together but I’m pretty happy with how they turned out. I ended up just using fishing line and gorilla glue to secure the halos [emoji23][emoji28]

5ecd6ac21b10bf540e91dfeef3067737.jpg

Edited by EmptySpartan89

• 3 weeks later...
It is a little undertaking that has a lot to gain from. Congrats! And you did the retrofit. Are you happy with the output?

Thanks! I did do the retrofit, the output is fantastic. When I turn of the high beams since I have a bi xenon set up both the lows and the highs come on and it’s like driving during the day lol. The only downside I’ve had with the retrofit is with the rgb halos and demon eyes, the out put is good but when the halos are on you can’t really see the demon eyes. Other than that it’s fantastic.

• 3 months later...

Over the weekend I tried to place an order on Candlepower.com using a Mastercard, but the order kept getting rejected. On Sunday I saw the pending charge for the two attempts that I tried to place the order.

I checked the mastercard account today and both those were no longer showing.

I called Kenny at Candlepower, got his voice mail, he just called me back and said for some reason they were having issues with Mastercard orders. They were checking into it. I use a Visa card while on the phone with him and the order went through.

Great customer service. Very pleasant guy to talk too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 3 months later...
Over the weekend I tried to place an order on Candlepower.com using a Mastercard, but the order kept getting rejected. On Sunday I saw the pending charge for the two attempts that I tried to place the order.

I checked the mastercard account today and both those were no longer showing.

I called Kenny at Candlepower, got his voice mail, he just called me back and said for some reason they were having issues with Mastercard orders. They were checking into it. I use a Visa card while on the phone with him and the order went through.

Great customer service. Very pleasant guy to talk too.

Very correct on all comments on Candlepower. Kenny is very helpful and knows his stuff....he's been there a long time.

• 1 month later...
Ordered 4 of the 65w H7 bulbs from Daniel Stern, I also ordered a set of the new Philips Xtreme Vision +150%.

I have a LUX meter and will be comparing the two.

Did you use the candlepower.us site (which seems to be empty of products now) or contact Daniel Stern directly? One of my low beams went out so I need new bulbs.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

That's the product page to order from. I have not yet contacted him, but I think you should have no problem using his services.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

That's the product page to order from. I have not yet contacted him, but I think you should have no problem using his services.

Yea I got a set of lows and a set of hir bulbs for highs. He's old school and wants you to send an email and stuff but it's easy enough.

• 4 months later...
Oh no! Unfortunately Kenny passed away right after taking over candlepower.

That's a shame - looks like a new company bought out the site though:cool:

Memotronics - Candlepower

They carry Vosla bulbs - both H11 & HIR2 as well for what seems like cheap pricing:p

• 6 months later...