LegacyGT.com

Grid lines on head unit

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The grid lines on my head unit become more visible as the light on it becomes more direct. If the light is mostly directly on it, all I see is grid lines.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

The grid lines on my head unit become more visible as the light on it becomes more direct. If the light is mostly directly on it, all I see is grid lines.

I believe that is how they all are and do not believe that will qualify. As the TSB states, the grid lines must be visible at ALL TIMES. My 15 Legacy and my 17 Forester both have it but only visible in direct sun light.

I believe that is how they all are and do not believe that will qualify. As the TSB states, the grid lines must be visible at ALL TIMES. My 15 Legacy and my 17 Forester both have it but only visible in direct sun light.

Same here on my '15 Outback. It's not bad at all, even direct sunlight I discovered that it's not that bad (it's my wife's car so I don't drive it much).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
for all of those that are seeing lines on there 15-17 avn head units. it requires head unit replacement for display error. per tsb#15-177-14r

It looks like the display in the service bulletin is off and the lines are visible. Is it typical to see the lines when your screen is off? I can see the lines on mine when the screen is off and in typical lighting, as well as direct sunlight which I could expect. The lines are only barely viable at night. I attached some pictures for reference.

I never really noticed too much, but after driving a 2018 Forester that was a loner car with this same head-unit (without navigation) I realized I could not see any lines at all in almost 100% of lighting conditions.

Picture Order: Direct Sunlight, Screen Off, Screen Off half sun, Night, Shaded non-direct light

216326664_DirectSun.thumb.jpg.a0c3a0c9e38da3e0144a9b54a2b7539e.jpg

Off.thumb.jpg.5f3c7632213766c4677038286e4f6ede.jpg

1736939958_Off_halflightdark.thumb.jpg.c130cc24b7c2f85966e929efbbe2dc8a.jpg

Night.thumb.jpg.0c888937a0ef2d0375c93a1ee798928e.jpg

1320952665_ShadedLight.thumb.jpg.7fce8b9762ce962b1a1331b39ee31904.jpg

Edited by crudzinskas

that is a bad head unit. new one will not have grid lines seen even in direct sunlight.

Do you have pics of the replaced HU? Or anyone else that got the replacement.

I'm going to take the OB in as its still under warranty, but I want to go fully equipped when I take the Legacy as I'll have to get them to work with the extended plan and I have $100 deductible on that.

Also, How do the map updates work when you replace the HU? I have the 3 yr map update plan. Do you just keep your old SD card and use it in the new unit?

I know they had a whole convoluted process to resolve update issues between all the companies involved. I don't remember if there was anything that tied the SD card to the HU.

that is a bad head unit. new one will not have grid lines seen even in direct sunlight.

I have an appointment in a week for replace a drivers side airbag assembly and I am going to have them look at it too. I hope they agree with us! Although the problem doesn't really hinder the functionality, except for extreme direct sunlight which is probably less than 1% of driving time, it would be nice to have a fully working head unit since the car is still under warranty.

Wasn't too promising talking on the phone with them today though since the service tech said, "Oh there is probably an update out to fix that." They are on to something really great if they have software updates out that can fix hardware issues, lol....

Do you have pics of the replaced HU? Or anyone else that got the replacement.

I'm going to take the OB in as its still under warranty, but I want to go fully equipped when I take the Legacy as I'll have to get them to work with the extended plan and I have $100 deductible on that.

Also, How do the map updates work when you replace the HU? I have the 3 yr map update plan. Do you just keep your old SD card and use it in the new unit?

I know they had a whole convoluted process to resolve update issues between all the companies involved. I don't remember if there was anything that tied the SD card to the HU.

your old sd card gets transferred to the replacement head unit

picture of new head unit from angle with flash light right on it-no grid lines. just completely uniformed grey screen. if they tell you grid lines are normal through sunlight they are totally wrong. new unit is perfect with no grid lines just like when you purchased your car new.

779890593_IMG_6155(1).jpg.46f28f9245d79df05ae1d573565795f9.jpg

picture of new head unit from angle with flash light right on it-no grid lines. just completely uniformed grey screen. if they tell you grid lines are normal through sunlight they are totally wrong. new unit is perfect with no grid lines just like when you purchased your car new.

I made my appointment for Friday.

Do you mind taking a higher resolution pic in daylight, so I can take that along in case they start with the "thats normal" BS.

Thanks for posting this picture! I second that if you could take another picture and post it, it would be very useful. I plan on taking this with me when going to the dealer just in case!

From what I read those lines you now see, that are only visible in sunlight will / may become more and more visible. My 15 OB had them there all the time.

Is it time for Subaru to get thei "S" together on these HU's?

The guy that bought my Volvo had this happen ---

"Specifically, certain Subaru automobiles are reportedly built with a number of soy-based components or parts, including soy-covered electrical wiring, wire harnesses, insulation, fuel lines, battery caps, and other under-the-hood components or parts. These soy-based parts can attract rodents. "

https://chimicles.com/subaru-automobile-soy-based-car-components-class-action-lawsuit/

Edited by urdrwho

The guy that bought my Volvo had this happen ---

"Specifically, certain Subaru automobiles are reportedly built with a number of soy-based components or parts, including soy-covered electrical wiring, wire harnesses, insulation, fuel lines, battery caps, and other under-the-hood components or parts. These soy-based parts can attract rodents. "

https://chimicles.com/subaru-automobile-soy-based-car-components-class-action-lawsuit/

I'm a little split on this one. On one side I feel bad for the guy that had his cables and pipes chewed up by rodents.

On the other side you have all these crazy "green" people that push for regulations to limit/eliminate the use of plastics in automobiles. You have companies that innovate and come out with plant based alternatives. Then you have people sue the company because their "plant" got eaten by a rodent!

It should really be the city/town that needs to get sued for allowing said rodents to flourish.

May be this needs a whole new thread! Don't want to derail this thread from the grid lines on the HU.

I live in the country and now that I know this I will find a place to install mothballs under the hood.

One of my Jaguars in winter there were always had signs of rodents sleeping at night on the flat six head. They never ate any wires and eventually I placed some mothballs in the engine bay.

Not sure if soy based is a good alternative because it sounds like a ready to go food source. Don't think I'll be chewing on those wires to see how it tastes. :)

Not sure if I want the wiring issue or this one --

"Complaint Number:

Year:

Make:Subaru

Model: Outback

Incident Date:

May 3, 2018

Date Added to File:

May 4, 2018

Description of the Complaint:

Rear tail gate opens without activation at 35 mph while vehicle is in motion. I have a video but it is too big to send. My wife and I were on a busy highway after just purchasing flowers and plants at a local nursery when the tailgate just started to open all by itself spilling some of the plants on the highway. The tailgate locked in the open position at about two feet in the open position."

I'm a little split on this one. On one side I feel bad for the guy that had his cables and pipes chewed up by rodents.

On the other side you have all these crazy "green" people that push for regulations to limit/eliminate the use of plastics in automobiles. You have companies that innovate and come out with plant based alternatives. Then you have people sue the company because their "plant" got eaten by a rodent!

It should really be the city/town that needs to get sued for allowing said rodents to flourish.

May be this needs a whole new thread! Don't want to derail this thread from the grid lines on the HU.

Edited by urdrwho

The HU problems are numerous............... I personally have the problem of a recent HU replacement but the radio won't hold my Sirius subscription.

This person had multiple replacements ---

"2015 Subaru

Complaint Number:

Incident Date:

July 29, 2018

Date Added to File:

August 1, 2018

Description of the Complaint:

I have had 3 radios replaced in my 2015 outback, since 12-8-17 problems include , navigation going out, the siriusxm going out, now the replacement unit( both remanufactured) has a chirp sound coming out of it when driving down the road on all channels. Very distracting as you look down at the dash to check for warnings, taking your eyes off the road.This replacement unit is less than a week old( replaced on 7-26-18. Subaru customer service contacted 8-1-18. First noticed on 7-29-17."

Edited by urdrwho

One of my Jaguars ... flat six head.

That must have been one special Jaguar! Are you saying it was a flat six or a flathead six? Either variant would be really "unique."

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Rear tail gate opens without activation at 35 mph while vehicle is in motion. I have a video but it is too big to send. My wife and I were on a busy highway after just purchasing flowers and plants at a local nursery when the tailgate just started to open all by itself spilling some of the plants on the highway. The tailgate locked in the open position at about two feet in the open position."

That is pretty strange. Mine won't even open when I press the button and the shifter is not in P.