LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 5th gen today?? -V4

When does one need to upgrade to R180? To handle more power?
I wouldn't say there is any specific point other than you are breaking the r160 and don't want to break it again. I don't know how or what I did to chip the gears but i can guess it was either a hard launch or two or shock loading going from slippery to grippy surfaces.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It 4.111:1 per the factory service manual. You didn't need LSD gear oil for the factory differential as it doesn't have LSD. My 2009 Outback has a LSD rear end, but it is viscous coupled LSD which the viscous coupler is sealed. It uses regular gear oil as well.

It 4.111:1 per the factory service manual. You didn't need LSD gear oil for the factory differential as it doesn't have LSD. My 2009 Outback has a LSD rear end, but it is viscous coupled LSD which the viscous coupler is sealed. It uses regular gear oil as well.

I know it's not an LSD I assumed the shop had a reason, since they specialize in Subarus. I can't really find any source saying it will hurt anything only that it isn't necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

Installed the Perrin Steering Lockdown. I did it from below after reading through the old thread. It was a bit of a pain, but got it done. Honestly I didn’t notice much of a difference, but I chalk that up to the worn out factory suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed the Perrin Steering Lockdown. I did it from below after reading through the old thread. It was a bit of a pain, but got it done. Honestly I didn’t notice much of a difference, but I chalk that up to the worn out factory suspension.

Next time you buy new tires, make sure they have nice stiff sidewalls. You'll notice it then for sure. My car reacts to steering inputs like a 3500 pound gokart.

...worn out factory suspension

That's what needs fixing! I found a larger front swaybar (I have the 13-14 26mm sway bar installed - that alone made a big difference in how the car felt) along with 13-14 springs with Koni's made a huge difference in how the car handles (like night and day different) - the car is noticeably noisier over bumps now, but not objectionably so - the handling is definitely worth it!

I wish the front swaybar was an easier install in our cars - I had the misfortune of having the engine out earlier this year, so I had that thrown in there. Sort of an expensive way to install a swaybar...

I have the Eibachs (sitting in garage since March). Just waiting to pull the trigger on the Konis. When I get closer I'll start making a list of needed parts or things to inspect for replacement along with the struts/springs. The front swaybar will have to wait till the clutch gives up.

After 3 years sitting, finally installed my nameless downpipe. I tried my best porting the wastegate, but very conservatively with a Dremel. I also bent the divorced flange in such a way to clear the gate. OVERALL WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS IT WAS. About every bolt and stud needed replacing.

Side note: What are our aftermarket options for the turbo oil feed line? I’m pretty sure the next time I touch that line, the threads wil strip.

uHl0VhM.thumb.jpg.82414fc04a29070b8436aa2d08f8f770.jpg

So, I finally drove the GT to work this morning and I can tell a difference at highway speed. It's better, but hard to explain. As mentioned by others, it doesn't seem to wander as much. Much happier with it now. :)

I have the Eibachs (sitting in garage since March). Just waiting to pull the trigger on the Konis. When I get closer I'll start making a list of needed parts or things to inspect for replacement along with the struts/springs. The front swaybar will have to wait till the clutch gives up.

So, I finally drove the GT to work this morning and I can tell a difference at highway speed. It's better, but hard to explain. As mentioned by others, it doesn't seem to wander as much. Much happier with it now. :)

Wait until you install your Konis & Eibachs, you will be kicking yourself that you didn't install them earlier.

Who needs to change gears before 15 minutes of driving right?

The 6sp in the 2010 legacy has to be the worst trans I've ever had in the cold.

Put in some fresh Amsoil severe gear 75w90 today. We'll see what happens when it gets down below 20 deg F again. That seems to be the magic temp below which the shifting commenced to suck.