LegacyGT.com

05 LGT lim. burning excessive oil?!?

hi all.

after searching, I've come to find that these motors definitely 'use' oil, but how much is normal, and how much is too much?

I did an oil change less than a month ago. Mobil 1 5-30, new mobil 1 filter (not typically my preference, but it came with the oil). My wife drove it to Texas and back. yesterday, I noticed the red oil light come on for low pressure. it just flashed, it didn't stay on, but it was enough for me to want to check the oil level. not puffing blue smoke at all (or any smoke at all for that matter); no leaks to speak of, no oil puddle on my driveway. the oil was 3 quarts low!!! yeah, like moments away from being seized low.

any thoughts as to what might be causing this? no reduced power from what I can tell. still sounds like pretty strong compression (no I haven't ventured to run a check yet), no smoke, no leaks.

edit: 3250 miles since last oil change.

It's a good idea to check the oil level at least every other time you fill the gas tank. You can't go by the oil pressure light, it won't alert you until you are in the danger zone.

If your turbo has high miles, you can be losing oil past the seals. Going high speeds for long distances, frequent engine braking, full throttle acceleration, bad PCV are some things that can bring about higher oil consumption. Bad rings, too, of course, but it doesn't sound like your car has that issue.

good to know. what is the preffered oil?

no engine braking, I have the 5EAT. I don't abuse the car and neither does my wife (she claims it's her car). I doubt it's the turbo seals since there's no smoke to speak of -- no catch can either so any blow by coming from the turbo is either getting stuck in the mishimoto TMIC, or getting consumed by the engine. same for the rings. seriously doubt that's the cause. I'll check in to the PCV though. that's one I hadn't considered. yet

thanks

Rotella and Motul will be the hypetrain leaders

I like Pennzoil myself

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

thanks for the insight. I wont make that mistake again. I'll roll with Castrol Syn next. Should I stick with the 5-30? or go with something a bit more viscous? I'm in Colorado and winter is coming (pun intended), so not too sure if I want to venture in to the 10-40 range.

If you have the original turbo at 195K, it is past time for a rebuild or a new one. You can have oil getting past the seals without leaving visible smoke trails. Your catalytic converter(s) can prevent it.

Also, I plan on putting in an aftermarket up-pipe to replace the stocker with the cat in it. If the turbo truly is on its way out, this should help reveal that issue. also debating if I want to replace the downpipe and go catless to mate up to the Borla. i'll need a tune after that, though.

I was under the impression that the stock UP is problematic for the turbos. something like baffle material or fragments from the cat get sucked up into the turbo and destroy it. that's why I want to swap it out for either an aftermarket version or the STi one. as a previous poster mentioned, if the cat is hiding the smoke from the blow-by, deleting that cat may yield some smoke out of the exhaust. that's what I was referring to.

I was under the impression that the stock UP is problematic for the turbos. something like baffle material or fragments from the cat get sucked up into the turbo and destroy it. that's why I want to swap it out for either an aftermarket version or the STi one. as a previous poster mentioned, if the cat is hiding the smoke from the blow-by, deleting that cat may yield some smoke out of the exhaust. that's what I was referring to.
You have to remove the downpipe anyway to do the uppipe replacement. It's like a jigsaw puzzle in there.

Archived