LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

Thanks Gents, solid info here. I have 2 questions:

1) since I already have an OEM 6mt, do I have 35041AG020 already? (see pic)

2) I see the old STI STS Legacy part number C1010AG100 is available from heuberger. Would I need 30531(#41) and 30541 (#17) to install?

482748372_Screenshot2019-01-0916_29_35.thumb.png.9b538aada27fa3df267a13bbe9317186.png

Did Zack just drill-out the case and install the wiring and grommet to enable full DCCD connectivity at that spot?

Would be interested to know what that priced-out for everything?

I think he just swapped that case section out for the STI one, though I'm not 100% positive on that. Any time you open up one of these, it costs some coin. Zach's pricing is very fair, considering the level of effort and the sourcing of parts. He stocks literally everything anyone would need on a custom 6MT or any Subaru transmission, with maybe the exception of some custom gear sets. A used STI 6MT transmission might have been cheaper, but who knows what condition it's in internally and I'd have a shorter 6th gear. I'll let the vendors quote their own prices, but I'm very happy with the result.

Thanks Gents, solid info here. I have 2 questions:

1) since I already have an OEM 6mt, do I have 35041AG020 already? (see pic)

2) I see the old STI STS Legacy part number C1010AG100 is available from heuberger. Would I need 30531(#41) and 30541 (#17) to install?

1) Yes you may. In fact if you have stock 6MT shifter you may have both rods already.

One thing you'll have to worry about is the reverse lockout cable - the length is specific to rods. I just went through similar experience fitting STI 6MT with modified STI linkage into my 05 LGT wagon. Lots of parts were replaced, I have some left that I have not user/reused.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

• 2 months later...

Picked up a 44k mile 2012 STI trans and diff a couple weeks ago, and feel like I've been reading through 160 pages of this thread about three times now! Didn't expect to pick one up this quickly after getting my 5mt sorted out, but here I am. Got a MapDCCD controller as well, that'll be fun to play with. All my remaining parts should be in by the end of the week.

I need a place to keep things straight, this might work better than a paper scrap in my wallet!

2012 6MT

shift linkage came with 6mt

new shifter rod u-joint, just cuz its out - 35046-ag000

R180 - flange off the the 160

4eat driveshaft from an '07 legacy

resurfaced flywheel

8 flywheel bolts

new clutch

9 pressure plate bolts

reuse 5mt starter

6mt slave cylinder

clutch return spring - 30546-aa060

new spec b axles - 28421-AG03b

spec b/sti rear diff carrier - 41310-ag040

whiteline diff bushings

whiteline front shifter bushings

6mt trans mount d1010-fe000

6mt shift knob - 35022-va000

rear shifter stay mount - b0220-fg300

rear diff axle seals

trans output seal

Probably have to add to that, but I think its almost complete.

Not positive on the direction I'll go for the trans harness and dccd wiring. I was looking at the iWire kit, and wanted to call them today but it appears they're closed for an employee's honeymoon. Or see if Mr. Dade had any insight about his harness adventures.

Just to extra-verify a couple points-

- The 2012 shift linkage and reverse cable is acceptable, correct?

- 5mt starter will work? Read a couple of conflicting reports, but they look the same externally.

- Hoping to be able to reuse my 5mt shift surround and boot, is that feasible? Trimming sounds involved. Again, seems like differing accounts in this thread. Not sure there are any Spec B surrounds left anymore, either. Suppose I'll find out shortly!

I'm still using my stock 05 shifter trim, and everything lines up just fine, but I'm also using an 05 6MT...

Did the 6MT dimensions change between 05 and... ever? I have no idea.

I'm still using my stock 05 shifter trim, and everything lines up just fine, but I'm also using an 05 6MT...

Did the 6MT dimensions change between 05 and... ever? I have no idea.

Thanks, thats good to hear. I dunno either, pretty sure external dimensions are all the same, but all the talk about various shifter and rod lengths kinda threw it in the air. Probably be obvious once the car is torn apart.

So many 6 speed swaps now I’m happy to be one coming from a auto trans and now I have a perfectly 6speed swapped subi that I did in my garage! Wiring harness, steering column, pedal assembly etc I literally spent over 10k to get my car on the ground but that includes a bunch of up grades.. all worth it. Recently my timing belt jumped some teeth gunna get on that as soon as I find out what timing belt kit to go with

Don't go with the Gates Kevlar "Blue" version. Too many instances of that blue-ish transferring to the roller and tensioner bits
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

So many 6 speed swaps now I’m happy to be one coming from a auto trans and now I have a perfectly 6speed swapped subi that I did in my garage! Wiring harness, steering column, pedal assembly etc I literally spent over 10k to get my car on the ground but that includes a bunch of up grades.. all worth it. Recently my timing belt jumped some teeth gunna get on that as soon as I find out what timing belt kit to go with

Grats on the swap!

Use an Aisin timing belt kit - TKF-004 . Dont forget external belts if yours are worn. Consider replacing the crank seal as well. The Company 23 cam lock tool is a very nice thing to have, though certainly not required.

This is kind of a general 6 speed question - whats the consensus on replacing the shifter bushings? Specifically the rear shifter stay bushing. How much NVH does it add? Is there enough positive improvement to justify adding any NVH?

I suddenly find myself with 3 options in hand. Didn't realize the trans had one, it was hiding under the boot and I didn't spot it. So I've got stock STI rear bushing, I ordered the stiffer 'group N' bushing from the dealer, and I ordered the Whiteline bushing kit with front and rear bushings since it was so cheap. I figure I'll for sure do the front bushings, but if the rear just makes it noisy without much improvement, I'll stick to one of the rubber factory options.

STOCK ONLY.....THE GATES PULLEYS ETC ARE MADE IN CHINA AND PEOPLE HAVING ISSUES. You tube video about it.

Link to guy who sells OEM kits

https://sixstarbernie.com/c-1171146-timing-belts-more-oem-timing-belt-kits.html

Hi guys :)

What do i need to get to do a swap from 5 mt to a 6 mt sti tranny more than the tranny on a jdm leggy 2,0 gt ? Need a tranny that will hold over 400hp im the only jdm leggy in sweden that will have a stroked dual avcs 2.1 l highcomp engine hehe so hmm all this is new for me .

Best regards

Bobban from sweden :)

Hi guys :)

What do i need to get to do a swap from 5 mt to a 6 mt sti tranny more than the tranny on a jdm leggy 2,0 gt ? Need a tranny that will hold over 400hp �������� im the only jdm leggy in sweden that will have a stroked dual avcs 2.1 l highcomp engine hehe so hmm all this is new for me .

Best regards

Bobban from sweden :)

Did you see the first post in this thread? If your car is from the 2005-2009 generation, it has just about everything you need to know. (I think JDM used the same chassis in 2004 as well).

If your car is from a different generation, you should probably start a new thread.

Did you see the first post in this thread? If your car is from the 2005-2009 generation, it has just about everything you need to know. (I think JDM used the same chassis in 2004 as well).

If your car is from a different generation, you should probably start a new thread.

Thanks it’s a 2004 jdm leggy gt wagon bp5 fc4cf7460d890b038bd247341c17ec9e.jpg

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Got everything installed last night, minus the MapDCCD. Didn't get started till 3pm, cuz I was lazy, then ended up marathoning it until 2am. Not recommended...

Some thoughts/notes below.

Seems like the 08+ STI shift linkages are entirely compatible. I ordered a new shift rod because the part numbers were different between an '08 SpecB and a '12 STI. Once in hand, they are identical in every way I could discern. I ordered that and an reverse cable because again, different numbers, but so far the reverse cable from the '12 trans is working fine.

It seemed like the driveshaft (4eat) did not have much or any room to slip once installed - it bottomed out on the yoke and stayed there. Dont know if thats a 'problem', but it seems like it should have a bit of slip available. Bolted up just fine with the r160 flange, though.

I've got a chirping/whirring noise that sounds like metal on metal rubbing. Quite noticeable from inside and outside the car. Seemed to decrease on the drive home, but still present now. It must be clearancing itself. Need to see what the driveshaft is rubbing on, maybe one of the shrouds is bent enough to contact something it shouldn't be. I wanted to look at it right then, but 2am and a mad wife back at home said 'tomorrow'.

Reverse cable seems to be sticking on the shift lever. Whatever the rubber coating is on there looks to have expanded up top and catches it and has to be pushed back down.

Didn't see any way to get the 5 speed shifter boot on to the lever, so just running without for now. Again, 2am probably clouding judgement. Investigate later.

Turns out you can remove the rear diff without unbolting any of the rear suspension to get the axles out beforehand. I didn't want to unbolt any of the arms, because lazy, so I unbolted the diff and dropped it down out of the mounts with the help of a tranny jack. Dropped the exhaust hanger near the diff off for more downward clearance. Pried out the passenger rear axle from the diff, which was very difficult, but possible. Then popped the driver rear axle out of the diff, and the diff was free. Then you just unbolt the axle nuts and slide them out. Install was the reverse. Install axles, get the driver side axle installed in the diff, pry the passenger side axle in, then lift and bolt the diff up. It took a soft deadblow hammer to fully seat the axles in the diff, couple of whacks on both inner joints and they popped in to the C-clips, fully flush with the diff surface.

I purchased the Whiteline rear diff positive power kit prior to install, highly recommended. I previously had the Whiteline bushing inserts for the rear-most mounts on the r160, which made a huge difference in shift feel. On RallySport's site, they dont list the full kit for a 5 speed, only the rear inserts, and the kit does not include the forward diff carrier mount inserts. Assumed the r160 and r180 carrier bushings were different since it didn't list them as available for the 5speed. Turns out nah, the full kit would have fit the 5 speed carrier just fine. So now I've got an extra half set of rear bushings. Anyways - highly recommend this kit. KDT903.

Driving is completely different, obviously. The trans feels...new? modern? positive? Not exactly fair comparing a 140k 5 speed to a 44k 6speed with all new bushings, but wow. I do notice that downshifting from 5 to 4 is not quite mindless - if I don't hesitate for a fraction of a second, the shifter wont return to center quick enough and it drops in to 6th again. I'm sure I need to 'learn' the trans a bit, but I may see about a stiffer return spring? Not sure I've seen one for the 6speed, but I know thats a thing on other trans. Haven't looked yet. We'll see how it feels once I get more than 24 miles on it.

Using a Southbend stage 3 daily clutch. Overkill, but I've got headroom now for a larger turbo. Feels great so far. No stiffer than the 5 speed stage 3. Not obnoxiously stiff, feels probably 30% stiffer than a stock. Hard to quantify 'feel', but it feels fine. Had the stock flywheel resurfaced, and then took the flywheel and clutch cover to be balanced together at a local balancing shop. Had it done on my 5 speed Southbend stage 3 daily and flywheel as well. Highly recommended. Any clutch I do will be balanced now. Balancer actually removed a fair amount of weight to balance the STI assembly, makes me wonder what it would have felt like if left unbalanced.

Currently using BG Ultraguard 75-90 gear oil front and rear, because its great gear oil, and because it was in a keg with a handle and nozzle and was easier to pump in. Used 11 pints total F and R. No complaints so far, trans feels great. But I only have 24 miles on it, too. Not expecting anything untoward with it, but if I dont like it I'll drop it for some Motul 300.

Anyways, enough rambling. Glad to have it installed. Time to investigate noises. MapDCCD wiring later.

• 4 weeks later...
I recently swapped an 06 sti 6spd into my obxt. I am using a 2010 sti shifter linkage with kartboy bushings and short shifter. The shifter is sitting a little to the left of the center of the shifter bezel. I was wondering if any of you guys had similar placement of the shifter.

• 5 months later...
It seems most of this revolves around sti based swaps. If one is losing a rear diff and knows where an entire spec b drivetrain is available, is it reasonable to expect it to be a relatively straight forward retrofit? Apologies if I failed to google thoroughly enough. 2006 spec b sedan to 2005 gt wagon.

2006 Spec B is the same 5MT that is in the 2005-2009 Legacy GT, so no 6MT upgrade path that way.

You need a 2007-2009 Spec B IOT take advantage of their Spec B "6MT" drivetrain. I swapped in a full 08 Spec B drivetrain on my 05 Legacy GT Wagon. Perfect fit, looks like factory.

If you're just replacing the 5MT in your wagon with the 5MT in the 06Spec B it's just one for the other.

Edited by SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

18 months in and I still love the sti swap. It’s got about 2100 miles with zero issues.

Glad yours is going strong. I chipped a tooth in 2nd gear a couple weeks ago. trans lasted 6 months and 13k miles. 68k miles on the trans rn. Car is running 16psi at 3.5k tapering to 14 by redline on a vf52 with 11 afr targets, stock long block. Trans is out of an 06 sti bought with 55k miles. Have an r160 suretrac in the back that has a 3.54 final drive installed in it. Diff outlasted the trans.

Glad yours is going strong. I chipped a tooth in 2nd gear a couple weeks ago. trans lasted 6 months and 13k miles. 68k miles on the trans rn. Car is running 16psi at 3.5k tapering to 14 by redline on a vf52 with 11 afr targets, stock long block. Trans is out of an 06 sti bought with 55k miles. Have an r160 suretrac in the back that has a 3.54 final drive installed in it. Diff outlasted the trans.

I have now about three years and 40 000km since swap

Trans should have ca. 160000km = 100k miles on it on total

Works very well albeit some "whine" from trans.

According to some Youtube videos STI-6-speed do make some noise normally but not totally sure of this. Noise is more present on certain (low) rpms and seem to be less on higher gears.

How are your transmissions noise wise comparing to 5MT?

my 6MT whines a little. 05 STI tranny from Mike HAMMERDOWN's LGT, I had it rebuilt by Rallitec before putting it in my car.

It's not too loud or annoying, just different from 5speed .

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I have chattering noise when there's zero load on the drivetrain, that's been there since day one. There's a mild descent that leads to my neighborhood that's just right for it. Otherwise it's pretty quiet.

• 1 month later...