LegacyGT.com

Bummer, my LGT will sit for the next year...

My car will be parked in a garage for the next year....is there any type of maintenance schedule I should follow so that after the year has passed, my LGT will be good to go? Unfortunately this car will not be driven for an entire year.

I will be able to have it driven maybe twice a month.

Before I put it in the garage, I will top off the tank and add STABIL fuel stabilizer to prevent rusting. Also change the oil and filter as well as do a wash and wax. Am I on the right track?

Yes, you're on the right track. Fuel tank rust isn't such a big deal anymore with internally coated or plastic tanks. Might even want to do an oil change prior as well. I'm not sure what type of garage it will be kept in, but you could also consider a car cover to help keep dust/dirt off of it. I've also heard about blocking off all outer points of entry for critters (exhaust, intake, cabin intake, etc) but that seems to be more for barn/outside storage.

I'll second the advice above to drive it at least once every few weeks, as that will help prevent any major issue from developing.

Yes, jack stands will be good. Not for the suspension, but for your tires(some people just take the wheels off).

Change/top off fluids(and fuel stabilizer for the fuel), lift wipers, park in gear with no parking brake(if jacked up, neutral would be fine), crack windows, clean the vehicle, loosen accessory belts, and what I personally do, take the battery out and hook it up to a trickle charger(HF might have cheap ones).

If you do all that, you can just leave it as is. No need to run it twice a month; just remember the ECU will have to re-learn everything when you start it back up.

A trickle charger would be a good idea too. I like Battery Minder myself, but Battery Tender and many others are out there too.

I would also consider getting some desiccant packs and putting them in the car to make sure you don't end up with any moisture problems, depending on the climate.

You're all on the right track, a trickle charger will make sure your battery isn't shot by this time next year.

Move the car periodically if you're able to (every couple of months should be fine) just to avoid flat spots on the tires.

Don't leave your parking brake up, as it may cause issues if it sits too long like that.

Leaving an open baking soda container in your car will help to neutralize any odors.

Clean/Wax/Seal your car then cover it with a car cover when not in use, cover any spots rodents may find their way in.

You'll need to use STABIL as fuel goes bad quickly.

Change the oil.

Get a trickle charger. I leave my car in a garage without being driven, typically for 3 months at a time. Battery was always dead, car had horrible times cranking so I got one of these:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CITK8S/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger: Automotive[/ame]

Definitely worth it.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

I have a trickle charger on my car over winter. Its not on all the time though. Generally on for a week out of every three or four and that's fine to cover the slow drain from the keyless entry, car computer and audio system. The battery is on its 13th year now and cranks strong still.

I don't change the oil when I park it. That's part of the spring routine. I've never had any engine issues. I pour in fuel stabilizer. I have seen what happens to carburetors when you don't and although our cars are fuel injected, I'm sure gelled fuel would be very bad.

Archived