LegacyGT.com

cvt transmission replacement

I believe my cvt is going out. It works still but is making some pretty ugly noises. I was wondering if replacing a cvt is similar to replacing an auto trans? Or if there is more involved that could be more trouble than it's worth. I understand refilling the cvt fluid is more involved than a regular auto, but I think I heard something about having to get it reprogrammed or something also.

Also would it be easier to pull the engine and trans thought the engine bay, or just pull the trans through bottom of car.

A replacement will cost $5,000+. Someone had a similiar situation a few months back and a Subaru Tech said it would cost $7,000 for them. Realistically you'd be better off getting a different vehicle. How many miles does your 2013 have?

Yeah that's what I'm thinking is just getting a different car. The problem is aside from the trans I like this car. I've swapped a legacy engine before so I was thinking technically it can't be a ton harder but I have a feeling there's some extra bs required replacing a cvt. My cars at 160,000

Yeah that's what I'm thinking is just getting a different car. The problem is aside from the trans I like this car. I've swapped a legacy engine before so I was thinking technically it can't be a ton harder but I have a feeling there's some extra bs required replacing a cvt. My cars at 160,000

I'm not sure what the difficulty is when it comes to swapping a CVT, but I know it's super expensive. You can only really get a new CVT from the aftermarket as far as I know, but once again you'll be paying the same price as a used car in decent shape...

the cost doesn't come from any additional difficulty, it's actually pretty easy to rip these transmissions out. the issue is that nobody rebuilds the CVTs due to lack of available parts, so you're stuck with buying new, and they are....not cheap. since CVT failure is relatively common, the used units are in high demand, so they're priced accordingly--$1500-2k from online wreckers. compare that to known good transmissions, the 2013 civic for instance, and their transmissions are as low as $150.

the problem with going used, however, is in 6 months you could very well have another expensive paperweight and find yourself right back in that hole. maybe you get lucky and find one with decent miles and you can eke another few years out of it, but it seems that with time these things are just going to go. lifetime fluids are bullshit.

That makes sense. There really not much info out there on the process but the one video I found. The replacement cvt the guy used turned out to be a dud with the same issue so he was back to square one and I'm not about to go through that. Its too bad they're making cars like this now and they don't offer at least an auto, let alone manual. These newer legacy's would be amazing with a manual trans option since the FB engine has been dependable for me it still runs as smooth as the day I got it aside from the cvt

Agreed. If I end up getting this Acura TL I put a deposit on, I plan on having the transmission fluid changed every 30,000 miles.

3rd gen? get honda OEM fluid and do it yourself, honda transmissions are finicky with what fluid they use. you can probably do it without even jacking up the car--should be a drain plug on the bottom and a fill plug up top, just drain out the 3 quarts that comes out, and do it in a reasonable time frame. after doing 3 flushes i'll be doing mine every 15k miles. 12 quarts of fluid is $100 on amazon--cheap and easy.

3rd gen? get honda OEM fluid and do it yourself, honda transmissions are finicky with what fluid they use. you can probably do it without even jacking up the car--should be a drain plug on the bottom and a fill plug up top, just drain out the 3 quarts that comes out, and do it in a reasonable time frame. after doing 3 flushes i'll be doing mine every 15k miles. 12 quarts of fluid is $100 on amazon--cheap and easy.

It's a 2011 TL 3.5 with the Tech package, so it's a 4th gen, and yah I would only use Honda Fluid.

It's a 2011 TL 3.5 with the Tech package, so it's a 4th gen, and yah I would only use Honda Fluid.

What color/how many miles? We live in the same area and friend of mine trade his 2011 in a couple months ago at the 1st sign of the transmission giving him issues.

I believe my cvt is going out. It works still but is making some pretty ugly noises. I was wondering if replacing a cvt is similar to replacing an auto trans? Or if there is more involved that could be more trouble than it's worth. I understand refilling the cvt fluid is more involved than a regular auto, but I think I heard something about having to get it reprogrammed or something also.

Also would it be easier to pull the engine and trans thought the engine bay, or just pull the trans through bottom of car.

What type of noise is it making?

The side 'engine' mounts are on the CVT which make it unique and likely 2013/2014 Legacy CVT fit (This is how it is with the 6MT, only 5th Gen's fit). As a result, if you pull the CVT, you have to support the engine. I would think you would only want to pull the CVT. Removing the engine does not really buy you anything, besides more labor.

What type of noise is it making?

The side 'engine' mounts are on the CVT which make it unique and likely 2013/2014 Legacy CVT fit (This is how it is with the 6MT, only 5th Gen's fit). As a result, if you pull the CVT, you have to support the engine. I would think you would only want to pull the CVT. Removing the engine does not really buy you anything, besides more labor.

The sound is reminiscent of a really bad wheel bearing drone mixed with a modulating whine that goes from low to high pitch depending on rpm and speed. At slow speeds there will be a sort of flapping sound kind of like if driving on a flat tire. There's also a bit of a diesel engine machine or tractor sound there too. It will sound bad enough where it seems like the cars going to just give out.

I thought maybe wheel bearings but there is absolutely no play in those also my tires are good. I've though about the differential but I don't think it would make that strange modulating sound

the cost doesn't come from any additional difficulty, it's actually pretty easy to rip these transmissions out. the issue is that nobody rebuilds the CVTs due to lack of available parts, so you're stuck with buying new, and they are....not cheap. since CVT failure is relatively common, the used units are in high demand, so they're priced accordingly--$1500-2k from online wreckers. compare that to known good transmissions, the 2013 civic for instance, and their transmissions are as low as $150.

the problem with going used, however, is in 6 months you could very well have another expensive paperweight and find yourself right back in that hole. maybe you get lucky and find one with decent miles and you can eke another few years out of it, but it seems that with time these things are just going to go. lifetime fluids are bullshit.

It is not a lifetime fluid. And severe driving requires changing it more often, every 15k miles I believe. Which is pretty much anyone not doing all highway driving. Read your owners manual, it's all in there. And whatever you do, don't believe the service advisor at the dealership or the salesman.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It is not a lifetime fluid. And severe driving requires changing it more often, every 15k miles I believe. Which is pretty much anyone not doing all highway driving. Read your owners manual, it's all in there. And whatever you do, don't believe the service advisor at the dealership or the salesman.

i'll readily admit i don't know the service schedule for CVTs, i don't own one and will not own one. but, i know a lot of manufacturers *are* calling it lifetime fluids and *that* is bullshit.

The sound is reminiscent of a really bad wheel bearing drone mixed with a modulating whine that goes from low to high pitch depending on rpm and speed. At slow speeds there will be a sort of flapping sound kind of like if driving on a flat tire. There's also a bit of a diesel engine machine or tractor sound there too. It will sound bad enough where it seems like the cars going to just give out.

I thought maybe wheel bearings but there is absolutely no play in those also my tires are good. I've though about the differential but I don't think it would make that strange modulating sound

Do your tires all have even wear? AWD clutches from mismatched tire (ie replaced 2 worn tires or one tire from a flat) can make some horrible sounds.

You might want to make sure it isn't something like the wheel bearing. My friend bought a 2011 2.5i 6MT to flip. He towed it home. Once he registered and drove it, he described it sounded horrendous. The wheels didn't seem loose and he thought it might be something in the transfer case. He put it on his lift, put it in gear and it was clearly one of the rear bearings.

i'll readily admit i don't know the service schedule for CVTs, i don't own one and will not own one. but, i know a lot of manufacturers *are* calling it lifetime fluids and *that* is bullshit.
We have an ascent with the ht-CVT and the fluid is not lifetime, but one dealer, my local one, insisted the CVT fluid was good for 100k miles. We tow with ours, so I contacted the dealer we bought from and their service advisor told me to have it changed at 24k miles which is the interval we are going to use. Otherwise no complaints besides the rubbery feeling shifts.

I tend to hear "It's for the life of the transmission". Subaru never really did clearly say when to change the fluid on CVTs...

Do your tires all have even wear? AWD clutches from mismatched tire (ie replaced 2 worn tires or one tire from a flat) can make some horrible sounds.

You might want to make sure it isn't something like the wheel bearing. My friend bought a 2011 2.5i 6MT to flip. He towed it home. Once he registered and drove it, he described it sounded horrendous. The wheels didn't seem loose and he thought it might be something in the transfer case. He put it on his lift, put it in gear and it was clearly one of the rear bearings.

I've always had matching tires and rotated them consistantly and they wear evenly. Yeah I'll have to have a professional check it out before I make any big decisions the transmission does still work well, soiit could be a wheel bearing still.

I tend to hear "It's for the life of the transmission". Subaru never really did clearly say when to change the fluid on CVTs...
Not true, the fluid is due for changing every 15k miles for severe duty and inspection every 30k I believe. So if that schedule is followed the fluid will determine the change interval when inspected.

Maintenance interval may vary by model year. My 2011 warranty/maintenance manual specifies inspect CVT fluid every 30k miles and for severe driving conditions replace every 24,855 miles.

I think 2012 is the same way. 24,855 is every 40,000 km, I don't know why they don't round it up to 25,000 miles