LegacyGT.com

Driver side sag?

I recently purchased some new wheels for my legacy, being the cheapo I am I found them on Craigslist. What I was able to locate was a set of tenzo R Type M's with brand-new Kumho ecstas is on them for $500. The only problem is they are 245/40-18x8

Now, when I test fit these during the purchase they seemed totally fine and would be no issue. However, once the transaction was over and I put the new wheels on my car I realize that while the rear right is totally fine the rear left is about an 3 / 4 in lower, causing it to rub the rear quarter panel on bumps and turns.

My first assumption was the shock was blown so I replaced both shocks in the rear, this did not fix the problem. So then I think well the rear spring must be sagging so I replaced both rear springs which netted me the exact same result.

My mechanic says this is common driver side sag and the only way to fix it is by replacing suspension on all four corners. I'm curious if you guys would agree with this.

I have looked into the prospect of using spacers, Springs from a wagon, suspension setup from a spec B. The issue is as I mentioned before I'm a cheapo and I do not have the money to just throw at this and hope that it fixes the problem.

I'm hoping to get some of your guys thoughts on the proper way to fix this, the cheap way to fix this, or the middle ground.

Thank you guys in advance and let me know if there's any more information I can give you

Ok maybe I'll start the conversation with myself.

I ordered a set of adjustable rear camber bolts. I think this will do a lot to mitigate the problem, however i don't want to totally rely on this because it's going to decrease the life of the tires.

Another question I had. Do the rear springs on a sedan have a different spring rate than those on the wagon? If they are the same maybe i can just throw the wagon spring on the driver side to equal out the difference in ride height from the passenger side.

thanks your guys' input is extremely helpful!

these were sold to me off of a 2002 WRX im psure I can get this worked out on my car if it worked out on that car.

anyone have any ADVISE? Obviously, I realize this is not the recommended route but it was the CHEAP route (I will reiterate - I have very little money to deal with this. The wheels were purchased because the wheels that came on mine were out of round)

I know there is a lot of people on here that haven't dealt with this exact problem, but im sure there are a few and at the very least someone who's had a little more experience with these cars and the suspension on them could POSSIBLY shed some light on a route to make this work.

I am in a bind here fellas. I KNOW I made a mistake buying these wheels, but they look AMAZING and I don't have the money to just retry this purchase.

any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Im gonna underline ADVICE/HELP. not well your an idiot go spend a bunch more money and move on.

*I might also mention again that the passenger side wheel has NEVER rubbed just the driver side.*

Lets change the subject.... forget about the wheels that is a secondary concern to the fact that my drivers side is sitting 3/4 inches lower than the passenger side. How do I fix this? do i go ahead and by front suspension? All bushings have been thoroughly inspected and are in good shape.

Well, when I needed to buy the wheels I decided I wanted to go aftermarket because the 5 spokes are butt ugly, also the purchase has been made already. Again, I am well aware that this was a stupid decision, but im sticking with it at the moment.

thank you for a constructive suggestion though! I have looked over the LCA bushings and they look pretty good. I will re-check with a closer eye here in the next few hours.

For lack of knowing what else to do my current plan has formed as follows:

-replace front struts (and hope beyond hope this fixes the sag)

-add spacers to all 4 corners 1/4s in the front maybe 5/8s in the back.

Hopefully this will allow me to run this brand new tires down, whereafter I will be stretching some 225s onto these wheels.

I don't know if this will actually fix the problem. I am away from the house until this evening, but plan to do some measuring when I get home. Hopefully this will shed some light on how to move forward

Regarding the driver side sag, sounds like a careful inspection of LCA bushings, shocks, etc. is in order.

Also check that the vehicle hasn't had a badly repair after an accident.

Then the last item on the list - weight of the driver.

453747.png

Also check that the vehicle hasn't had a badly repair after an accident.

Then the last item on the list - weight of the driver.

This is a good point. Maybe the car is slightly twisted. Have you considered going to a bodyshop to have them look at the frame geometry or whatever? Good luck man.

I think mine is slightly different from side to side but it's not too significant and I don't worry about it. I have 235/40's on my car with coilovers and they rub on rare occasions. I don't know how you got 245's in there! Different offset I guess? 245 seems pretty extreme though unless you have an Outback with those factory flares.

Pics?

Cheap coilovers give you height adjustability

Yeah I've thought about that I. I don't want it to be too stiff.

This is a good point. Maybe the car is slightly twisted. Have you considered going to a bodyshop to have them look at the frame geometry or whatever?

Pics?

Well the car was in a front end collision, which is why the original owner sold it. This has been the biggest fear at the back of my mind. I certainly plan to take it to a body shop when I have more cash.

I would take it in and half it inspected. It shouldn’t cost much to get a quote. In fact it would be cheaper than blindly replacing parts. Just putting that out there.

That is a very good point. I honestly hadn't thought of it from the perspective of getting a "quote".

That said I semi-blindly threw some parts on yesterday. Replaced front struts and it made quite the difference. now instead of a 3/4 inch sag im looking at 1/4 inch.

While I was doing this I took the opportunity to check the driver side LCA bushing more closely. Although it looks totally fine from the side that is easily viewed from the wheel well, on the back side it is destroyed. Do you guys think this could account for that last 1/4 inch?

I also installed my adjustable rear camber bolts, and while doing so took the opportunity to replace the inner RCA bushings which were both also completely destroyed. This seemed to be a very minor improvement in terms of wheel rub but felt great on my test drive up the street and back. I plan to get an alignment once I have installed some spacers. *the car is parked until this is all sorted out*

*I've been trying to add pictures, not having much luck.*

Archived