LegacyGT.com

What Did You Do To Your 6th Gen Today Thread - Vol 3

Not quite today, but I finished this up a few days ago. I bought my 2016 Legacy 2.5i Limited back in Feb after someone crashed into me and totaled my 2001 Legacy. The person who had this one before me wasn't super careful with it, so it came with a variety of curb rashes on both sides of the front bumper, the hood looked like someone had plowed through some bushes at high speed (carried over to the passenger side view mirror as well), and there was just a HUGE number of gravel pock marks across the entire front bumper. The rest of the car looked pretty nice, so while I was bored at home under quarantine, I decided to do some painting. My original plan was just to fix the curb rash, but when I inspected things close up, I thought it would be a shame to have newly fixed spots right next to what looks like it was hit with a gravel blaster, so the project grew quickly as I started working.

I was a little nervous about taking sand paper to a car for the first time, but I've spent lots of time wood working and restoring antique wooden cabinet radios from the 1930s, so I figured this wouldn't be TOO much different.

Here are some before and after images following lots of sanding, puttying, sanding some more, priming, painting and clear coating. I also filled in the holes and gouges in the front bumper left by the front license plate since PA doesn't issue front plates. It's not quite perfect, but looks WAY better than it did when I started. When it was all finished, I sprayed a can of Plasti-Dip on the silver grille work to tone it down a bit.

I like the overall look much more now.

98341969_PassBumperBefore.thumb.JPG.bb0f469ded7462bdd807cc6b3356c9e4.JPG

1159532477_PassBumperAfter.thumb.JPG.7594c2082702a1e322e9ba9db01f00af.JPG

515468801_DriverBumperBefore.thumb.JPG.d02e6f25519d6fa56ed0234342fd318f.JPG

706607842_DriverBumperAfter.thumb.JPG.c60e8eaefeed26ea4c824d307a3f56f4.JPG

1072679201_HoodBefore.thumb.JPG.e91afa744bd41f7c81a3e3a5247577ca.JPG

2112833213_HoodAfter.thumb.JPG.10706d2447ee9e07b16389916b2b0281.JPG

1259800753_AllDone.thumb.JPG.5583b163d96021fec2a9963473d7e8b2.JPG

Edited by EricS

I was a little nervous about taking sand paper to a car for the first time, but I've spent lots of time wood working and restoring antique wooden cabinet radios from the 1930s, so I figured this wouldn't be TOO much different.

Hi Eric, I have recently started watching a rather quirky mechanic's youtube videos, and coincidentally the latest ones have been about body work, and your post kind of sounded somewhat similar :lol:

HA - that's funny! I watched lots of videos before I started, but hadn't come across any by that guy ;-)

If you are interested, here is the final result. As I said, the guy is a bit quirky, but I find him interestingly down to earth, and he does give some degree of confidence to "non experts" :lol:

I think the front rotors on the 2.5 Limited and 3.6 are the same size. I had the issue when I ordered a kit from rock auto and they sent me the pads for a 2.5 standard/premium. Good thing on the pads is that the wrong ones won't fit (notches on the caliper body are different)

I could totally see it getting mixed up when ordering aftermarket ones, In your case, someone just wasn't paying attention during installation....

Actually the 2.5 is smaller. according to centric.

... or someone just didn't care.

Perhaps a bigger question is why the front pads and rotors were replaced at less than 28,000 miles. Looking at the pad wear, I'd say way before 28,000 miles. For me, that would be a big red flag ... CPO or not.

I think it was put on from the factory. I might call SOA and see what they think.

Lookin real good man

—————————————————

HPS intake, Nameless Axleback Exhaust, SSD FSB, Cusco RSB, 20mm rear sway bar, Voxx 18” rims, Infinity Kappa system,

More to come...

Sharing a rockauto coupon discount 145230047103902331

Copy and paste it into the how did you hear about us box. Cheers!

Here's my 4 year olds reaction when boost hits and the external wastegate screams hahahaha

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

Finished up The exterior lighting swaps on my 2015 today with VLEDs V6 Triton front turns.

Pricey, but no need to splice in resistors. They have plug n play inline resistors you can use.

So low beams are GTR Lighting Ultra 2

High beams are S-V.4s

Front turns are VLEDs

Front and back markers are Sylvanias from local parts store along with license plate lights

Diode Dynamics tail as turn with extra reverse lights(also sylvania)

I dug around a little but didn't find a definitive answer, do these come pre-wired for fogs? I had a 2012 Impreza that was pre-wired. Just had to add the lights, switch, and relay.

Custom volume knob on the center console for my knobless aftermarket head unit.

Twist: volume up and down

Press once: forward a track (or +30 sec on podcasts)

Press twice: back a track (or -30 sec on podcasts)

Hold: mute

Now I barely move my arm!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2y0if8h.jpg

Had the air manifold thing (for my air suspension) changed as my old one was filled with rust and was causing leaks. Turns out the new one also leaks [emoji38]

9hLGJxR.jpg

Then my cut out exhaust valve decided to die - the motor would power up but wouldnt close the valve. I just got a new valve and got it put in! Easy!

Video of valve!

Last but not least - my car sittin' pretty:

3ZJFhFK.jpg

That is one sexy beast [emoji7]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Any good products/resource recommendations for clay bar process? Would like to learn to do it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Chemical Guys products, but Mothers has a Clay Bar Kit you can buy for around 20.00.. I've been doing Car Shows several years and Detail my Own Car, So here is My Process and others might have there own opinions..

1st - Need to Remove any Waxes or Polishes So to do that the Best way is use Chemical Guys Clean Slate Car Wash or Good ol Dawn Dish Soap it will have the same effect.

2nd - Completely Dry your car let all the Cracks and Crevices Completely drain off.

3rd - Begin to Clay Bar doing 1 panel at a time using the Spray Lubricant supplied with the Clay Kit or you can use a Quick Detailer.. Work in a side to side motion once the panel is complete wipe down with micro fiber towel and move to the next panel but before you start fold in the clay where you just used and make a ball then flatten out to have a fresh surface. Do the complete car you should feel a very smooth surface. I do the clay process twice a year usually in the Spring and Fall..

4th - Apply a Polish to bring out the color and shine..If you have a Dark car use Chemical Guys Black Light for Light Color Cars use White Light.. Or you can use Mcguires Or Mothers Products of your choice but Make Sure Polish is BEFORE WAX. Do sections at a time as per directions .

5th - ( OPTIONAL) Sealer it Depends on How critical you are. Chemical Guys make a product called Jet Seal but once you apply a coat gotta wait 20 minutes then remove and then another 24 or 48 hours before applying Wax. This sealer products from Bird droppings and other harmful substances.

6th - Get a Good Wax from Chemical Guys or Mcguires or Mothers. I use Pete's 53 or Butter Wax, but Mcguires Xtreme Series is good or even Gold Glass Products.. Wax is the protector from the Weather Elements.. Apply it let haze up and wipe off gently with Micro Fiber towels.

Last get a Good Car Soap 2 buckets and wash mits.. 1 bucket and mit for wheels abd the other bucket and mit for the car. Chemical Guys has a nice bucket and a plastic filter that sits in the bottom to filter out dirt.. I usually wax the Car every 2 months in between my Clay Bar Process..

It might sound I promote Chemical Guys but it's your choice what products to use..Also you can use a Orbital Polisher which I can explain in a DM since post is long.. I hope I answered questions about detailing ..[emoji41][emoji41][emoji2962][emoji2962][emoji2962]

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Any good products/resource recommendations for clay bar process? Would like to learn to do it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly this was my first time using clay, but I was very straightforward. I watched a couple YouTube videos and talked to my dad and just went for it. All the steps Grnlantern1 laid out are great and clearly he has much more experience.

2 things I'll say to augment his post are: a separate bucket and mitt for wheels makes total sense but I always thought the two bucket method was one for soap, one to rinse. Mitt goes in the soap, on the car, then to rinse before back in the soap.

Secondly a few reviews I read said that a small spray bottle with soap and water is better lubricant than the quick detailer for clay because it doesn't leave a residue if you are following up with a sealer. I used all McGuire's stuff, but I sealed with a product called The Last Coat. I hit each panel with alcohol before using TLC and then followed their instructions.

I've been less than impressed with the lasting power of waxes so I gave this a try. So far after 2 weeks and one touchless car wash it's held up pretty well, but that's hardly enough time for a fair review.

Also if you have aftermarket wheels don't use harsh wheel cleaners, just soap and water. The info that came with my Enkei wheels said its just like your paint so treat it the same way.

Honestly this was my first time using clay, but I was very straightforward. I watched a couple YouTube videos and talked to my dad and just went for it. All the steps Grnlantern1 laid out are great and clearly he has much more experience.

2 things I'll say to augment his post are: a separate bucket and mitt for wheels makes total sense but I always thought the two bucket method was one for soap, one to rinse. Mitt goes in the soap, on the car, then to rinse before back in the soap.

Secondly a few reviews I read said that a small spray bottle with soap and water is better lubricant than the quick detailer for clay because it doesn't leave a residue if you are following up with a sealer. I used all McGuire's stuff, but I sealed with a product called The Last Coat. I hit each panel with alcohol before using TLC and then followed their instructions.

I've been less than impressed with the lasting power of waxes so I gave this a try. So far after 2 weeks and one touchless car wash it's held up pretty well, but that's hardly enough time for a fair review.

Also if you have aftermarket wheels don't use harsh wheel cleaners, just soap and water. The info that came with my Enkei wheels said its just like your paint so treat it the same way.

In normal situations the 2 Bucket Soap and Rinse is true.. But I use the Chemical Guys Filters that trap the Dirt so that's why I use one for wheels and one for the car..

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

So I want to put a spoiler on my car but I cannot decide which one. This is my Legacy currently, she's still a work in progress.

I've posted 3 spoiler pics below, let me know what you guys think. I originally wanted to go with the black one in the first spoiler pic but seeing the STI wing has me second guessing. Ah decisions...0af017da40bf0682abe48b02971e20c1.jpg5bc85680cdd54fc9931a6a6338f5b5f5.jpg25ad21d7940a3ca29a2e238546479aa6.jpg51de4d62a738b1b5280271580022ce63.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I like the first one and last one..... the middle one with the notch looks a little odd. The last one will give you the best downforce might help keep the car a little more solid on the highway. Course the last one will need to be drilled the other 2 are probably 3m tape. That last one the wing does it say it works on our 6th gen? Does it come painted? Got a link? Also wonder if it will restrict viewing never had a wing that big on any car. You have peeked my interest in it now.

—————————————————

HPS intake, Nameless Axleback Exhaust, SSD FSB, Cusco RSB, 20mm rear sway bar, Voxx 18” rims, Infinity Kappa system,

More to come...