LegacyGT.com

Difference between Subaru post scan and parts store scan?

This is a follow up to my A/C condensate flood on my vacation trip. Insurance estimate has money to to remove/reinstall carpet and a "post scan" which is $110 on the estimate. I'm going to my local Subie dealer to get a new radio amp, as it was submerged. I had a lot of warning lights a week ago for ABS, Eyesight, traction control, but they've all gone out now that the car is dry.

How does this dealer post scan differ from that which is offered for free by the parts store chains?

This is a follow up to my A/C condensate flood on my vacation trip. Insurance estimate has money to to remove/reinstall carpet and a "post scan" which is $110 on the estimate. I'm going to my local Subie dealer to get a new radio amp, as it was submerged. I had a lot of warning lights a week ago for ABS, Eyesight, traction control, but they've all gone out now that the car is dry.

How does this dealer post scan differ from that which is offered for free by the parts store chains?

I would think that the scans you get from an auto parts store only covers the basics (aka reading what the code means and that's it). The ones at dealers tend to be more expensive and they can usually access all the data you could ever imagine (fuel trim, bank 1, bank 2, etc).

They are 100% different things. A 'post repair' scan is all systems and modules in the car, It will require SSM3 or 4 or a very high end scan tool. The parts store scan is only the PCM and maybe the TCM. The $110 is based on a 3rd party company like Astech doing the scan for a bodyshop after a collision repair. https://astech.com/ if you are interested in reading about them

The scan is exactly that, post repair, it does not include calibration (of eyesight) or repairs if any issues are found. Its simply making sure the car has no latent defects in its systems prior to its delivery to the customer.

Since you had multiple safety system codes set, I would have the dealer do it to make sure there are no latent issues. Just because the lights went out, doesn't mean there wont be issues down the road.

For example - the air bag occupancy sensor is part of the passenger seat and the wiring runs under it. Odds are your airbag light was a sensor short due to the plug being submerged. Unless they see that code, they may not check the plug and harness for water/corrosion forming. Once the green crusties start you may be in for more issues.

Edited by poconoracing

They are 100% different things. A 'post repair' scan is all systems and modules in the car, It will require SSM3 or 4 or a very high end scan tool. The parts store scan is only the PCM and maybe the TCM. The $110 is based on a 3rd party company like Astech doing the scan for a bodyshop after a collision repair. https://astech.com/ if you are interested in reading about them

The scan is exactly that, post repair, it does not include calibration (of eyesight) or repairs if any issues are found. Its simply making sure the car has no latent defects in its systems prior to its delivery to the customer.

Since you had multiple safety system codes set, I would have the dealer do it to make sure there are no latent issues. Just because the lights went out, doesn't mean there wont be issues down the road.

For example - the air bag occupancy sensor is part of the passenger seat and the wiring runs under it. Odds are your airbag light was a sensor short due to the plug being submerged. Unless they see that code, they may not check the plug and harness for water/corrosion forming. Once the green crusties start you may be in for more issues.

Thanks, that is a great answer.

FYI, I have 2 nearby dealers. Called the closest one. the service rep seemed stressed, noting they have "skeleton crew". Took a drive by, they are under major construction, and appeared that service was working on Sunday in small space. Next one (Bowser) said "come on down". However, service writer there did not recognize the term "post scan", but told me diagnostic scan cost $115. I'll go there tomorrow, the body shop guy seems sharp, and he is the contact with the insurance company.