LegacyGT.com

Cvt

My manual says to inspect the cvt fluid at 36,000 mi. or 3 years. Dealer says its a sealed system and the cvt is warrantied for 60,000 mi. My question is, if it is sealed, then why is there a drain nut on the fluid pan? And if you need to inspect it, how does one do it without draining some of the fluid? Also my car, the XT Turbo, takes the CVTF-LV(low viscosity) fluid. The quart size of this fluid is discontinued and you can only buy a 5 gallon bucket to the tune of $460!!

Don't do like I did and loosen that cvt pan nut thinking it was the oil pan!! The real oil pan is conveniently tucked away and seems to be hidden.

• 2 weeks later...
My manual says to inspect the cvt fluid at 36,000 mi. or 3 years ... how does one do it without draining some of the fluid?
In this case, "inspect" means to check externally for leaks, per Subaru.

Don't do like I did and loosen that cvt pan nut thinking it was the oil pan!! The real oil pan is conveniently tucked away and seems to be hidden.
That's not Subaru's fault. For reasons like this, if you're going to be doing your own maintenance you really should have a copy of the Factory Service Manual: $35 buys a legal download from the Subaru Technical Information System.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't blame Subaru for anything. It would be nice to have a picture of the oil pan location in the manual. This is my first cvt vehicle.

Aren’t the oil drain plug and CVT drain plug completely different bolts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
My manual says to inspect the cvt fluid at 36,000 mi. or 3 years. Dealer says its a sealed system and the cvt is warrantied for 60,000 mi. My question is, if it is sealed, then why is there a drain nut on the fluid pan? And if you need to inspect it, how does one do it without draining some of the fluid? Also my car, the XT Turbo, takes the CVTF-LV(low viscosity) fluid. The quart size of this fluid is discontinued and you can only buy a 5 gallon bucket to the tune of $460!!

Well, this morning my mechanic calls me and had a customer come in for a CVT fluid change. Since he cant buy the fluid in qts. he wants me to sell him some fluid out of my 5 gallon bucket I had to buy. Interesting.

• 2 months later...

I've typically found most oil pans to be...beneath the engine. I've actually also noticed that most transmission drain pans are beneath the transmission. Weird.

Life-time fluid? What's your definition of a lifetime???

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

The cvt fluid is a life time fluid. Only time it should be changed is if your towing. Then it should be changed every 60k

Or if you drive in what Subaru seems severe driving, which is actually a large percentage of people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...