LegacyGT.com

EGR tube

So somehow I managed to bust a hole in my EGR tube...

Its a little smaller than a dime I'd say, also I have a 1999 legacy gt.

First of all is it okay to drive around town for a bit until I can get this fixed?

Second, any ideas where to get this part for cheap? I found a few potential candidates on ebay like this one, would it work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EGR-TUBE-2003-SUBARU-FORESTER-2-5-/142009644009?hash=item21106f33e9:g:QL4AAOSwE7RXFuGF&vxp=mtr

Also any tips to replace this thing would be great, it's in a tricky spot.

Hi,

IF YOU'RE IN THE US, that tube may be specific to the '96-'99 DOHC EJ25D model engine. The ebay link is for an '03 SOHC. I don't know if the '95-'98 EJ22e SOHC will work either...Google on that.

You can buy some 'muffler tape' which might work on the EGR tube. You might get enough exhaust into the cabin to be bothersome, so drive w/the windows down?

Call a dealer, local salvage/wrecking/used parts yard, Craigslist part-outs, and look for ads on the numerous Subie forums for a Part Out.

You can get those hoses pretty easily in most junkyards. The only differences I can think of is the length difference from SOHC to DOHC, as in, I think the hose will be longer if it's DOHC than if it's SOHC, but the threads and fittings should be the same.

Any potential loss of performance if I just find some suitable tape or temporary cover and slap it on there?

Exhaust coming out hopefully won't kill me, and as long as the engine doesn't care then i'll go that route for now

The EGR only opens when cruising on the highway so if you are just going around town, a tape fix should be fine. If the 2.5 and 2.2 have the same hose, I think I have a spare one around here somewhere I can ship you if you don't have any luck tracking one down locally

Archived