LegacyGT.com

Official dual HVAC Double Din (JDM) Kit thread V2

dwolson2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Can someone here point me to the post that has someone actually cutting up a usdm model climate control from the stereo and their soldering? I'm assuming someone did it and I actually want to try given I have a spare unit I could sacrifice! Heck maybe I spend a little extra $ and outsource some reverse engineering of the circuit board and make an aftermarket replacement that is plug and play to the usdm buttons. Wouldn't that be nice.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
What do you mean look OEM? These cars never had an OEM camera.

i dont know how to say it any different. :rolleyes:

maybe lets go with....one that you just dont stick on the license plate and looks tacky. since that looks nowhere near OEM. :confused:

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

I tested a few cameras for both field of view, low light vision, image distortion, mounting style, good reviews, good price. I ended up with:

- Axxera AHV900 for front, installed under the Subaru emblem in the grill - Done

- Crux CUL-06 for rear, installed on a custom bracket on top of license plate, slightlly to the left (to allow operation of tailgate handle). The license plate is installed on a Volvo license plate holder ($11) - work in progress.

Forgot to mention I have an Outback 2009.

Edited by doru

Alright so I got my radio all wired up and everything works great, the only problem I'm having is the trim problem that a lot of other people have. Unfortunately for me my problem is a bit worse. I physically cannot get the left trim piece on as the climate control section of the double DIN is in the way. I tried loosening all the screws and shoving the whole unit to the right, but that didn't work. I've been using it with the trim pieces off for the last week but I'd really like to get it on. Did I mess up assembling the double DIN?

I can add a photo later, but essentially it's like the whole unit is too far to the left. If I try to put the trim piece on, it gets caught on the bottom left of the DIN, and stick out at the top left and where it screws in. The shifter trim piece is also off slightly, where on the left the climate controls stick over the left side.

I'm at a loss on what to do. I noticed my original head unit was also missing 2-3 screws with the top right plastic being stripped, so that was nice to find out. It's in there snug at least though.

Alright so I got my radio all wired up and everything works great, the only problem I'm having is the trim problem that a lot of other people have. Unfortunately for me my problem is a bit worse. I physically cannot get the left trim piece on as the climate control section of the double DIN is in the way. I tried loosening all the screws and shoving the whole unit to the right, but that didn't work. I've been using it with the trim pieces off for the last week but I'd really like to get it on. Did I mess up assembling the double DIN?

I can add a photo later, but essentially it's like the whole unit is too far to the left. If I try to put the trim piece on, it gets caught on the bottom left of the DIN, and stick out at the top left and where it screws in. The shifter trim piece is also off slightly, where on the left the climate controls stick over the left side.

I'm at a loss on what to do. I noticed my original head unit was also missing 2-3 screws with the top right plastic being stripped, so that was nice to find out. It's in there snug at least though.

Sounds like something is mounted wrong

Mine slipped on no issues

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

Hi all. Recently installed this double din kit and everything works great except one problem.

The heating on the HVAC unit now does not work

The aircon, fan and everything else works fine, just not my heating for some reason.

I have a single zone unit as I am in Australia and my car is single zone.

It should just be plug and play as it is a Japanese made Subaru. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it so much. I have done everything I can possibly think of and it's damn cold at the.moment.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all. Recently installed this double din kit and everything works great except one problem.

The heating on the HVAC unit now does not work

The aircon, fan and everything else works fine, just not my heating for some reason.

I have a single zone unit as I am in Australia and my car is single zone.

It should just be plug and play as it is a Japanese made Subaru. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it so much. I have done everything I can possibly think of and it's damn cold at the.moment.

Did you buy the Single Zone Unit version?

https://avojdm.com/single-zone-av-panel-set-h6217ag902sc/

Just an FYI David at ae64.com is still creating the harnesses, he may take a bit more to reply as he told me he’s got some family related issues going on and a boat load of emails to respond to. Just ordered and paid for my shipment today. Just be patient! Edited by xxBapes
Incorrect spelling

My antenna wire goes right into the oem head unit, no connector or anything.

Did anyone else run into this? There's no visible way to disconnect the antenna from the oem head unit.

Also, when I remove the oem head unit to connect my Pioneer, there's a few connectors from the car side that aren't used.. is it supposed to be that way?

• 3 weeks later...
My antenna wire goes right into the oem head unit, no connector or anything.

Did anyone else run into this? There's no visible way to disconnect the antenna from the oem head unit.

Also, when I remove the oem head unit to connect my Pioneer, there's a few connectors from the car side that aren't used.. is it supposed to be that way?

Hi Claw,

Your new antenna that comes with the JDM Dual (or single) climate control panel set should be plugged into the antenna slot (on your new aftermarket HU) you unplug from the OEM stereo/climate combo. That is if you’re using the double din set.

Check this video out. The guy is absolutely annoying but you can see the wires that need to be plugged in a little more. There should really only be like one plug that is left over that won’t be used.

Hope this helps a bit more! I just installed my set a week ago, a Sony XAV-AX5500. Didn’t take me any longer than an hour or two, most of the time was spent soldering wires together. Mine worked first try with no issues.

Chris

Edited by xxBapes

Does anyone know another option other than ae64 for wiring stuffs?

I recently got my wiring through AE64, I highly recommend David over anyone else but I found that Brian at AutoHarnessHouse.com does them as well. The color wiring may be be a little different as Brian states when you email him, but he gives your a guide through the wires to help you connect them. If you haven’t bought a head unit and are buying a Pioneer, I believe he sells them and will pre-connect wires for you before he ships if you so choose.

Like I said, David at AE64 has a better price point and he’s got more reputation. If you’re having trouble waiting for David to respond it’s likely because he’s got some family issues. I emailed him to follow up and he responded. He’s a. Very good guy. If you don’t want to wait this is the only site that I know of that has the wires. You can always email Brian at AutoHarnessHouse he’s pretty responsive and open to helping your install if you have any questions!

https://www.autoharnesshouse.com/AHH-JDM.html

Hope this helps!

Chris

Thanks for the help, I’ll wait some more. I just wanted to see if there was another option.

Anytime! Yeah he’s worth the wait, once you get ahold of him he will ship it out pretty quickly. The wiring he makes comes from Georgia so if you’re on the east coast you’ll get it rather quickly. I think I paid for express delivery so it got here within a day or two. I suggest emailing him to follow up. Also, if he replies check your spam folder because sometimes it can go to spam. Good luck man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by xxBapes