LegacyGT.com

Does one really need the full Borla cat back, given stock pipe size?

thejazzcat

I have my eyes set on the Borla exhaust for my 05 LGT, I love the Borla sound. I read that our stock pipe diameter is 2.5 to the y, which is the same size as the Borla piping for that section of pipe.

Given the same diameters, is there any reason why I should go with the full catback vs an axleback version? Does the Borla center pipe have a feature or design that the stock piping doesn't?

-thejazzcat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given the same diameters, is there any reason why I should go with the full catback vs an axleback version? Does the Borla center pipe have a feature or design that the stock piping doesn't?

The Borla catback system uses a slip-joint and clamp type setup. I don't know if they have an axelback option for mating up to the stock midpipe. It is only with a 3" downpipe that drone becomes an issue (for most)

I has the borla full catback

Def has resinator

I modified after few years , cut it out went straight pipe

No drone either way , i think it sounds great either way

Only other catback id go with would be invidia

Also i went w invidia vcatless dwn, perrin bigtube up/ headers

Perrin shortram cai, tgv deletes

Upgraded all bushings and mounts

The Borla catback system uses a slip-joint and clamp type setup. I don't know if they have an axelback option for mating up to the stock midpipe. It is only with a 3" downpipe that drone becomes an issue (for most)

So what I think I am getting here is the resonator is the key difference between the Borla cat midpipe and the stocker, and that downpipe size matters as far as whether the resonator should remain or not?

My downpipe choice to pair would be a grimmspeed, so that sounds like I would proabaly want to at least start with the resonator on to avoid drone since that's a full 3" downpipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what I think I am getting here is the resonator is the key difference between the Borla cat midpipe and the stocker, and that downpipe size matters as far as whether the resonator should remain or not?

My downpipe choice to pair would be a grimmspeed, so that sounds like I would proabaly want to at least start with the resonator on to avoid drone since that's a full 3" downpipe?

Apparently Borla is the quietest, it'll probably sound great with an aftermarket downpipe. Don't cut out the resonator, it's an expensive catback system and holds value well if kept original.

• 1 month later...
Apparently Borla is the quietest, it'll probably sound great with an aftermarket downpipe. Don't cut out the resonator, it's an expensive catback system and holds value well if kept original.

Maybe the older style Borla didnt have that b/c round one with my other LGT i had a Borla and the Y pipe didnt have a resonator it was horrible on the highway (drone wise) but I could have added a XR1 resonator to clean that up except I found a Bosal v1.5.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived