LegacyGT.com

How many miles on your CVT? Any Issues?

Just out of curiosity have any of the higher mileage CVT owners changed the CVT fluid in their cars?

I have a 2010 Outback which had about 125k miles on it. I'd be driving between about 50 and 65 mph and I'd feel a little slip or a miss which lasted only about a second. I brought it to the dealer (before the warranty was offered) and they thought that it sounded like a problem with the CVT. But before doing anything else, they suggested a flush, hoping for the best. That was about 2 years ago and everything has been fine...no more slipping at any speed. I guess changing the fluid fixed my problem. Maybe it'd be a good thing for you too.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 2010 Outback which had about 125k miles on it. I'd be driving between about 50 and 65 mph and I'd feel a little slip or a miss which lasted only about a second. I brought it to the dealer (before the warranty was offered) and they thought that it sounded like a problem with the CVT. But before doing anything else, they suggested a flush, hoping for the best. That was about 2 years ago and everything has been fine...no more slipping at any speed. I guess changing the fluid fixed my problem. Maybe it'd be a good thing for you too.

My car is at 44,000 miles so far so I think it's still a little early, but I plan on changing it at 60k or 80k the latest. Subaru says it's a lifetime fluid but I call BS on that. And glad it wasn't anything else serious.

My car is at 44,000 miles so far so I think it's still a little early, but I plan on changing it at 60k or 80k the latest. Subaru says it's a lifetime fluid but I call BS on that. And glad it wasn't anything else serious.
Subaru has revised that a few times you should contact your dealer service department for the proper change interval. Or consult your owners manual, or the online version of the scheduled maintenance booklet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Figured I’d chime in here.. I had a 2011 with 167k on it, original CVT fluid (I know, shame on me). Car had zero issues. No shuddering or stalling. Then i was T-boned by a Jeep.

Currently 88K on my 2014 Legacy. So far zero issues with the CVT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car is now up to 163k.. no issues. I know tran fluid was changed at least once around 130k, but I can't recall if I had it done at 80-90k or not.. The shop I go to didn't have what they needed for the CVT change at the time and suggested a dealer, but there is a solid chance I said F that. Last time they did it though (at least I paid for it 0.0)

2013 close to 100k no CVT fluid change but planing to change it out this Spring. I'm kind of skeptical on doing it since I never did a CVT before. I do have a exchanger/flush machine at the shop.

I did replace the front diff and rear diff fluid around 71k.

Edited by amusa

did they do just the solenoid or the entire valve body?

Sorry just seen your message I'll look for the receipt today so I can tell you exactly what they did.

• 5 months later...
I own a 2010 with a first gen CVT in a very hilly area and have had no issues with it except for a good amount of shift lag when running cold :confused: other then thta it has been a wonderful car!

Figured I’d chime in here.. I had a 2011 with 167k on it, original CVT fluid (I know, shame on me). Car had zero issues. No shuddering or stalling. Then i was T-boned by a Jeep.

Currently 88K on my 2014 Legacy. So far zero issues with the CVT.

Same, 2013 CVT legacy no problems. Just need to warm up a bit longer (like 3-4s) before going, as there sometimes is a slight grind noise when i start car and then go right away, pretty much now I start the car, then put on my seat belt, fiddle with some things before going. The grind has never happened again (I'm thinking it's the oil that takes a slight second to get into place.

Same, 2013 CVT legacy no problems. Just need to warm up a bit longer (like 3-4s) before going, as there sometimes is a slight grind noise when i start car and then go right away, pretty much now I start the car, then put on my seat belt, fiddle with some things before going. The grind has never happened again (I'm thinking it's the oil that takes a slight second to get into place.

A grind noise at startup is usually the starter needing lubricating. Mine does it on occasion and more often in cold weather.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2011-legacy-2-5i-starter-noise-startup-243116.html

My wife’s ‘18 Forester just rolled over 18k. No issues I’m aware of other than me always trying to outthink it. I wish it was a stick...

That said, it’s always seemed like it took a long time to go from reverse to drive, like when you finish backing out of the driveway. How long does that typically take and how long is considered too long? My mom has a ‘15 Outback with the CVT and it takes longer than I’d prefer to go from reverse to drive, but it’s not nearly as slow as the Fozzy. That’s why I’m inclined to think it might be too slow. Either that or the Outback is faster than average.

My wife’s ‘18 Forester just rolled over 18k. No issues I’m aware of other than me always trying to outthink it. I wish it was a stick...

That said, it’s always seemed like it took a long time to go from reverse to drive, like when you finish backing out of the driveway. How long does that typically take and how long is considered too long? My mom has a ‘15 Outback with the CVT and it takes longer than I’d prefer to go from reverse to drive, but it’s not nearly as slow as the Fozzy. That’s why I’m inclined to think it might be too slow. Either that or the Outback is faster than average.

It usually takes about half a second for it to shift into drive from reverse and vice versa, it's normal just make sure to always come to a complete stop when you do and you should be fine.

It usually takes about half a second for it to shift into drive from reverse and vice versa, it's normal just make sure to always come to a complete stop when you do and you should be fine.

I should start timing it. I’m pretty sure it’s more than half a second. Might even be a two count.

A grind noise at startup is usually the starter needing lubricating. Mine does it on occasion and more often in cold weather.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2011-legacy-2-5i-starter-noise-startup-243116.html

Yeah that's the starter grind, there's another grind I get when I slam the gear into reverse just when I start it. If I don't go as fast (ie, wait 1-2 seconds) there is no noise.

• 2 weeks later...

So stepped on it pretty good to get around a car this morning and the car hung at almost exactly 3k rpm. My heart definitely sunk as changing pedal pressure wasn't doing anything. It eventually came down and started operating normal after about 5 seconds.

Signs of CVT slippage? I haven't done any interwebz searching yet but will be doing so shortly.

• 10 months later...
I'm at 89,500 on my 2013 2.5i, and I do notice some vibrations that come from the CVT. It mainly happens when reversing. In the winter I notice some vibrations when braking, but nothing too concerning. I've never had the transmission flushed either.

So i hit 94K and noticed a weird noise and i took it into the local dealership. They said it was a problem with the transmission and it was a "known" problem and that Subaru has extended the warranty. They replaced the CVT free of charge. I no longer own the vehicle but it was a couple months ago.

• 11 months later...