LegacyGT.com

Engine swap. Jdm forrester sg9 sti 2.5 swap into 05 lgt

New to this site been looking all around the internet for some answers on this exact engine have not found much. new to subarus.

My question is will the jdm sg9 2.5 sti engine work in place for the ej255 engine that is in the car. It's a dohc single avcs engine .

Assuming it will fit what would be some issues I would run into like I have a 5eat transmission the forrester had the 6 speed

I believe it has a differnt turbo set up then the stock turbo on the legacy any issues there besides maybe a tune ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated the reason for all this is I picked up a legacy with a locked up engine

I can be of no help here. I am curious about some of this as well. Not exactly your specific case, but I am interested in a JDM engine swap into a USDM car. I believe from what I have found the ECU will need adjusted or even swapped.

I will be watching this thread and hope you (and I by proxy) find the answers you need.

FWIW, its so easy to order a new ej257 short block and gasket kit for your year car, have your heads rebuilt.

It's what I did some 128,000 trouble free miles ago. see the click here link in my sig.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thank you, I have looked at your link...I will be putting together a project soon I think.

edit: it might be easy to order those things. Having the knowledge to put a motor together on the other hand, That's what has me nervous right now...

Edited by Deisel23

Thank you, I have looked at your link...I will be putting together a project soon I think.

edit: it might be easy to order those things. Having the knowledge to put a motor together on the other hand, That's what has me nervous right now...

I understand the putting the motor together. I could do it, but with 2 little kids, work, and it's cold not, I will just be paying my shop to do my install and tune. I am done with pulling motors and trans. Plus with my conditions I cannot do that anymore. I have no problem paying a shop. I just save up and take my time. having a daily is prime.

oh and the ej257 and gasket kit is the way to go.

Depending on where you live, they may be good support around you.

Being from a small town, I had lots of family connections in the local area. My oldest sister went to school with the machine shop owner's dad, who still worked at the shop. My dad was a heating oil delivery man, so he knew lots of the families in town from the 1940's on.

Ask around at the auto parts stores to see who they would let work on there cars...as you drive around, look for repair shops that seem to have Subaru's around them.

Stop in to machine shops and see how they treat you when you ask them for questions about having them do work for you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

An important difference between JDM Subaru motors and USDM motors are the cam sensors and the placement of those sensors as well. JDM cam sensor sends a sine wave and USDM is hall effect. You could swap the USDM cams in, but the placement of the sensor will need to be modified in the heads using a Dremel of some sort to move the sensor directly over the trigger.

An important difference between JDM Subaru motors and USDM motors are the cam sensors and the placement of those sensors as well. JDM cam sensor sends a sine wave and USDM is hall effect. You could swap the USDM cams in, but the placement of the sensor will need to be modified in the heads using a Dremel of some sort to move the sensor directly over the trigger.

This sounds like it would better left to a pro. I would hate to purchase 8k worth of parts to mess this up...

• 7 months later...
Has anyone done this successfully?

Just saying, why would you consider this when its been proven the a USDM ej257 works well in these cars.

Mine is about to turn 140,000 trouble free miles. see my click here link in my sig.

Spend a little more money now to save in the long run.