LegacyGT.com

FreeSSM with 2011 and higher models

Hello!

I've ordered a VAG-Com Cable with FTDI chip to use FreeSSM. After some researches, I've found the following compatible models:

Legacy®/Liberty®/Outback®/Baja®, Impreza® (incl. WRX + STi), Forester®, Exiga® and Tribeca® starting with model year 1999 up to model year 2009.

Model year 2010 is already supported, too, but some Measuring Blocks may be missing and some Diagnostic Codes may not be displayed as plaintext.

I'd like to know if someone with 2011 or higher LGT model could use FreeSSM succesfully. I've ordered a VAG-COM cable, but I think it won't work because FreeSSM uses ISO 14230 protocol (KWP2000) and 2011 and higher Subaru models uses ISO 15765-4 protocol (see Subaru bulletin on https://obdclearinghouse.com/Files/viewFile?fileID=1594)

Forget FreeSsM. Go BtSsm:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/btssm-bluetooth-adapter-app-v-2-267811.html

Wired, wireless, K-line, CAN bus, pick your pison.

Hi Perscitus!

I have an Obdlink MX Bluetooth but my hardware rev is 2.2/R3 (BtSsm requires R4). I’ve sent two emails to developer asking about a trial period to know if my Obdlink is really incompatible and with the following doubt: Does BtSsm perform a clear memory 2 (full TCU learned codes reset) or just memory clear (that does not reset learned codes)? I asked about trial period to test my Obdlink MX. If it doesn’t work, I’ll test with VAG-COM cable that is estimated to be delivered on April 20th. Unfortunately, I had no answer from developer.

I’ve already payed U$11 for a cable that I think is incompatible with FreeSSM and I don’t pay more U$10 for BtSsm if it won’t work with my cable and BT device (that’s the reason I asked about a free trial).

That is it! I appreciate your help. I’ve already considered BtSsm, but due a lack of answer from developer, I decided to find another way to access my ECU and TCU.

Regards,

Daniel

Most of the GT owners in the US & CA, just use their Cobb AP for datalogging. Almost everyone who tunes them in the US uses Cobb AP so we end buying them anyways. It is opposite for the rest of the world.

BtSSM does not work with OBDlink (any of them) I have tried on revision 2/2 with both R3 and R4 firmware on my galaxy S8. No go on android 8 or 9 installation.

Nice hearing that Obdlink is not compatible with BtSsm. Developer's site informs that R4 should work, but in practice, it's not true.

BtSsm developer finally answered me. Unfortunately, BtSsm can not perform memory clear 2.

Thanks for helping me!

Most of the GT owners in the US & CA, just use their Cobb AP for datalogging. Almost everyone who tunes them in the US uses Cobb AP so we end buying them anyways. It is opposite for the rest of the world.

Hello dgoodhue!

I have a JDM model. Even if I have a USDM model, Cobb Ap is not a choice for me (too expensive).

Anyway, I had an info from someone with a 2013 LGT that succesfully connected his TCU/ECU with FreSSM. I thought it wouldn't work because it uses ISO 14230 communication protocol (KWP2000) while 2011 and higher Subaru models uses ISO 15765-4 protocol. My VAG-COM is estimated to be delivered on April 20th, then I'll test it with FreeSSM ;-)

Anyway, thanks for helping me ;-)

Edited by shi_daniel

Not sure where you guys are getting the info about BtSsm not working with OBDLink devices. Its a mystery.

I was the original tester and power user back in 2014/2015, who worked with BtSsm developer on all new features and beta testing, helped add TCU support and experimental CAN support, etc.

The software most certainly supports OBDLink LX and MX series devices (no longer remember which revisions and up and which firmware and up).

Worked flawlessly in Kline and CAN mode on my 2010 and still works on a 2015-2019 WRX in CAN mode today.

Android 5/6/9/10, maybe others too, didnt use so cant confirm/deny.

Best solution for older Subarus is Tactrix OPv2 + wired USB OTG to phone and BtSsm protocol/connectivity option to reflect the same, but if you need wireless, OBDLink LX/MX should be fine.

Active dev of BtSsm stopped a few years ago as the app was and is feature complete for older gen Subarus.

Newer ones have moved away from SSM and to E-OBDII rendering the app useless for those.