LegacyGT.com

2.5i pcv question

I totally dropped the ball on replacing pcv valve on our '09 Legacy. At 165k miles it was a pita to remove. As I was trying

to wrench it out I noticed the valve housing with a side hose connected to it that goes to the intake manifold was turning with it. It was a no go after few tries but to my surprise it came out of the block with the valve still in it. Popped it in a vice, got the old one out, teflon taped threads on the new one and screwed it in.

Two questions-

1. I didn't see any sealant residue on the lower part of valve housing that goes in the block. It's not threaded, smooth shaft that kinda just goes in (that's what she said) and rotates freely by hand. Should I be concerned about vacuum leak in this area and maybe use teflon tape on it?

2. I'm getting conflicting info on part numbers for intake manifold hose to side of pcv housing and hose that goes from intake chamber to pcv valve. If someone could confirm those two that would be awesome. It's all brittle as you can imagine at this mileage.

I hope all this rambling makes sense haha and thanks for any input.

Cheers!

M

I'm kinda confused about what you removed. This is the pcv valve that threads down into the block. From what I remember, the factory service manual says to put a little sealant on the threads, I used some permatex black rtv I had lying around.

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2009_Legacy-25L-5MT-4WD-Sedan/PCV-Valve/49223691/11810AA100.html

This is the hose that goes from the pcv valve to the metal intake manifold nipple

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2009_Legacy-25L-5MT-4WD-Sedan/Hose-Vacuum/49322418/99071AD250.html

The thing in the image below is some random other part, not the pcv valve

https://i.redd.it/j3v4vebwxx401.jpg

In my case pcv doesn't thread directly into the block. It threads into a small housing that pops into the block.It's not threaded it just pops in there. Should've taken pictures...

That's the other hose I believe, kinda pricey but it is what it is.

https://www.ebay.com/i/192597728856?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=192597728856&targetid=935065066227&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=9017300&poi=&campaignid=10897980375&mkgroupid=114065836464&rlsatarget=pla-935065066227&abcId=9300403&merchantid=101509763&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxMKD0IHf7AIVksDACh2yuQv3EAQYCyABEgL1NPD_BwE

Edited by m_dogg

I've never removed the hose that I think you removed, outlined in yellow below. I've disconnected that white plug to remove the airbox, that's it.

The pcv valve threads into the block, and has a red box around it in the first picture below.

Pics stolen from this link

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3619336&postcount=50

stuff.jpg.edd2f59b46cdc82ac031522d9c88f356.jpg

pcv.thumb.jpg.ff864a9cdbbbc4b365d8eea70be81c3e.jpg

I'll have it apart when I get new hoses, will show what I mean but my pcv threads into the removable housing (unless it popped off and wasn't supposed to) that slides into the block. Didn't see any spot welds or anything like that holding it in place.

I hope that makes more sense now. Both hoses replaced, one cracked pretty bad other was on its way out. Anyways, I've put some RTV where the housing mounts into the block so I can sleep at night haha.

DfcUPLr.jpg

o6NfdWZ.jpg

Bbbvn4M.jpg

I hope that makes more sense now. Both hoses replaced, one cracked pretty bad other was on its way out. Anyways, I've put some RTV where the housing mounts into the block so I can sleep at night haha.

Thanks for the pics, I completely understand now. I was 100% wrong about the pcv valve threading directly into the block. I've pulled my pcv valve like 5-6 times or so in the last 11 years to clean or replace it (when I get bored I fiddle with my car), and I've never actually noticed that piece that it threads into, with the other metal hose piece coming off of it.

I would have no idea what to put on that to be honest, I probably would've done RTV too for the time being. And it it held fine and didn't leak, I'd probably just leave it with rtv.

Yeah, I don’t think that is supposed to come out. :lol:

But I guess it happens.

Me either, it definitely was an oops moment haha

Thanks for the pics, I completely understand now. I was 100% wrong about the pcv valve threading directly into the block. I've pulled my pcv valve like 5-6 times or so in the last 11 years to clean or replace it (when I get bored I fiddle with my car), and I've never actually noticed that piece that it threads into, with the other metal hose piece coming off of it.

I would have no idea what to put on that to be honest, I probably would've done RTV too for the time being. And it it held fine and didn't leak, I'd probably just leave it with rtv.

Yeah...I dropped the ball on this BIG TIME. Not sure how I overlooked it, on our other car I'm on top of it

Oh just to be clear I wasn't knocking you at all for not replacing or cleaning it, more making fun of myself for doing that job multiple times and never noticing that extra piece that it threads into.