LegacyGT.com

engine rattle at 2500-ish rpm... thoughts?

Well, no love from Subaru for the 5th gen, I guess.

First response I got for the class action suit was that the car wasn't a WRX/STi (I had pointed out that our car is not listed in the excluded vehicles (nor is the Forester XT with the EJ25, either...) - they let you appeal, so I replied, providing more information showing that the part numbers for the engine internals in question found in the Legacy 2.5GT were the same as the WRX and STi in the suit - the crankshaft (p/n 12200AA610) is shared with the 2012-2017 WRX, 2012-2017 STi, the connecting rods (12100AA181) are shared with the 2012-2014 WRX, the crankshaft and main bearing set (12209AA360) is shared with the 2012-2017 WRX and 2012-2017 STi, the connecting rod bearing set (12100AB030) is shared with the 2012-2014 WRX and 2012-2017 STi, and the oil pump (15010AA360) is shared with the 2012-2017 STi, along with much more.

Response was essentially that they received my appeal, but the car wasn't a WRX or STi, so no dice. Really sucked to be out thousands of dollars to keep driving a car that was meticulously maintained, and which the manufacturer is already in hot water over issues with that engine for the failure that happened in my car (and a few others...). stinks.

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well - 10k miles since the spun bearing, so decided to do an oil analysis, which came back great. I've been running Castrol Edge 5W30 with Subaru filters, with no noticeable oil loss between changes. This was my 4th change with Castrol since the short block (it had the Subaru oil in it from when it was replaced to my first change). One things for sure since the change, I am hyper sensitive to every little click, clack, and rattle the engine makes... I was relieved to see good oil results (image below is cropped down to my analysis and the universal averages they provided - their assessment was

Thanks for noting the previous spun bearing and subsequent short block replacement. It looks like the bearings are getting along great these days - the low aluminum level points to healthy wear at bearings and pistons (both of which are aluminum). Not to be outdone, steel parts (iron) and brass/bronze parts (copper) are also producing levels of wear compared to universal averages, which show typical wear for this type of 2.5L engine after ~3,700 miles on the oil. The trace of insolubles points to an oil filter doing its job right. Looks like a nice engine to us!

Capture.thumb.JPG.4645cc29ed8d2c4984fa436474045509.JPG