LegacyGT.com

Key Stuck

Recently I've had problems intermittently with the key stuck on my 2016 Legacy. It gets stuck on ACC and won't turn left anymore to the Lock position. I have to drive it around in gear for it to come out and it only works sometimes. Gonna be bringing it to the dealership, but has anyone else had this problem?

Ever spilled anything in the shifter?

Nope. Have an appointment for Tuesday to get it checked out. I have it on video too in case they play the "if you can't replicate it we can't fix it" game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to put the car in neutral, try to take out the key, then turn it back to ON and shift it to park and it finally comes out. It's as if the car thinks I'm still in gear even though it's parked so the key doesn't want to come out.

My GF had this happen a couple of times in her 2017. I wasn't there but she claims she had to start, stop, start, stop, and wiggle the wheel a few times to finally get the tumbler to turn back so she could get the key out. She hasn't complained about it in months so maybe it hasn't happened again.

UPDATE: Just asked her about it, she says it hasn't happened again.

I'll never buy another car without push button start. Everything can have its issues though but I fell in love without having to take a key out of my pocket and will never go back.

Wish push to start came standard and not only on the limited trim :/

Sounds like a shift adjustment issue...when you have the vehicle in park, does it say it is in park on the IP? If the adjustment is off it will make the ignition think it's in reverse therefore not allowing the key to come out.

Yeah the dash displays P

Kind of off topic but push button start sucks in my humble opinion. Call me old fashioned but nothing seems more trouble free and positive than a good old key. Not to mention remote start distance sucks with push button start on the Subaru.

So, the promoted 400 ft distance is not accurate?

Some searching around here would answer that. Generally, the answer is "yes".

Thinking about it, I believe the 400' distance of for the factory key start system, not the push button. Push button start owners often report having to be much closer, sometimes as close as 50'.

My dealer installed OEM remote starter on my 2016 key start system had good range. Problem was it started doing weird stuff. So in went a second unit, under warranty. Same deal. Out it came and in went an aftermarket unit that's been trouble free since.

ETA: My comments are for the 2015-2016MY only. I have zero experience with the 2018 and have read nothing about them.

• 11 months later...
I have started having a similar problem with my 2017 legacy. Sometimes I can get the key out and sometimes I cannot. I read in the forum for Outbacks that lots of those owners have been having this problem also. I am bringing it in to the dealer tomorrow. I’ll report what happened.

With the Key FOB no, 50 ft or so. With the separate remote start button yes, I have started the car from inside a motel with the car way out in the parking lot. I did not bring a tape measure though. I have the factory remote start. Works perfectly. (Push button start as well if that matters)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just a note that I my wife's 2016 Legacy with 41K Out of warranty started doing this. Within a month you couldn't get it to work without pushing the shifter hard forward. Then within a few more weeks it was getting really tricky to get the key out.

We took it to the dealer and it was a $750.00 repair! ("I'll give you a 50% discount on labor, since there is a TSB out.")

We called Subaru and told them this happened within a few thousand miles of our warranty running out and the TSB was out before the warranty ran out. The very nice fella gave my wife no trouble at all and is going to refund us the cost.

The repair entailed removing the shifter plate and replacing the switch. Nothing was done to the key switch, and it has been 100% for 2 weeks now.

Just some info on what we did.

Thanks!

Recently I've had problems intermittently with the key stuck on my 2016 Legacy. It gets stuck on ACC and won't turn left anymore to the Lock position. I have to drive it around in gear for it to come out and it only works sometimes. Gonna be bringing it to the dealership, but has anyone else had this problem?

typically a lock cylinder issue, if car is under warranty, let them deal with it.

Archived