LegacyGT.com

How to fix Err.55?

I just got an Err.55 when trying to power my way up my snowed-in driveway. From other threads, it looks like this is an ABS/speed sensor failure? Makes sense in this case, cause I was spinning the wheels pretty good.

Problem is, it sounds like my radiator fan kicked in as soon as this error happened (seems strange), and it doesn't go away when I power off and back on. On every power up I have an ABS light lit, a CEL lit, and a blinking cruise control.

How do I get rid of this error, assuming it's not something more sinister?

It is almost certainly an ABS wheel sensor. I had the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago. The fan kicking on, the CEL being illuminated, a rough idle and a 4000 rpm rev limit are all byproducts of the car now being in "limp home" mode. Go to your dealer and their scan tool will reveal which sensor is bad and they will replace it.

Ugh, I searched for a a few things, but not "ABS". Thanks for the thread tips, very useful.

So this is probably not simply me pissing off the speed sensor by rocking my car in the snow, eh? That's a pisser.

If I pull the negative terminal to reset the error, will the dealer be able to see the error code on their reader? Or would I have to wait for it to happen again before they could check the error code to find out which ABS sensor is screwed up?

Does anyone else get this when they spin the wheels too much? Is this common, and usually harmless? Or is it usually a sign of a problem? I haven't had any CEL's before, so I don't know if this is something I should take in to the dealer, or just ignore unless it happens again...

Also, do the CEL codes survive pulling the negative terminal? Cause I did that, so the dealer wouldn't even be able to diagnose the problem if it went away completely when I did that.

It certainly won't hurt to disconnect the battery and reset the ECU. If the CEL/ABS light and ER SS go off then you are all good. If you really do have a bad ABS sensor, the Christmas tree of warning lights will reappear about 5 seconds after starting the car.

Archived