LegacyGT.com

**Official** Mid-Atlantic FS and WTB/WTT Thread!

LegacyGTBiggie

Insurance uses only new, they said they didnt want to do the job, place was a sham went around for most expensive items cause insurance totals it when it hits 75% of value. Everything listed was prep, painting, 2 wiring harness(one cut wire) tire( was still inflated when I picked it up). They just wanted to hit the "magic" number and total, cause I said I'll pick up the difference, either he was in experienced or lazy, who refuses money made on body repair? I know what is charged for blending for just paint alone is insane.

I don't know if there is frame damage, my engine installer who doesn't do body said it need to go on a frame machine idk, to see if it needed work or if so how bad was it. I would have taken pictures but a tow was coming and I wasn't trying to climb underneath, I did buy it back, asked my engine guy to rebuild suspension , hell I can do the a-arm strut, ball joint sway bar, i even installed a jdm 02 bumper on my 03 Subaru rs, I do have upper pics but just showing radiator didn't touch case and from front and nothing hit the turbo. I can get a whole front clip for $1400, get the fenders and body parts myself and will drive around with it just having primer. I need it drive able.

Im temped to post their write up,

basic run down, generally speaking,

New Front bumper, reinforce, energy, prep, fog lgts, clear and paint just shy a 1000

Front headlights i know what new oem and non go for

New Hood, prep, paint and clear 600

fender 127, i can get brand new for 75 shipped

they thew in a wiring harness for srs and std one both are $1000 together, one wire is broken, looks like the cut/ ripped back the srs

front door, new internals, 312

and a non flat tire I paid 90 for brand new 190

Can I fight this some how, that this was almost fraudulently done, esp since they refused the work?

$259 for a HUB!, I just replaced them both for less than that oem might be cheaper.

Im in NJ tho

Im assuming the apron is up front, Im single no kids, ill take the chance, I used to ride my r6 doin stand ups dpwn 295 past troopers.

More pics, I just need it drivable, I had the car for a year the jerk told me timing belt was done snapped at 170(Because it was never changed), I would have done in in a few more months, this is a family friend, tells me timing jumped.

My engine sure no problem usually get an engine in a few days 2 weeks MAX, 6 WEEKS later get the car! Had it for 2 days its misfiring I have a decent computer runing lean call sure bring it up, IM 4 min away leftt work early narrow road car i think was illegally parked, heard a noise cause I was listening the whole time looked awat split second......waited 6 weeks!! wasted a fortune on rentals now, its sitting at engine guy multiple email, like i HAVE the cash fix it i dont make good money but its the one thing that makes me happy. Now im in limbo? Do you fix the suspension first, do u need the frame checked? Cant go there, have a big disclaimer cause of virus no customers...

I just want the car fixed, I have some money to spend, I can do alot of the work and the painting it can wait cause i need to get to my job.

Sorry for rant, other pics if they help...Senseless I appreciate your input immensely!! You've told me more than I heard since it happen.

Sure quote me minus painting

*wouldnt let me attach more pics

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Insurance uses only new, they said they didnt want to do the job, place was a sham went around for most expensive items cause insurance totals it when it hits 75% of value. Everything listed was prep, painting, 2 wiring harness(one cut wire) tire( was still inflated when I picked it up). They just wanted to hit the "magic" number and total, cause I said I'll pick up the difference, either he was in experienced or lazy, who refuses money made on body repair? I know what is charged for blending for just paint alone is insane.

I don't know if there is frame damage, my engine installer who doesn't do body said it need to go on a frame machine idk, to see if it needed work or if so how bad was it. I would have taken pictures but a tow was coming and I wasn't trying to climb underneath, I did buy it back, asked my engine guy to rebuild suspension , hell I can do the a-arm strut, ball joint sway bar, i even installed a jdm 02 bumper on my 03 Subaru rs, I do have upper pics but just showing radiator didn't touch case and from front and nothing hit the turbo. I can get a whole front clip for $1400, get the fenders and body parts myself and will drive around with it just having primer. I need it drive able.

Im temped to post their write up,

basic run down, generally speaking,

New Front bumper, reinforce, energy, prep, fog lgts, clear and paint just shy a 1000

Front headlights i know what new oem and non go for

New Hood, prep, paint and clear 600

fender 127, i can get brand new for 75 shipped

they thew in a wiring harness for srs and std one both are $1000 together, one wire is broken, looks like the cut/ ripped back the srs

front door, new internals, 312

and a non flat tire I paid 90 for brand new 190

Can I fight this some how, that this was almost fraudulently done, esp since they refused the work?

$259 for a HUB!, I just replaced them both for less than that oem might be cheaper.

Im in NJ tho

Im assuming the apron is up front, Im single no kids, ill take the chance, I used to ride my r6 doin stand ups dpwn 295 past troopers.

More pics, I just need it drivable, I had the car for a year the jerk told me timing belt was done snapped at 170(Because it was never changed), I would have done in in a few more months, this is a family friend, tells me timing jumped.

My engine sure no problem usually get an engine in a few days 2 weeks MAX, 6 WEEKS later get the car! Had it for 2 days its misfiring I have a decent computer runing lean call sure bring it up, IM 4 min away leftt work early narrow road car i think was illegally parked, heard a noise cause I was listening the whole time looked awat split second......waited 6 weeks!! wasted a fortune on rentals now, its sitting at engine guy multiple email, like i HAVE the cash fix it i dont make good money but its the one thing that makes me happy. Now im in limbo? Do you fix the suspension first, do u need the frame checked? Cant go there, have a big disclaimer cause of virus no customers...

I just want the car fixed, I have some money to spend, I can do alot of the work and the painting it can wait cause i need to get to my job.

Sorry for rant, other pics if they help...Senseless I appreciate your input immensely!! You've told me more than I heard since it happen.

Sure quote me minus painting

*wouldnt let me attach more pics

That's pretty cool you got an appraisal from the other guy. Tbh the easiest way forward is to just let it go, take your check, and start over.

If you've never done a door, fender, etc you might want to partner with a laid off mechanic to double team the car. I can tell you this virus has auto techs looking to stockpile money, so get a good rate on labor.

The harness is a tough point because yes you could fix the damage you see, but you don't know bad the wires that still work got pinched. They could break over time causing a potential nightmare diagnosis situation.

Idk between the bumper fender and door one person having never done that before you'te going to regret that. Buy a can of silicone spray to lube areas with rubber and all the suspension is gravy

Edited by Senseless1

Buy it back from the insurance company for dirt, and find a roller to put your motor and trans into.

This is probably the best idea IMO. Hell, find a wagon and swap over the full drive-train, suspension, and interior!

If you do decide to try and fix it though, that SRS harness (the one wrapped in yellow) should be replaced. Don't try and fix it. Go to a local pick-a-part and try to pull the entire harness yourself, from connector to connector. You'll also need that front sensor on the rail.

Either way, good luck!

My problem is it took 6 weeks, for the engine I just paid 5 k for, and Insurance covered the rental from collision until the first until a week ago, I've has rentals for 8 weeks! I cant afford rentals I need to make moves, there is a frame place near where the engine shop is they say due to the virus they are doing estimates thought the internet, I know they can't estimate frame damage through pictures, I found other cars, One in baltimore and another in mass, but with the virus IDK about traveling across state lines, I know no issues back into NJ, but I'm also an essential employee in NJ. Have documentation, but its a local company not a major one, never the less we provide life sustaining services(in NJ)

My problem is it took 6 weeks, for the engine I just paid 5 k for, and Insurance covered the rental from collision until the first until a week ago, I've has rentals for 8 weeks! I cant afford rentals I need to make moves, there is a frame place near where the engine shop is they say due to the virus they are doing estimates thought the internet, I know they can't estimate frame damage through pictures, I found other cars, One in baltimore and another in mass, but with the virus IDK about traveling across state lines, I know no issues back into NJ, but I'm also an essential employee in NJ. Have documentation, but its a local company not a major one, never the less we provide life sustaining services(in NJ)

That's really tough. Full disclosure I have a 98 legacy GT wagon that could really use your drivetrain...

If I were you I'd look for the cheapest Corolla money could buy to get you mobile again and then start looking for a 98ish Impreza RS or a run of the mill bugeye/blobeye Impreza or legacy. Strip both vehicles down and swap over the full harness and drivetrain with brakes etc

I'm hopefully buying a Forester xt next week that will end up being my turbo open source tuneable donor for my wagon. I'm probably just taking the engine and brakes unless I want to fool around with finding a way to take the washer sprayer system and adapt it to my tmic. I guess I need to see if the Forester alternator puts out more juice or not as well.

• I Donated
That's really tough. Full disclosure I have a 98 legacy GT wagon that could really use your drivetrain...

If I were you I'd look for the cheapest Corolla money could buy to get you mobile again and then start looking for a 98ish Impreza RS or a run of the mill bugeye/blobeye Impreza or legacy. Strip both vehicles down and swap over the full harness and drivetrain with brakes etc

You know this isn't nearly as easy as you imply, right?

Having the full donor car will help, but there's likely a good bit of custom wiring involved. The EJ255 is DBW with CAN-BUS management. Very few people have been able to even swap the powertrain from an LGT to a 2.5i.

You know this isn't nearly as easy as you imply, right?

Having the full donor car will help, but there's likely a good bit of custom wiring involved. The EJ255 is DBW with CAN-BUS management. Very few people have been able to even swap the powertrain from an LGT to a 2.5i.

Yes.

I'm about to swap everything over from an 04 fxt into a 98 lgt wagon.

I'm a recently furloughed auto technician with 3 months of full time aviation electronics training though, so if my wife won't divorce me for buying another Subaru I'll have basically the planets aligned for one of the cheapest swaps in history if I can figure out how to tune it myself using a $25 vagcom cable.

Swapping pedal boxes and taking dasboards out sucks, but I'll be happy enough if I can weasle my way into doing this in a storage unit in less than a month to minimize costs.

I just bought a AAA membership to to tow the donor which is cheaper than renting a tow dolly and truck by about $50.

I have a daily driver and access to factory wiring diagrams. I just picked up those solder seal connectors that I like a lot. I like wiring more when it isn't done upside down under a dash or inside a trunk, but there are worse things. Worse things like anything on Euro cars. I had a 2019 range rover evora or something that I spent 2 hours on just for a cupholder...

IF I can make it happen I'll try and get some video and share the information so you can see.

Tbh worst case I'll run both ecus and have one minimally connected to run the car HVAC/ABS/LIGHTS and the other for ecu.

I'll swap over all sensors and keep both parallel harness circuits complete.

I'll probably need to swap pedal boxes.

Once I get everything working and verified I can start unplugging the FXT modules I'm not using and see which ones throw limp mode or cause issues. Once a circuit is verified redundant it can be cut out.

I'll have to perform this process on the engine harness to see what connectors can be proven redundant and cut out of the bulkhead harness. Condensing fuse boxes neatly will be a challenge.

Ideally I would perform this testing prior to final dashboard installation.

I'm sure iwire would be able to do this much much faster using one of their spreadsheets, but this is the dummy way.

For electrical components deemed redundant but still wire in with essential circuits I'll just measure the resistance of the component and wire in a resistor. I think my 04 donor is old enough that I'm good to go, but I understand Canbus systems need to have all modules connected and typically have a threshold range of sensor output they want to see.

I would be looking to see what kind of wiring differences there are between abs systems, alternator systems, HVAC. The steering column + keys may need to come with as an assembly for the immobilizer. The complete canbus circuitry and components would need to be swapped over and you would possibly need to find ways to trick each component to get your happy canbus signals to run everything.

I also don't emissions requirements for this vehicle.

Edited by Senseless1

I am getting bored at home, have some tools (not nearly what I used to have) and can do ANYTHING to a Subaru. If the price is right, I could be persuaded to "come out of retirement" and work on other peoples cars again.

• 2 weeks later...

lBLZVCS.jpg

Infernofab single port UEL header $50

eBay speedaddy dual port UEL manifold-has a hole in it. $20

Infernofab cat delete test pipe. $100

I'm willing to ship, but the manifolds need big boxes and will be expensive fyi.

Parts located in Maryland.

I actually have a decent parts stash of second gen legacy stuff if anybody needs anything.

https://www.infernofab.org/uel-ej-2-2-single-port-header-stainless-steel.html

Edited by Senseless1

I have a brand new, unopened whiteline front sway bar that was for my 2014 Legacy. I don't have the car any more so I have no need for it.

$200

I would prefer local pickup, or depending how far you are from me I could possibly meet.

If you want it shipped you would need to pay for shipping as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I am getting bored at home, have some tools (not nearly what I used to have) and can do ANYTHING to a Subaru. If the price is right, I could be persuaded to "come out of retirement" and work on other peoples cars again.

If I could ever find a decent specB I'd be up for that. I'm just down the road (I-95) from you.

If I could ever find a decent specB I'd be up for that. I'm just down the road (I-95) from you.

Seeing how my "current" employment situation ended up, if there was enough local interest I would open a shop here.

But I dont see too many modded Subies and have no local reputation or customers to build a "family" repair shop from. Thats what I get for moving to the "country", but I still wont move back to the city.

One of my old techs and a tuner from DT just signed a lease on a place (in Cali) and is starting a you tube channel modding cars. Maybe I missed the boat on the interweb stuff and he has a better idea.

:confused:

Got furloughed in early April. Released this month. Moved my family across the country and purchased a home to lose my job 11 months later. Unemployment (even with CARES) pays less than what I was taking home without all the benefits. I sold almost everything I owned for pennies on the dollar when I left Cali and had to replace what I could when I got here, so I am just a little upside down right now.

Life happens.

All my job leads have dried up. LinkedIn has not worked for me. I have the contact info for a couple head hunters. Hopefully I can find work without having to relocate. I anticipate a very long commute if I can.

• 1 month later...
Something will come up. Always does.

Hey how is going buddy, I was thinking about you guys the other day.

I hope things work out for your family very soon. I might have a couple of connections but my 'network' is pretty small out here compared to Cali. If there is anything I can do to help please don't hesitate to drop me a line, i mean it.

Henry & Veronica

Hey how is going buddy, I was thinking about you guys the other day.

I hope things work out for your family very soon. I might have a couple of connections but my 'network' is pretty small out here compared to Cali. If there is anything I can do to help please don't hesitate to drop me a line, i mean it.

Henry & Veronica

Small world. Had no idea you had moved out to the DC area. Hope all is well for both of you!

Yeah we moved out here in late 2015. We are in the Sterling area, if that makes any sense to you yet. I still get the names of little towns thrown my way and have no idea were that is.

Actually we are walking distance to MachV performance.

• 1 year later...