LegacyGT.com

Is it true my 3.6R motor is blown?

I've been told that my 3.6R motor is blown. I have never heard of something like that in our cars. It was first diagnosed as a crankshaft balancer and a seal with the serpentine belt. After the mechanic took the radiator off the front crankshaft balancer I was told that something is broken in the motor. I asked what could cause this and the mechanic was baffled as I was. Can this actually be true? I was given a $4500-5K to get a replacement motor. My motor only has 118K on it. There was no indicator or sign that something was wrong. Any advise, suggestions ideas what could have gone wrong?

No overheating or low oil. Was driving with no issue. Once traffic slowed down to stop and go I noticed something different with the car. There was some sort of vibration but no sign of anything wrong. When traffic let up and I accelerate it sounded like something was not right. I finally pulled over and noticed oil all over the motor. The top serpentine balancer was bouncing like crazy. I first had a friend look at it and he said that should be OK as I just needed a crank balancer and seal as this thing sometimes go. I took it to a local shop and after they took it apart he came up with the same diagnosis. He did not say specifically what was broken but he did say that the motor is blown as it is the motor itself that is also vibrating shaking.:confused:

I wonder if the crank pulley bolt came loose and destroyed the crank keyway.

Anything is possible but that sounds unlikely on an engine that's never had the pulley removed.

If something like this did happen I don't know if it can be fixed without cracking apart the engine. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the word

unlikely on an engine that's never had the pulley removed.

I agree with that it is very unlikely the it would loosen if it has never been replaced. However, many people (mechanics included) don't properly torque them and just guess.

Find out what exactly is "blown" before deciding on anything. Get a second opinion if you can't get a concrete answer

That's what I've been saying this whole thread.

Honestly, if I had a shop go "I dunno, it's broke" and not willing/able to tell me more...I'd never set foot there again. I don't expect perfection, but I do expect information.

AWDTFW, I agree with you, but this ordeal just cost me $300 for him to take it apart and then put it back again. It is still in his shop and now I am waiting for him to put it back so I can pick it up and park it in front of my house and then possibly junk it. I don't know how I can get around having someone else take it apart without paying more bucks.

I mean, if you wanna junk a car without knowing what is wrong that's on you.

You're gonna have to pay someone who knows which end of a screwdriver to use to figure out what is actually wrong and how to fix it, since your original mechanic needs to go back to tinker toys.

Yeah, that diagnosis sounds a lot like "something is wrong, but I don't work on enough Subarus to know exactly what, and it'll be a waste of time for both of us if I try to dig into it." I'd find a shop that specializes in Subarus and either take it there, or tell them what you know and see if they have any ideas.

Sell it for a few grand and let it live on! If the crank is damaged the block has to be split to fix it. I would suggest a used motor or at least long block. If the timing cover was ever resealed that could be the cause of the problem.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Agreeing with the others, you need to find a competent shop. They need to show you what is wrong i.e. that the crank broke, rod windowed the block, etc. If you go used get the lowest mileage engine you can.

But I do understand downtime and if you don't have a back up car, that much cash on hand to do the repair and manage the shop to do the work, letting it go as is can be an option. 118k is pretty young for a car these days, unless it led a hard life there should be plenty more to go. If it we're me I'd book its value, look a the cost to repair against what I owe and weigh the two plus your time to mange getting it done.

A common problem with these engines is the bearings go in the two serpentine belt idler pulleys. I have one go in a 2000 Outback, it was just noisy so I decided to leave it a few days while I got a bearing....bad idea the cage in the bearing failed, the bearing seized, the belt got shredded and the idler got ripped off the engine damaging the bracket its mounted too which also holds the alternator. There was just enough left to hold the idler on after I put a new bearing in it.

I pays to just replace these bearings every 100,000km or your asking for trouble.

This event prompted me to replace the ones in my Legacy BEFORE they got noisy or failed.

Want to thank everyone for their input. Was told by the mechanic the crankshaft broke which tore everything inside the motor. He quote me 4500-5000K to get a nice rebuilt motor. Again that is quite a penny and it is too much to put into a car. I just feel when the motor goes and then you have to remove everything else and then put it back something is going to go. I decided to donate the car to the veterans. Hopefully someone there will be able to do something with it. Thank you all!

Archived