LegacyGT.com

rebuilding in Canada

Hi,

I'm planning to do a pre-emptive rebuild and was wondering if I can get some advice.

For the short block, I'm planning to just order a stock type RA block. I will import this because Subaru Canada won't sell a new short block. I spoke to a few dealers and they indicate that they only exchange rebuilt blocks and save the new ones for warranty work. For those who have shipped a block to Canada, any issues with Fedex mangling the delivery? Are the blocks generally well packaged?

For the heads, I'm debating if I should simply order new castings and valves as needed. The issue I'm facing is that I don't have access to a good machine shop locally, and the cost of shipping the heads two ways will be more than half the cost of new castings.

For the guys who have done this before, could you advise if the valves are selective fit to the guides or can I just order new valves and new head castings and only need to deal with lapping and lashing the valves. I was also wondering how often used heads have cracks that make them unsuitable for rebuilding. I'll be using B25 heads.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I'm planning to do a pre-emptive rebuild and was wondering if I can get some advice.

For the short block, I'm planning to just order a stock type RA block. I will import this because Subaru Canada won't sell a new short block. I spoke to a few dealers and they indicate that they only exchange rebuilt blocks and save the new ones for warranty work. For those who have shipped a block to Canada, any issues with Fedex mangling the delivery? Are the blocks generally well packaged?

For the heads, I'm debating if I should simply order new castings and valves as needed. The issue I'm facing is that I don't have access to a good machine shop locally, and the cost of shipping the heads two ways will be more than half the cost of new castings.

For the guys who have done this before, could you advise if the valves are selective fit to the guides or can I just order new valves and new head castings and only need to deal with lapping and lashing the valves. I was also wondering how often used heads have cracks that make them unsuitable for rebuilding. I'll be using B25 heads.

Thanks in advance

Why don't you just order your short block and have it shipped. I got free shipping and it came in a box from FedEx. I recommend ordering from flatirons tuning.

or you could buy a long block and get the heads /preinstalled?

That option is a lot of money. When I bought my Type RA short block I paid $1,840 plus shipping. When I looked at that option used long blocks were going for $4k from a dismantler and then imagine getting one from a builder. For the OP do what best works for you buddy.