LegacyGT.com

which yellow h3 bulb would you go with?

VXCL

my first choice so far is Piaa ion plasmas at $40 a pair

then piaa ion crystal at $40 a pair

i came across some hella yellow h3 bulbs for $20 a pair. thats half price! thats $20 i could use fro some subaru floor mats.

anyways ive seen the piaa ion plasmas and they look great and they arent overhwlmingly yellow due to the blue and purple in them.

anybody using a yellow h3 bulb? or any of the ones i listed? im getting them for perforance in wet conditions as well as they look awesome contrasted against xenons.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

I have a set of the japanese piaa ion plasmas, they are really nice looking, and light up the road close to the car very nice. Their contrast in the wet or even just at night is very good, deffinetly better then stock. I think someone posted a picture of keefe's car (who has the same piaa ions) you can see an example of how bright they are then. Its like a head on shot when lined up with a bunch of other subarus.

thanks for the response guys. i would hate to pay $40 for bulbs. Piaa ion plasmas do look great though. anyone ever seen the piaa ion crystals? would they be simialr to the insanely bright yellow on an is300? i think the plasmas would be better in the rain over the crytals though. decisions decisions.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

I have All-Weather Osrams from powerbulbs.co.uk, they are double the stock wattage and seem to have good color. The main issue you will run into is not the bulbs, but the design of the foglight.....they seem to be more for looks than performance. I was driving home in heavy fog last night and it made no difference to have the foglights on, even with brighter amber bulbs.

im used to just a bmw xenon projector setup i had in my acura. it was more then efficient for driving. im just trying to get as much visibility in wet conditions as possible. i figure i got fogs stock so lets make worek as best as possible.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

...you want yellow???

Then xenonk (Keefe) is the man to talk to...I believe he is using a JDM type/brand...maybe PIAA ...I'm not 100% sure!!!

CRAZY KEN

Yes, I run PIAA Crystal Ion Yellow.. and man, they are really yellow. PIAA carries a 1-year warranty on the bulbs in case of defectiveness of the filament (not that uncommon for PIAA, but more common for other bulbs cheaper bulbs that burn out from constant on-off flickering and shorter life span.. I would know, I went through a lot of different and cheaper bulbs on the WRX before I got fed up and went with Catz HIDs and PIAA products).

Keefe

I have All-Weather Osrams from powerbulbs.co.uk, they are double the stock wattage and seem to have good color. The main issue you will run into is not the bulbs, but the design of the foglight.....they seem to be more for looks than performance. I was driving home in heavy fog last night and it made no difference to have the foglights on, even with brighter amber bulbs.

higher wattage doesnt normally mean it's brighter (compare HID 35watt bulbs vs conventional halogen bulbs, the lumens or candle-power are different). My fogs on the car are just fine as actual fog lights are enough for you to see about no more than 50 feet in front of you and UNDER the fog and cover as wide as possible to find the fog-line (aka the white line on the edge of paving). (hence the mounting of the lights are lower than stock headlights). If you want some distance, you might be thinking of aftermarket driving lights which have a narrower beam pattern for more distance. This is the most common type of lighting you will see for aftermarket "fog lights". There's even longer range of lighting that the open Dakkar Rally (and I had a set on the WRX) which were "spot lights" or pencil beam lighting. If you want to see distance and 10% of coverage, those were it.

Keefe

Keefe

I plan to look at the 'driving' pattern for the Hella FF100's once Rallyperformance realeases their kit for the LGT later this month. Just not sure how they will look cosmetically....more like the large round lamps from the WRX or Outback.

DK - As far as aim.....sure. As long as it can be corrected, they should work better. I haven't had the chance to check out what provisions there are for sure.....though I don't recall there being any either.

I'm using the ion crystal bulbs on mine and all I can say this is one bright bulb, it lights up the road nicely especially in the rain. Just brings out the confidence in night time driving. And also I am using a PIAA Starwhite bulb for the lowbeam(H7), it is a little whiter than the stock bulbs but not as white as your typical superwhite bulb but with the two lights together it is one bright road ahead of you.

Yes, I run PIAA Crystal Ion Yellow.. and man, they are really yellow
hey keefe thanks for the info. would you say they look similar to the is300 yellow? have you ever seen the piaa ion plasmas? i used them once on my friends sc400 but they werent projector fogs so they were yellow with blue and purple tint. not bright yellow though. i think im leaning towards the ion crystals. i really like how classy the is300s lighting setup looks.

also if any of you have a link in your favs to a thread on how to take the front bumper off that would be great.

THANKS AGAIN guys!

peace

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

hey keefe thanks for the info. would you say they look similar to the is300 yellow? have you ever seen the piaa ion plasmas? i used them once on my friends sc400 but they werent projector fogs so they were yellow with blue and purple tint. not bright yellow though. i think im leaning towards the ion crystals. i really like how classy the is300s lighting setup looks.

also if any of you have a link in your favs to a thread on how to take the front bumper off that would be great.

THANKS AGAIN guys!

peace

Plasma Ions are more blue than yellow. The Ion Crystals I have are just YELLOW, and yea, it what you would see out of a Lexus SC300 or whatever other car that they use for yellow bulbs. Mine are purely yellow (combined with my JDM PIAA Ion Crsytals as well).. I might not see as clear as a set of HID headlights, but I see THROUGH the fog and catch any reflective objects from afar.

It's not hard to take off the bumper. Remove the grille, it's held on by clips, there's clips under the bumper, you'll have to remove the plastic skip plate, and there's more clips where the wheel wells are, you'll have to peel back the fender liner to see them.

But to install the fog lights, you dont have to take off the bumper, just peel back some of the skid plate/fender liner under and behind the fog light. It's held on with push-in clips.

Keefe

Keefe

Has anyone tried any of the HIR bulbs? H7 or H3?

I may go with the HIR H3 bulb to keep the color similar to the H7.

Megan header,Perrin TMIC, TD06-20G,AEM CAI, Lachute DP, Avo BOV, BC Coilovers, Magnaflow catback, Hawk HPS pads, Stoptech lines, Snow WI

• 1 year later...
The Ion Crystals I have are just YELLOW, and yea, it what you would see out of a Lexus SC300 or whatever other car that they use for yellow bulbs. Mine are purely yellow (combined with my JDM PIAA Ion Crsytals as well)..

Keefe

just ordered mine from ebay.. $50 shipped.. if these are "crappy" then i'll have to go with the 24K gold HIDs from Banzai Express.. my 6000K kit from them is amazing :wub: so far at least lol

Archived